Impact

2015 Best Picture predictions!

13 hours ago, stripe said:

The big short, Hateful eight and In the heart of the sea are still less probable than Steve Jobs, Inside Out or Carol.

RT is not the only indicator to look at, and 85% is solid enough. There are a lot of BP contenders with a 85% RT score.

Anyways, I am also very doubtful about SJ chances at this point.

steve jobs audience reception mixed and box office was a high profile failure, only $15m domestic.

heart of sea and big short will have better box office approx $60-70m for both with an ensemble cast.

inside out is pitching for animated category not BP candidate this year.

Carol too dark and indie. Ditto Son of Saul.

Edited by Halba

Number of experts predicting a win/nomination on Gold Derby:

Spotlight: 11/21

The Martian: 5/20

Joy: 4/18

Carol: 2/17

Steve Jobs: 0/21

Bridge of Spies: 0/20

Room: 0/19

The Revenant: 0/18

Brooklyn: 0/14

The Hateful Eight: 0/14

Inside Out: 0/11

Mad Max: 0/6

Beasts of No Nation: 0/4

The Danish Girl: 0/4

Straight Outta Compton: 0/3

The Big Short: 0/2

Son of Saul: 0/2

Trumbo: 0/2

Black Mass: 0/1

Suffragette: 0/1

Truth: 0/1

• Like 1

On 7/11/2015 1:27:24, Halba said:

steve jobs audience reception mixed and box office was a high profile failure, only $15m domestic.

heart of sea and big short will have better box office approx $60-70m for both with an ensemble cast.

inside out is pitching for animated category not BP candidate this year.

Carol too dark and indie. Ditto Son of Saul.

BO is a factor, but not the factor.

Buzz or early word with heart of the sea and big short are barely existent. Maybe we can see a surprising rise of one of this two films, but with the two?

Look at what happened in October, the abundance of contenders looking for awards attention killed the chances of many films. In December it could happen again. There's no room for Hateful, Revenant, Joy, Big short and In the heart of the sea. And the thunder of Star Wars won't help.

13 hours ago, Impact said:

More experts are predicting Room to be nominated then The Revenant?

A lot of them are not including unseen movies this year in their predictions because they got burned in previous years with surefire late year contenders that dissapointed like Unbroken.

6 hours ago, stripe said:

Look at what happened in October, the abundance of contenders looking for awards attention killed the chances of many films. In December it could happen again. There's no room for Hateful, Revenant, Joy, Big short and In the heart of the sea. And the thunder of Star Wars won't help.

Revenant goes wide in January, and the other 4 have 2 weeks of holidays to not suffocate each other. I think two of those five at least, will do well. 

• Like 1

On 11/8/2015, 10:08:52, Impact said:

More experts are predicting Room to be nominated then The Revenant?

Why not? At least critics have seen Room in theatres. If Oscars is your thing I think a Christmas release has as much disadvantages as not. December historically produced a lot of Best Picture winners but nothing for the last ten years. Oct and Nov have taken eight of those ten. At least recently, debuting close to the Venice/Telluride/Toronto trifecta seems the best path to a competitive nom, which is exactly what Room has done.

5 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

The Martian isn't even my favorite movie this year, but I'm honestly rooting for The Martian for BP so Ridley can win his first two Oscars in one night.

I'd like to see it win because it would be the first Scifi film to win the Oscar, that would be historic.  I don't think Spotlight is a lock like 12YAS was versus Gravity.

• Like 5

Ah! So many movies to see. I agree Scott is deserving and the scifi embarbo has to end eventually but I'll wait until Jan 1 to declare my winner. I think The Martian will still be in contention at that point and I'm rooting for that much at least. One thing I will say: I hope to God the Oscar doesn't go to a $20 mil gross film. If one of the smaller titles like Spotlight takes BP it ought to do so on the strength of a decent theatrical run. If none of them break out then I'm perfectly happy with The Martian. 

5 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

Why the hell does that matter?

What's wrong with expecting a minimum of theatrical success for a BP winner? In unadjusted terms the last ten years of BP domestic grosses have been as low as they were in the 1980s. In adjusted terms, the lowest ever. It's a recipe for irrelevance.

21 minutes ago, Tau Ceti said:

What's wrong with expecting a minimum of theatrical success for a BP winner? In unadjusted terms the last ten years of BP domestic grosses have been as low as they were in the 1980s. In adjusted terms, the lowest ever. It's a recipe for irrelevance.

Then it fits the Academy's mission perfectly

I don't see anything wrong with going for low grossers. it's a big help to get people to actually watch these movies, I mean I think there was a study that said The Hurt Locker was the most rented/netflix'd movie of 2010 which it obviously wouldn't have been otherwise. The oscars have always been promo anyway. Something the martian isn't dying to get more of.

• Like 2

On one hand I don't think how much money a movie makes should have anything to do with weather a film gets nominated or not, but on the other I feel the academy voters purposely won't vote for a film because it's a blockbuster/or genre film. or if it is an Oscar bait film, if it completely bombs even though it's great they seem to ignore them as well.

I guess the thing is film is so subjective and because of that voters are biased, I mean a film can be written and acted and everything done great, but if the story isn't something the critics will get behind, then it won't get nominated. 

• Like 1