Impact

2015 Best Picture predictions!

3 hours ago, TStechnij said:

Star Wars likely won't get a nomination, but Harry Potter isn't the a good comparison. Star Wars has always had more prestige. 

These predictions are fun and everyone brings something to them because they meditate and look at precursors and precedents. And then there is Halba, who judges completely based on his reaction to the movies he hasn't seen. Is there a block button?

I think Star Wars has a chance since original trilogy changed the film industry many people growing were inspired by those movies now working in the industry. Plus unlike the TPM the force awakens is good. If there going to be 9 or 10 nominations I see the force awakens being nominated. 

9 hours ago, Darth Dexter of Hoth said:

I think Star Wars has a chance since original trilogy changed the film industry many people growing were inspired by those movies now working in the industry. Plus unlike the TPM the force awakens is good. If there going to be 9 or 10 nominations I see the force awakens being nominated. 

I agree the extra slots were made for movies like TFA and I agree also that the voters can get suckered in by nostalgia no less than everybody else. It could get in. But I also think that:

Spoiler

The movie is far too derivative. I really enjoyed it but blowing up another Death Star is not the height of creativity. Once the flush of the opening passes I think that criticism will become more prominent.

• Like 1

After having seen TFA, I doubt it'll get in. It is too much of a rehash to be Oscar BP material. If DH2 didn't get a BP nom (being the more mature movie and having slightly better reviews), I doubt TFA will.

I won't say a nom is out of question because TFA is making way too much money to be ignored.

lol people still thinking The Martian will get nominated. There are like 3 to 4 mainstream movies that would get a nom before it (SW included). Doesn't BP contenders need like 5% 1st votes? Can you see anyone putting The Martian as their favorite movie of the year? I know I don't.

Edited by Goffe

3 hours ago, Goffe said:

After having seen TFA, I doubt it'll get in. It is too much of a rehash to be Oscar BP material. If DH2 didn't get a BP nom (being the more mature movie and having slightly better reviews), I doubt TFA will.

I won't say a nom is out of question because TFA is making way too much money to be ignored.

lol people still thinking The Martian will get nominated. There are like 3 to 4 mainstream movies that would get a nom before it (SW included). Doesn't BP contenders need like 5% 1st votes? Can you see anyone putting The Martian as their favorite movie of the year? I know I don't.

You only need 307 votes to get nominated, that's nothing.

On 12/18/2015, 6:44:47, Halba said:

star wars out of contention for a nom. its too fantasy oriented not typical oscar fare.

Lol if it grosses $750 million+ DOM, it's locked for a BP nomination. The #1 film of all time at DOM box office won't get denied a nod with 90%+ on RT. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, stripe said:

After seeing how BFCA has changed their rules to let TFA be nommed, we really have to take it as a real and serious contender.

Yup, critics, for the most part are glowing with love for it. Also It's looking to break pretty much every BO recorded in history, two little films called Avatar and Titanic did that and well we all know how that turned out.  

TFA officially top ten on Gold Derby for BP!!!

It is definitely getting nominated. It will be the new DOM record holder before voting closes, and I see no way they ignore that combined with its impeccable reviews. I truly believe The Martian is in more danger of missing out now than TFA. Who is going to vote for that as their favorite over TFA? The nostalgia alone will just be too strong in the Academy. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

I firmly believe this will be a year of 9. Four populist movies (Inside Out, Mad Max, Martian, Star Wars), two mid-size movies (The Big Short, Revenant), and three indies (Carol, Room, Spotlight). If there's a 10th spot it'll be Bridge of Spies, Brooklyn, or SOC, but that's looking increasingly unlikely.

2 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

I firmly believe this will be a year of 9. Four populist movies (Inside Out, Mad Max, Martian, Star Wars), two mid-size movies (The Big Short, Revenant), and three indies (Carol, Room, Spotlight). If there's a 10th spot it'll be Bridge of Spies, Brooklyn, or SOC, but that's looking increasingly unlikely.

Agreed with your 9. Still holding out hope for Inside Out if there's a 10th. But Brooklyn or BoS will nab it if there's 10. Better yet, IO replaces The Martian (not happening, I know). 

30 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Agreed with your 9. Still holding out hope for Inside Out if there's a 10th. But Brooklyn or BoS will nab it if there's 10. Better yet, IO replaces The Martian (not happening, I know). 

Both will get in. If it's only one, it'll be The Martian, but I see no reason why IO won't be nominated.

If there were 5 noms I would say they would of been Big Short, Carol, The Martian, The Revenant and Spotlight (The Martian I'm saying as it seems to be one of the frontrunners for director, and since only one film in history (The Divine Lady) has won director without being nominated for picture (not including the first Oscars where there were 2 director categories) so that is why)

All I know is that the PGA noms will be extremely telling this year. As will DGA. So far, these are the only films I can say with confidence are in for BP:

Carol

Mad Max: Fury Road

Spotlight

And Ridley Scott sure as hell isn't a frontrunner for Director.

• Like 1

Not saying hes the frontrunner, but he does seem to appear a bunch of times along with the director of Spotlight and Carol. (Interesting how I keep on reading Big Short as a frontrunner yet nobody seems to be saying McKay for the win)

Why would Inside Out happen? No campaign has been made for it and it has already been forgotten critically. It isn't in the top ten....

Also, Star Wars isn't locked. No one is predicting it except Gold Derby who has it in tenth which 98% wouldn't equal a nom. 

Also, Spotlight keeps winning critics groups but all I hear about is how Carol and Mad Max are winning them. Kind of weird.