Impact

2015 Best Picture predictions!

6 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

I firmly believe this will be a year of 9. Four populist movies (Inside Out, Mad Max, Martian, Star Wars), two mid-size movies (The Big Short, Revenant), and three indies (Carol, Room, Spotlight). If there's a 10th spot it'll be Bridge of Spies, Brooklyn, or SOC, but that's looking increasingly unlikely.

This could be great for ratings.  It would be the most populist Oscars in years if that happened.  Especially if Big Short and Revenant get over 100m, and/or if The Hateful Eight pulls a surprise unlikely nom.

Edited by The Panda Menace

5 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Both will get in. If it's only one, it'll be The Martian, but I see no reason why IO won't be nominated.

IO was only considered before the oscar season kicked in as the populist nominee because it looked like it will be another year full of small movies. But even if it was like that it will be pretty difficult to get the no1 slots since it has its own category to win.

Mad Max didn't look that it will be nominated for anything above the line back in summer even with the great reviews it had. Martian and SW were pretty much also counted as "below the line nominations" movies before they opened. All 3 have a much better chance to get in the BP race than IO does.

2 hours ago, TStechnij said:

Also, Spotlight keeps winning critics groups but all I hear about is how Carol and Mad Max are winning them. Kind of weird. 

That's just because people are trying to guess what's option B to Spotlight's option A. By that time last year we knew it was BirdmanVsBoyhood, this year the dust hasn't settled yet. 

So I did some research and every film that became the number #1 box office hit of all time (since 1939) has been nominated for BP. 

Gone With the Wind (1939)

The Sound of Music (1965) (didn't outgross GWTW, not sure if it ever eclipsed it for a while or not though, so I put it)

The Exorcist (1973)

Jaws (1975)

Star Wars (1977)

E.T. (1982)

Titanic (1997)

Edited by Kalo

13 minutes ago, Kalo said:

So I did some research and every film that became the number #1 box office hit of all time (since 1939) has been nominated for BP. 

The Sound of Music (1965) (didn't outgross GWTW, not sure if it ever eclipsed it for a while or not though, so I put it)

It did outgross it at one point-remember we don't have the exact grosses for all the reissues of GWTW, but I do know it did at one point, also The Exorcist actually was not the biggest ever and apparently The Sting did gross more (which did win BP)

26 minutes ago, Impact said:

It did outgross it at one point-remember we don't have the exact grosses for all the reissues of GWTW, but I do know it did at one point, also The Exorcist actually was not the biggest ever and apparently The Sting did gross more (which did win BP)

Possible, The Sting is only listed to have made $156m though, and Exorcist $193m (in its first run) according to BOM. but that could be a multiple gross as well. either way it bolds very well for TFA chances. 

Edited by Kalo

20 minutes ago, Kalo said:

Possible, The Sting is only listed to have made $156m though, and Exorcist $193m (in its first run) according to BOM. but that could be a multiple gross as well. either way it bolds very well for TFA chances. 

I read somewhere The Sting did make more-remember its likely they have reissues not mentioned either (I remember someone really thought Gone with the Wind made 198M on its first release-where of course it didn't)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Impact said:

I read somewhere The Sting did make more-remember its likely they have reissues not mentioned either (I remember someone really thought Gone with the Wind made 198M on its first release-where of course it didn't)

Yeah, it's just really hard pinpointing exactly what made when before 1980 because of lack of data or record keeping. 

Out of the 12 movies that still have a shot at getting nominated (IMO), this is where they rank on Metacritic:

1. Carol: 95

2. Inside Out: 94

3. Spotlight: 93

4. Mad Max: 89

5. Brooklyn: 87

6. Room: 86

7. (tie) The Big Short: 81

Bridge of Spies: 81

Star Wars: 81

10. The Martian: 80

11. The Revenant: 75

12. Straight Outta Compton: 72

RT:

1. (tie) Brooklyn: 98

Inside Out: 98

3. (tie) Mad Max: 97

Room: 97

Spotlight: 97

6. Star Wars: 95

7. Carol: 94

8. The Martian: 93

9. Bridge of Spies: 91

10. Straight Outta Compton: 89

11. The Big Short: 86

12. The Revenant: 83

Edited by WrathOfHan

On 12/23/2015, 9:10:32, Spaghetti-3PO said:

All I know is that the PGA noms will be extremely telling this year. As will DGA. So far, these are the only films I can say with confidence are in for BP:

Carol

Mad Max: Fury Road

Spotlight

And Ridley Scott sure as hell isn't a frontrunner for Director.

Lol, yeah I feel like the "experts" have absolutely no clue how to predict this year at the moment. We are not going to know the true frontrunners until awards season is in full swing. 

Update, removed Brooklyn, put in Room. Changed Hateful 8 to alt and put Star Wars in from being a alt.

The Big Short

Carol

Inside Out

Mad Max: Fury Road

The Martian

The Revenant

Room

Spotlight

Star Wars

Alt: The Hateful 8

On 11/12/2015 at 0:35 PM, stripe said:

Time to make an update after globes, sag and precursors. Surprised with The Big Short resurgence. Joy is out of the race. Keep in mind those are grosses before nominations are announced. I made a bold statement in March:  the sum of the BO gross of all nominees this year will let the average gross for each movie to be over 100M before the nominations are even announced

Inside Out 357M

The Martian 230M

Mad Max 153M

Creed 130M

Spotlight 35M

Revenant 30M

Carol 30M

The Big Short 30M

Brooklyn 25M

Room 10M

This is my top 10, but I only feel confident with the bolded films. Still see Straight Outta Compton, Hateful Eight, SW7, Bridge of Spies, Steve Jobs or Trumbo as contenders. In that order.

Last predictions before PGA announces nominees Jan 2nd. Grosses made before Oscar noms announced. I have bolded the ones I am confident with.

Star Wars 7 800M

Inside Out 357M

The Martian 230M

Mad Max 153M

The Big Short 50M

Spotlight 30M

Revenant 30M

Brooklyn 23M

Carol 10M

Room 7M

Strong contenders: Bridge of Spies, Straight Outta Compton, Trumbo.

Mmmaybe they can surprise: Steve Jobs, Creed, Sicario, Hateful eight.

Shocking: Danish girl, Beasts of no nation, Youth, Son of Saul.

I think there's gonna be nine noms this year. With that in mind, here's how I tier it. 

Mortal Lock 

1. Spotlight

The Three Movies That Can Beat It

2. Carol

3. Big Short

4. Mad Max

Pretty Confident This Is In

5. Martian

6. Revenant

7. Room

So the last two spots come down to a bunch of movies, but the most legit contenders seem like Brooklyn, Bridge of Spies, Inside Out, Star Wars, and Straight Outta. Wouldn't be floored if a movie that's popped up a ton gets a bunch of number one votes and stuns everyone (hi, Sicario and maybe Ex Machina). For now, I'm putting in.....Bridge of Spies and Straight Outta Compton. But if IO, SW, or Brooklyn makes it in instead, I won't be surprised in the slightest. 

• Like 1