LexJoker

4-Day Wknd Est: AS - 105.3M, Pad - 25.2M, TWR - 24.5M,Taken 3 - 17.44M (pg 109)

Argo only won because of not having that BD nom. 

We know the oscars like to play "shake hands and kiss" when they snub a popular movie/actor for a previous year and then try to make up for it with another similar movie later on down the road. So, one of the biggest examples was when Shakespear in Love beat out Saving Private Ryan. Think they just might give the BP to AS to avoid such a fallout again?

• Like 1

I guess we can chalk this up to an entire generation of people who grew up on Call of Duty turning out, plus the usual older folks going for the Oscar buzz? There's just no explanation really. 

The great trailers and strong marketing no doubt helped.

• Like 1

The teaser was definitely effective, and what this, Lone Survivor, and Act of Valor all have in common in addition to being positive representations of the military is that they involve the "War on Terror" in some way and I guess that combination is particularly resonant. Eastwood/Cooper was a bonus in this movie's case.

Hate to say it, but maybe the attacks in Paris were also a factor...

Edited by tribefan695

Hopefully this holds tomorrow. It seems like every year movies seem to drop on Sunday just as every other Sunday in January. I think NFL plays a big part in those drops. It doesn't make sense. MLK is a national holiday, Sunday numbers should be way better.

• Like 2

BOM has put their predictions as 86/101.

If this doesn't prove that you can open to big numbers any time of the year so long as it's content that people actually want, then I don't know what ever will.

But that's going to be the hard part, trying to figure out what people want. 

• Like 1

Hopefully this holds tomorrow. It seems like every year movies seem to drop on Sunday just as every other Sunday in January. I think NFL plays a big part in those drops. It doesn't make sense. MLK is a national holiday, Sunday numbers should be way better.

Exactly. Conference championships? No one's missing that for a movie they can see next weekend.

• Like 2