LexJoker

4-Day Wknd Est: AS - 105.3M, Pad - 25.2M, TWR - 24.5M,Taken 3 - 17.44M (pg 109)

It is been a long time I watched a war movie where the main character did not have some extraordinary nuanced opinions about the war or great belief in the nothingness of it all.

It was a rather like  war films from the 90's or late 80's that were quite successful.

Edited by Lordmandeep

"Middle America" can be interpreted as middle class America, which is definitely a more accurate assessment of the audience.

ehhhh that's not what I meant. I meant Middle America in the stereotypical sense. And just because it's a stereotype, does not mean that it isn't true. It is middle america really driving this film. 

Well you may see it as suburban folk, but most here are using that term to imply gun happy, flag toting, bible turning Texans. Just know that if AS was pulling $20M for the 4-day, then maybe yes, like HIFR, but when a movie like this is potentially pulling $100M in 4 days, and the fact that theres military installations in every state, people with faith in every state, and people who like guns and USA in every state, it shows AS is sweeping the nation, not the "Heartland."

Yes the Heartland is where the biggest draws may come from, but im tired of posters dumbing out one part of America, and acting like thr other parts are too good. Minnesota is the conplete opposite of Texas and Mississippi and Dex said his FB wall is full of raves. This is not a Heartland or "Mid America" thing, this is a USA (and looking to be worldwide) thing.

I think I see where the problem is now. We have a completely different definition of Middle America. From outside America (at least where I am), we see Middle America as including everyone who doesn't live in a large cosmopolitan city and/or have a very well-educated, intellectual background and/or live in the original colonies/New England and/or Washington and Colorado. (I don't think this made much sense, but it's a convoluted explanation to a convoluted concept that makes sense in our heads but is hard to express out in real and concrete terms I guess?)  Soooooo yeah..... we (meaning me and my friends and etc.) definitely think that Minnesota, Texas, Mississippi, Missouri, Kansas and like Florida and etc. are all Middle America. 

I don't even know lol. Let's just put it down to a difference in definitions?

Edited by riczhang
  • Like 1

The issue is outsiders assume everyone in NY, Colorado and California is some cultured university educated person.

Which is a hilarious concept if you ever visited these places. 

We don't think that about California, just San Francisco. But if you're talking about like Connecticut, Rhode Island, Vermont and etc. Yeah, that is a general perception. 

• Like 2

http://news.yahoo.com/box-office-shocker-american-sniper-targeting-massive-75m-055659243.html;_ylt=AwrBT89P_rlU_t4Ac5JXNyoA

The war film, galvanizing moviegoers in both red states and blue states, is expanding nationwide after nabbing six Oscar nominations on Thursday, including best picture and best actor (Bradley Cooper).

RIP Middle America jokes.. :lol:

• Like 3

I think I see where the problem is now. We have a completely different definition of Middle America. From outside America (at least where I am), we see Middle America as including everyone who doesn't live in a large cosmopolitan city and/or have a very well-educated, intellectual background and/or live in the original colonies/New England and/or Washington and Colorado. (I don't think this made much sense, but it's a convoluted explanation to a convoluted concept that makes sense in our heads but is hard to express out in real and concrete terms I guess?)  Soooooo yeah..... we (meaning me and my friends and etc.) definitely think that Minnesota, Texas, Mississippi, Missouri, Kansas and like Florida and etc. are all Middle America

Lol...this is not true and kinda insulting, but ok.

• Like 1

2ND UPDATE, 2:56 PM Friday: Industry weekend projections are being floated around showing a $61M+ three-day for American Sniper and a four-day of $70.3M. At this point, those figures have to be taken with a grain of salt as they’re based on matinees. As we get closer to the evening, solid figures roll in as the East Coast theaters close out their cash drawers. A more sound estimate for American Sniper is $55M over three days. Why? Sunday is gonna be a hard day to estimate with two NFL conference championship games competing for male eyeballs (the AFC’s New England Patriots vs. Indianapolis Colts and NFC’s Seattle Seahawks vs. Green Bay Packers). Sony/Screen Gems’ The Wedding Ringer is still looking at the mid-$20Ms over four days, including the Martin Luther King Jr. Day holiday. That film will do more business than the Weinstein Co.’s Paddington, which will rally back with weekend matinees. The kid pic should do low-$20Ms over four. Universal-Legendary’s Blackhat is looking to fall outside the top 5 this weekend with $5.8M over FSS and $6.6M over four.

Why isn't Colorado part of middle of America? I see the New England and pacific coast sterotypes but why Colorado?

Lol, I meant Oregon. I get those two mixed up a lot for some strange reason. 

• Like 1

2ND UPDATE, 2:56 PM Friday: Industry weekend projections are being floated around showing a $61M+ three-day for American Sniper and a four-day of $70.3M. At this point, those figures have to be taken with a grain of salt as they’re based on matinees. As we get closer to the evening, solid figures roll in as the East Coast theaters close out their cash drawers. A more sound estimate for American Sniper is $55M over three days. Why? Sunday is gonna be a hard day to estimate with two NFL conference championship games competing for male eyeballs (the AFC’s New England Patriots vs. Indianapolis Colts and NFC’s Seattle Seahawks vs. Green Bay Packers). Sony/Screen Gems’ The Wedding Ringer is still looking at the mid-$20Ms over four days, including the Martin Luther King Jr. Day holiday. That film will do more business than the Weinstein Co.’s Paddington, which will rally back with weekend matinees. The kid pic should do low-$20Ms over four. Universal-Legendary’s Blackhat is looking to fall outside the top 5 this weekend with $5.8M over FSS and $6.6M over four.

Dude, that update is like 10 hours old.

• Like 3

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-shocker-american-sniper-764330?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+thr%2Fnews+%28The+Hollywood+Reporter+-+Top+Stories%29

Clint Eastwood's American Sniper is smashing records at the North American box office, where it's now projected to earn $75 million or more over the long Martin Luther King Jr. weekend, well ahead of expectations.

That would mark the largest opening of all time for the month of January, as well as for a modern-day war movie. To boot, it is one of the top nationwide debuts for an R-rated title. Friday's take alone was an estimated $28 million-$30 million, including $5.3 million from late-night Thursday runs.

Once again taking advantage of the MLK holiday, Hart returns to theaters this weekend in The Wedding Ringer, from Screen Gems. In an unexpected development, the R-rated comedy is finding itself in a close race with family film Paddington for the No. 2 spot. If Friday numbers are any indication, both films could gross in the $23 million range for the four-day weekend (some even have Paddington beating Wedding Ringer).

Despite its topicality in light of the hacking of Sony (reportedly by North Korea) and the star power of Chris HemsworthBlackhat is quickly proving to be the first box office bomb of 2015. The action thriller may not even clear $5 million in its four-day debut, a major stumble considering its $70 million production budget, and possibly putting it at No. 10. 

Selma is poised to come in No. 5 over the holiday weekend with a four-day gross in the $11.5 million range, bringing its domestic total to roughly $29 million. Brad Pitt's Plan B Entertainment and Oprah Winfrey produced the drama, starring David Oyelowo as Martin Luther King. Jr. Paramount is distributing the film in North America.

Nabbing eight Oscar nominations, TWC's The Imitation Game will grow its domestic cume to north of $50 million through Sunday after hearty weekend earnings of roughly $7.7 million. The biopic, starring Benedict Cumberbatch and now in its eighth weekend, is poised to come in No. 7.

Back in the top five, Fox holdover Taken 3, starring Liam Neeson, will take the No. 4 spot with an estimated four-day gross of $18 million, putting its 10-day domestic total at a strong $67 million.

Edited by grim22
  • Like 1