baumer

Baumer's ridiculous, uninformed, stupid list of MY BEST 105 FILMS EVER , FULL LIST PG 42

97) Inception (2010)

Christopher (Jesus) Nolan

The first time I saw the film, I didn't know what to think of it.  Then I saw it again and loved it and now I think it's one of the all time greats.  The film is a classical thriller and, like many great thrillers it is one that is built on an imaginative and damn-good clever concept. To its credit the stepping up of the action aspect does not mean that the ideas that got us here are abandoned because they are not. The cast deliver well. DiCaprio manages to produce an engaging character who emotionally makes sense and it is his performance that helps the deeper material in his subconscious work well and be more accessible to the viewer. Gordon-Levitt is memorable for his action scenes but he is also a good presence generally even if he has a lot less to do.  The concept and ideas are well constructed and presented to the audience and the film itself is not hard to follow but does challenge the viewer to do the one thing that a blockbuster normally doesn't – pay attention. It's a Christopher Nolan film that lives up to the hype, unlike some of his others.

22266bd462aa16fd001ff4d70ad30e2c_large.j

Interesting stuff:

If you take the first letters of the main characters' names - Dom, Robert, Eames, Arthur, Mal and Saito - they spell "Dreams". If you add Peter, Ariadne and Yusuf, the whole makes "Dreams Pay", which is what they do for a mind thief.

It took seven years for Christopher Nolan to write screen play for this movie.

• Like 16

96) Office Space (1999)

Mike Judge

Mike Judge won me over with this gem. I love a good satire, and this is one of the best. It's like the comic strip 'Dilbert' writ large. The film is chock-full of delicious tidbits of cubicle-farm stupidity, micromanagement and insipid priorities. The whole culture of the corporate office gets turned on its head when Ron Livingston's jaded character experiences a bizarre hypnosis 'accident' that changes his entire perspective, making him a catalyst for change in the other characters. The resulting turn of events propels the film into regions of humor and situations highly contrary to the mundane existence portrayed at the outset. The characters are richly funny, the writing is poignant and the laughs are very satisfying. Setting the film's nerdy cast against a backdrop of gangsta rap only adds to the hilarity by creating such an improbable juxtaposition. This is one to watch annually, as there are so many moments to enjoy in the film. It's also one of the most quotable films of all time.....YEA....I'M GOING TO HAVE TO ASK YOU COME BACK TOMORROW.

Samir Na-na-na....not gonna work here anymore HAHAHA.

I'm gonna show her my O-face

Trivia:  After poor box office, the movie gained cult status on video. Mike Judge has said more people talk to him about this movie than any project he has ever worked on. Judge was offered a chance to make a sequel "Office Space 2: Still Renting," but said that he had been through enough anguish over the first one that he didn't want to put himself through the experience again.

milton-office-space1.jpg      office_space_quotes_09.jpg

Edited by baumer
  • Like 9

97) Inception (2010)

Christopher (Jesus) Nolan

The first time I saw the film, I didn't know what to think of it.  Then I saw it again and loved it and now I think it's one of the all time greats.  The film is a classical thriller and, like many great thrillers it is one that is built on an imaginative and damn-good clever concept. To its credit the stepping up of the action aspect does not mean that the ideas that got us here are abandoned because they are not. The cast deliver well. DiCaprio manages to produce an engaging character who emotionally makes sense and it is his performance that helps the deeper material in his subconscious work well and be more accessible to the viewer. Gordon-Levitt is memorable for his action scenes but he is also a good presence generally even if he has a lot less to do.  The concept and ideas are well constructed and presented to the audience and the film itself is not hard to follow but does challenge the viewer to do the one thing that a blockbuster normally doesn't – pay attention. It's a Christopher Nolan film that lives up to the hype, unlike some of his others.

22266bd462aa16fd001ff4d70ad30e2c_large.j

Interesting stuff:

If you take the first letters of the main characters' names - Dom, Robert, Eames, Arthur, Mal and Saito - they spell "Dreams". If you add Peter, Ariadne and Yusuf, the whole makes "Dreams Pay", which is what they do for a mind thief.

It took seven years for Christopher Nolan to write screen play for this movie.

97? please. and not one mention of Mr. Hardy.. tsk tsk.

• Like 1

Hardy was a small part of Inception.

Guys these are my top 105 films of all time.  ALL TIME.  Do you have any idea how many films I've seen?  4000, maybe 5000. This is the best of the best.  All these films are incredible.  So being on the list is honour enough.  :)

Hardy was a small part of Inception.

Guys these are my top 105 films of all time.  ALL TIME.  Do you have any idea how many films I've seen?  4000, maybe 5000. This is the best of the best.  All these films are incredible.  So being on the list is honour enough.   :)

Okay fair enough, but I wouldn't say Hardy's part was small really..it was nearly as big as Levitt's. he also has the best line in the whole movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RGbrEmVrhc  

Edited by Kalo
  • Like 1

95) The Town (2010)

Ben Affleck

"The Town" opens with the factoid that the one-square mile area of Charleston, Massachusetts, has bred more bank robbers and armored-car thieves than any place in America. The first scene depicts the considerable attention to detail that these criminals take to keep themselves from being nabbed. Doug MacRay, played by Affleck and his gang splash bleach on the crime scene to remove traces of their DNA. They don ghoulish Halloween masks and outfits, wield fully automatic submachine guns, and destroy anything that might help the authorities to identify them. First, they confiscate all the cell phones from employees and customers and then immerse them in an aquarium of water. Second, another gang member sabotages the surveillance cameras and zaps the memory storage devices for these cameras in a micro-wave oven. When somebody activates a silent alarm, the robbers take a bank employee, Claire Keesey (Rebecca Hall), as a hostage, blindfold her, and bind her hands behind her back. Later, after driving her around to disorient her, they turn Claire loose. Naturally, they torch the stolen vehicle used for their getaway. During the heist, however, Claire catches a glimpse of a tattoo on the nape of the neck of Doug's psychotic, trigger-happy partner, but she doesn't divulge this important detail to FBI.  It's an awesome premise and a tight and tense story.  Ben Affleck shocked us all when he did Gone Baby Gone.  Then he blew me away with his next two efforts, both which are on this list somewhere.  Affleck has a keen eye for detail and he is a terrific writer, making sure everything here sounds authentic.  The Town might be the best bank robbery film ever made.  MIGHT. 

The_Town_Movie_Image-36.jpg

Trivia:  The first cut of the film was over 4 hours

Blake Lively auditioned with a Boston accent, and was so convincing Affleck asked her where in Boston she grew up.

Jeremy Renner received an Oscar nomination for his work

The+Town+Screen+3.jpg

• Like 9

Okay fair enough, but I wouldn't say Hardy's part was small really..it was nearly as big as Levitt's. he also has the best line in the whole movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RGbrEmVrhc  

But aren't you nitpicking right now?  Why does it matter that I didn't mention him in the review?  

• Like 1