baumer

Baumer's ridiculous, uninformed, stupid list of MY BEST 105 FILMS EVER , FULL LIST PG 42

99) Rambo First Blood Part II (1985)

George P. Cosmatos

Screenplay by James Cameron and Sylvester Stallone

Produced by Mario Kassar and Andrew Vajna

There was a time in my life that this was my number one film of all time.  Granted this was in my teen years and although my perception of film appreciation of the art has changed, my love for this film has not.  It is a perfect sequel in which the story is furthered, the hero is bigger than he was in the first and the stakes have risen exponentially.  IMO, with the exception of a few others, no one can do the things Stallone did and continues to do on screen.  He is one of the most gifted physical actors in film history.  This is one of his highlights.  This is the kind of film Michael Bay would have directed in the 80's if he wasn't making music videos in his basement at the age of 20.  Rambo is larger than life and he is sent to Vietnam on a faulty mission to ostensibly look for POW's that congress knows doesn't exist.  Little do they know that Rambo is a little better at his job than they anticipated.  He naturally gets captured and tortured by the horrible bad guys and then escapes and extracts his form of comeuppance in the way that only Rambo can.  This is action packed from start to finish and it has a nice tight script by both James Cameron (yes, that James Cameron) and Stallone.  It's a frenetic and lively film filled with terrific one liners, larger than life characters and Stallone at the apex of his career.  

b15b77ea384606ec61bdb702cbd2b544.jpg

This was the first film to open in more than 2000 theaters in the US/Canada

Carolco's opening music for their logo was the opening few bars of Rambo.

Both Rambo and Rocky IV grossed 300 million WW in 1985.

• Like 5

I think Cameron consider the Rambo II script not his. Apparently, Sly rewrote most of it, Cameron still has the credit because writing credits work in mysterious ways with the guilds and unions.

Aliens was Cameron Vietman movie.

• Like 2

I think Cameron consider the Rambo II script not his. Apparently, Sly rewrote most of it, Cameron still has the credit because writing credits work in mysterious ways with the guilds and unions.

Aliens was Cameron Vietman movie.

Cameron worked on Aliens, Terminator and Rambo all at the same time.  Sly didn't rewrite most of it, he wrote the politics.  Cameron's action stuff is still there.  And he never said he doesn't consider it not his only that Stallone rewrote much of it.

98) The Sure Thing (1985)

Rob Reiner

And so started the Rob Reiner/John Cusack relationship. They only did two films together but they were two magical films.  The first one on this list is a story about having a sure thing, that is, a sure thing of getting laid.  John Cusack plays Walter Gibson and on March Break he is traveling cross country to see his best friend from high school, Lance, and Lance has promised him a sure thing.  But along the way, he falls in love with Allison, the woman he met in college but has shunned his advances since day one.  The Sure Thing has a smart ear and an accurate look at love and heartbreak.  Blessed with one of the best soundtracks of the 80's, a top notch cast that includes Anthony Edwards and Daphne Zuniga, The Sure Thing is a a sweet, tender, funny and sophisticated film.  It's pretty much the complete opposite of the film that appears at number 48 on this list.

maxresdefault.jpg

sure-thing_320.jpg

Interesting notes:

Rob Reiner said on the DVD commentary that a lot of extra things were ad libbed by Cusack, who he said was one of the most gifted actors he'd ever worked with.

Cusack was only 17 when he filmed the movie.

Nicolette Sheridan's film debut.

Edited by baumer
  • Like 3