baumer

Baumer's ridiculous, uninformed, stupid list of MY BEST 105 FILMS EVER , FULL LIST PG 42

The next five:

On the streets of Philadelphia

The only Spike Lee film to make the list

A conspiracy film

The Rolling Stones 

All star cast and a woman with A GREAT ASS!!

The next five:

On the streets of Philadelphia

The only Spike Lee film to make the list

A conspiracy film

The Rolling Stones 

All star cast and a woman with A GREAT ASS!!

Da Vinci Code or Angels & Demons? Please let it be the second. Soooo goood!

• Like 1

92) Rocky Balboa (2006)

Sylvester Stallone

rocky_0.jpg

I realize my love for Rocky is greater than most.  But there is something so perfect about this film.  Rocky 4 made Rocky larger than life, shoulder pressing a wagon ull of human beings, scaling Russian mountains and shouting out his opponents name from the peak, having abs on top of abs and so on.  Rocky Balboa brings it back down a notch, or three.  Stallone obviously understands Rocky, he created him.  This film is filled with emotion.  It's a movie that hits on all of the original themes.  Rocky might be older and has lost a step or two but he has heart and will, like no man before him and perhaps like no man after.  Rocky Balboa affected me, just like Rocky did.  It made me want to be a better man.  This might sound cringe worthy to many of you but Rocky has that affect on me.  Stallone wrote a tender, beautiful film filled with heart and love.  Love for his dead wife, love the sport of boxing, love for his friends and love for his son.  I love this movie.  And if nothing else, it gave us imo, the greatest motivational speech in film history.  

"Until you start believin in yourself you ain't gonna have a life."  I get emotional just typing those words.

Interesting stuff:

Pedro Lovell reprises his role as Spider Rico, 30 years after the original

Stallone trained for six months to get in fight shape.

Stallone gave into Antonio Tarver's demands for a higher salary and as a result, it cut into Stallone's own paycheck.

Edited by baumer
  • Like 12

I didn't really get Her. It was a well made film but I didn't see the point of it. I didn't care about Phoenixs character and the ending was way too rushed. I know people cried but I didn't feel any emotions at all, I was just a bit bored. I dunno why everyone loves it, I guess it just didn't connect with me.

• Like 1

91) Malcolm X (1992)

Spike Lee

Without a shadow of doubt, Spike's best film and one of a litany of terrific performances from Washington and the rightful winner of best picture and best actor from 1992.  There are two films on this countdown that Selma was trying to be.  And while Selma was good, it was far from one of the ten best of the year.  Malcolm X is flawless from start to finish. The film doesn't have to be 100% accurate, I know there were some liberties taken with the story.  That's not to say I am the biggest historian when it comes to civil rights leaders, I'm not.  But I did read his autobiography.  Whether or not the whole film is honest from start to finish isn't the real story.  The real story is the brilliance of this film in every aspect of it.  I'm not Spike's biggest fan but he absolutely nails this one and it deserved much better in awards season.  

malcolm-x.jpg?1333140086

Malcolm X is one of the most surreal and extensive biopics I have yet to see. Its script is extremely powerful, and refuses to become dry and uneventful. Lee's direction is pitch perfect, and the tone either feels coldly realistic or unsettling even in when it reaches its brightest instances. Just like the man himself, Lee's film has proved to go under the radar, not boasting a great deal on the surface. But when put into an intricate focus and dissected delicately, it is one of the best films that deals with racial tensions.  IMO, there is only one better and it is coming up later.

Trivia:  Louis Farrakhan threatened Lee and because of this, Lee took out the entire story line of Farrakhan's involvement.

Oliver Stone expressed interest in the project as a follow up to JFK.  His first choice to play the titular character was also Denzel.

Norman Jewison was set to direct at one point but outside influences demanded that a black director take over.

5546_5.jpg

• Like 11

Denzel's got no equal when it comes to acting.  There are others that are good, very very good.  But there's just something about Zel.

I wouldn't call him the best, but he's definitely one of the most entertaining to watch.

He, Pacino and Nic Cage should make a movie together, where they all get to let rip.

• Like 2

91) Malcolm X (1992)

Spike Lee

Without a shadow of doubt, Spike's best film and one of a litany of terrific performances from Washington and the rightful winner of best picture and best actor from 1992.  There are two films on this countdown that Selma was trying to be.  And while Selma was good, it was far from one of the ten best of the year.  Malcolm X is flawless from start to finish. The film doesn't have to be 100% accurate, I know there were some liberties taken with the story.  That's not to say I am the biggest historian when it comes to civil rights leaders, I'm not.  But I did read his autobiography.  Whether or not the whole film is honest from start to finish isn't the real story.  The real story is the brilliance of this film in every aspect of it.  I'm not Spike's biggest fan but he absolutely nails this one and it deserved much better in awards season.  

malcolm-x.jpg?1333140086

Malcolm X is one of the most surreal and extensive biopics I have yet to see. Its script is extremely powerful, and refuses to become dry and uneventful. Lee's direction is pitch perfect, and the tone either feels coldly realistic or unsettling even in when it reaches its brightest instances. Just like the man himself, Lee's film has proved to go under the radar, not boasting a great deal on the surface. But when put into an intricate focus and dissected delicately, it is one of the best films that deals with racial tensions.  IMO, there is only one better and it is coming up later.

Trivia:  Louis Farrakhan threatened Lee and because of this, Lee took out the entire story line of Farrakhan's involvement.

Oliver Stone expressed interest in the project as a follow up to JFK.  His first choice to play the titular character was also Denzel.

Norman Jewison was set to direct at one point but outside influences demanded that a black director take over.

5546_5.jpg

Malcom X! Awesome!

When you said a Spike Lee's movie, I thought it's gonna be Bamboozled or something :P

Denzel is da man!

• Like 1

92) Rocky Balboa (2006)

Sylvester Stallone

rocky_0.jpg

I realize my love for Rocky is greater than most.  But there is something so perfect about this film.  Rocky 4 made Rocky larger than life, shoulder pressing a wagon ull of human beings, scaling Russian mountains and shouting out his opponents name from the peak, having abs on top of abs and so on.  Rocky Balboa brings it back down a notch, or three.  Stallone obviously understands Rocky, he created him.  This film is filled with emotion.  It's a movie that hits on all of the original themes.  Rocky might be older and has lost a step or two but he has heart and will, like no man before him and perhaps like no man after.  Rocky Balboa affected me, just like Rocky did.  It made me want to be a better man.  This might sound cringe worthy to many of you but Rocky has that affect on me.  Stallone wrote a tender, beautiful film filled with heart and love.  Love for his dead wife, love the sport of boxing, love for his friends and love for his son.  I love this movie.  And if nothing else, it gave us imo, the greatest motivational speech in film history.  

"Until you start believin in yourself you ain't gonna have a life."  I get emotional just typing those words.

Interesting stuff:

Pedro Lovell reprises his role as Spider Rico, 30 years after the original

Stallone trained for six months to get in fight shape.

Stallone gave into Antonio Tarver's demands for a higher salary and as a result, it cut into Stallone's own paycheck.

Rocky Balboa was good, but it has nothing on the original 

• Like 1