baumer

Baumer's ridiculous, uninformed, stupid list of MY BEST 105 FILMS EVER , FULL LIST PG 42

Man, looking at his filmography, Spike's got a lot of quality stuff on there. Do the Right Thing is a stone cold masterpiece, Malcolm X is a flawed masterpiece, and if you take away the last 10 min, 25th Hour is one as well. Even the ones that people don't seem to dig too much, like Summer of Sam and He Got Game, I really like.

• Like 2

I didn't really get Her. It was a well made film but I didn't see the point of it. I didn't care about Phoenixs character and the ending was way too rushed. I know people cried but I didn't feel any emotions at all, I was just a bit bored. I dunno why everyone loves it, I guess it just didn't connect with me.

:mellow:

• Like 1

Because its Tom fucking Hardy. Seriously though, I think Inception is his most charismatic performance yet.

No way dude.  Have you seen Locke and The Drop last year where he is the lead?  Those are the 2 that got me on Hardy bandwagon.  Before those, I thought of him as just another one of those obscure overrated internet favorites.

• Like 3

No way dude.  Have you seen Locke and The Drop last year where he is the lead?  Those are the 2 that got me on Hardy bandwagon.  Before those, I thought of him as just another one of those obscure overrated internet favorites.

He was better in Locke. but I still thought he was fantastic in Inception.

• Like 2

Yeah but he wasn't charismatic in them, wasn't exactly charming like he was in inception. If we are talking best tom hardy performances then him as Bronson knocks them all out of the park imo.

• Like 3

90) Arlington Road (1999)

Mark Pellington

James Cameron and Steven Spielberg are my two favourite directors.  They are legendary for the films they have made.  Mark Pellington might be my third favourite director and the man has done a handful of films, but two of them are two of the best films I've ever seen.  Arlington Road shocked the hell out of me when I first saw it. I'm not going to tell you any details about the film because if there is anyone here who has not seen it, I implore you to do so.  It is wonderfully acted, beautifully directed and it was written by then unknown Ehren Krueger, who has gone on to have a very successful career.

0041030_149_MC_Tx360.jpg

I will just say this:  The script is intricate and it has layers upon layers to it and the ending blew me away.  Jeff Bridges, imo, has never been better, including his Oscar winning performance in Crazy Heart.  Tim Robbins and Joan Cusack are creepy, perhaps two of the creepiest film characters I've seen.  I'm going to leave it at this as I hope you find this film for yourself and give it a chance.  Conspiracy film?  Sure, it is.  And that is right up my wheel house.

arlington-road_420.jpg

• Like 4

89) Jumpin Jack Flash (1986)

Penny Marshall

There was a time in the 80's, with films like Burglar, Fatal Beauty and this one, that Whoopi Goldberg was the queen of comedy.  She was allowed to let it rip, cut loose and say and do things other female actresses couldn't or wouldn't.  Jumpin Jack Flash is one of the funnier films from the era and imo, it's a perfect comedy.  Besides Goldberg, you had a very young Jon Lovitz and Carol Kane complimenting her in the comedy department and James Belushi playing one of the bad guys.  It's the story of an employee at an international bank, before the internet, who gets caught up in an international espionage ring.  Whoopi plays Terri Doolittle and she has the foulest mouth for a prim and proper employee, and that's one of the things that makes it so fun.  She doesn't take crap from anyone and along the way she gets caught up in a tug of war between British and Russian spies.  Although this line will make no sense to you unless you have seen the film, the one line in the film that makes me laugh is when she meets a secret agent and says, "You're Van Meeder?  The one on the frying pan?"  

jjf.jpg

Whoopi was a brilliant comedienne in her younger days, and this is by far her best work, even better than her Oscar winning performance in Ghost.

Trivia:  Shelly Long was originally cast (thank God she didn't end up doing it)

Burt Reynolds was originally hired to direct but he had a falling out with producer Joel Silver and then Penny Marshall took over.

Penny's dad and legendary director, Garry Marshall has an uncredited appearance as the police detective

10347-2.jpg

• Like 4

88) The Fault in our Stars (2014)

Josh Boone

When I first heard about this film, I thought no one would see it because of the depressing subject matter.  Then I kept reading things from posters like Ethan who kept telling all of us that this is one of the most loved books of his generation.  So I finally gave it a chance and bought the book.  I read it quickly and was instantly overcome with emotion.

Screen-Shot-2014-03-21-at-12.46.22-PM.pn

Then I saw the movie and the first time I did, I gave it an 8.5/10.  Then I saw it a second time and gave it a 9.5/10.  I then bought it on BR and now I have it as a 10 and the best film of 2014.  The only reason this isn't ranked much higher is because it's so new.  If I do this list again in a couple of years, I have no doubt it will rank higher.  To paraphrase the book and film, I've saved my ten for this experience.  Cancer is a bitch.  It doesn't discriminate and this is a film about young adults with cancer.  Shaileen Woodley gives what I think is one of the best performances of all time for an actress.  Yes, she is that good.  In this film, she is a cynical and angry young woman who didn't choose to have cancer and she's pissed off about it.  Then she meets Augustus Waters, the impossibly good looking boy who lost part of his leg to cancer and he instantly falls in love with her.  Problem is she will not allow that love to be reciprocated because, as she puts it, "she's a time bomb and when she goes off, she'll obliterate everything in her path."  To which his response is, "To don't get to say if you get hurt in this world, but you do have a say in who hurts you."  

This an emotionally draining film but is also one that will make you smile, make you sad and make you elated that you got to spend a couple hours in the world of Hazel and Gus.  But there's no denying that you should bring some tissue.  Young or old, male or female, this isn't an easy film to sit through without shedding a few.

photo_1.jpg

Shaileen wrote a very passionate letter to the director insisting that she would do anything to be in the movie.  While he initially didn't see someone like her as the main character, she ultimately won him over with her audition.

On the special edition BR commentary, John Boone says that his favourite scene in the film is the love scene between Shaileen and Ansel, and it made him cry.

Shaileen insisted that Ansel read the book before auditioning for the role.

It also has some quotes that will live on indelibly forever.  "I fell in love with him like you fall asleep.  A little at first and then all at once.."  

"Pain demands to be felt."

tumblr_musmbr9rpE1sev7vbo1_250.png

Edited by baumer
  • Like 4