baumer

Baumer's ridiculous, uninformed, stupid list of MY BEST 105 FILMS EVER , FULL LIST PG 42

70) The Avengers (2012)

Joss Whedon

the-avengers-movie.jpg

If you are Marvel and you are ready to spend about 350 million dollars on a one of a kind film, who do you hire to helm it? That’s simple…the man who has one directing credit to his name and (ostensibly) has no idea how to handle a budget of that size. And yet The Avengers turned out to be one of the best films of 2012 and is spoken about in the pantheon of great superhero films like The Dark Knight and Spiderman 2. Whedon brought his own geeky sensibilities to the film. There are scenes in it that are right from his childlike mind, like playing Galaga in the floating fortress. So many tiny touches of brilliance were brought to the film because of him. A truly ballsy move by producers Kevin Feige and Alan Fine (among others).  Freddy Vs. Jason was the first film to really combine two separate properties to the delight of all the fans of both characters, but Avengers was a much bigger and more ambitious project and in this viewer's opinion, a close to flawless film.

2655156-avengers_movieversion.jpeg

Trivia:  Reputedly a scene was filmed where during the final battle Captain America saves an old man trying to protect his grandchildren. He tells him to 'Get them to cover' but as he walks away the old man asks him "Cap, is that really you?'. He turns and, noting the man's World War II veteran lapel pin, trades salutes with him. As Captain America sprints away the children ask their grandfather 'Do you know him?' and he replies 'We ALL know him'.

The final end credit scene was added after Robert Downey Jr.. encouraged a scene rewrite: after Tony Stark falls back to Earth, he originally awakens and asks, "What's next?". Robert Downey Jr. thought the line could be more interesting, and the idea of going to a local shawarma restaurant was born. The scene was added one day after the global premiere. Since then, shawarma sales in Los Angeles, St. Louis, and Boston have reportedly skyrocketed.

Impressive and surprising choice Baumer.

• Like 2

Avengers

Captain 2

Iron Man

All blew me away.

The other Avengers films....not so much.

Those are my three favorites as well.. but I also loved Guardians, and think that Thor and First Avenger, are perhaps the most underrated SH films ever.

• Like 2

Iron Man 3 was like a major studio box mix packaged and ready. consumable and forgettable.

I love Iron Man 3. I'm not a fan of Faverau's direction so Black coming in was a big step up. The middle portion with Tony and the kid is amazing and the twist is fucking awesome. Would be an A+ movie if the final action bit wasn't forgettable.

• Like 1

I love Iron Man 3. I'm not a fan of Faverau's direction so Black coming in was a big step up. The middle portion with Tony and the kid is amazing and the twist is fucking awesome. Would be an A+ movie if the final action bit wasn't forgettable.

that was my least favorite thing about IM3, I though the direction was awful. also I love Favreau's direction, it made IM2 a not good movie, a watchable one. 

• Like 1

I am still fascinated with what Kevin Feige accomplished with Marvel. There s a movie somewhere to be made about how a young Marvel nerd became one of the most powerful and influential ( for better or worse ) man in Hollywood since Lucas and Spielberg, having on his cell phone all the numbers of all Hollywood A list actors.

Edited by A Grey Future
  • Like 2

65) On Golden Pond (1981)

Mark Rydell

1317735824126_0_0_112112_02_1280x640_ove

On Golden Pond reminded me a little of my relationship with my grandfather. It's not that we didn't get along because we did, but at times it was a little strained simply because of the age difference. But Billy, like I did with my grandfather, soon learns that Norman Thayer Jr. is not just an old man, but he is a guy that has a lot say and he can offer him so much and of course they become friends. So we all know how the movie is going to end up, but it is the execution that is the strength of the film. We watch as these two grow together. We sense that they are becoming more at ease with each other and when we finally see our two guys catch that guarantuan fish named Walter, by this time we are pretty much sure what they are going to do. And it's kind of funny to draw parallels between Walter the fish, and Norman the crusty old man. But both have been around the pond for years. Norman's life wouldn't be the same if his quest for the fish was never there. Perhaps the same with Walter, perhaps he has enjoyed alluding Norman for all these years. But now the game is up, but it doesn't have to be. Norman caught him, perhaps that's all that should matter. You can draw your own conclusions from that analogy. But I like the way it comes out.

On Golden Pond is a treasure. It is sweet, tender and honest. You will never see a performance better than the one Henry Fonda gives in this one. And this made me want to go out and see some of the films that the two screen legends were in before and I have to admit that their early work is impressive. But it is here that they shine like never before (imo). So my recommendation is this. If you are young and would never imagine seeing a film like this because it is about two old people spending time at a cottage, give it a chance.  The story, the script and the humour will transcend generations. 

And for those of you that have seen it, remember this line? "Wife's name is Ethel Thayer, thounds like I'm lithsping dothsn't it? " What a great film.

on-golden-pond-6.png

Trivia:  

This is the only film in which Henry Fonda and Jane Fonda appear together.

James Stewart had wanted to star in the movie, but Jane Fonda bought the rights to the play before he could.
As of 2014 this is the only film in which the two lead actors playing a married couple won a best actor and actress Oscar.
Edited by baumer
  • Like 7

64) The Princess Bride (1987)

Rob Reiner

princess_bride.jpg

Every word in this movie is the right word. Not a single character is made to be stupid for the sake of being easily dealt with; even the most incidental villain is clever, requiring the heroes to be more clever. Casting is inspired, with Robin Wright Penn as princess-ly as any woman has ever been. Andre the Giant getting my award for best performance ever by a professional wrestler, and Mandy Patinkin so perfect in action, look and word. This film has strong life lessons seamlessly built in: Grace under pressure, honor in all dealings, skepticism without cynicism, and the real power of faith and love are among the many plot underpinnings making "Princess Bride" perhaps the best movie for the whole family to watch together.  

PB2.jpg

And of course, let's say it all together:

Inconceivable

My name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die.

Trivia:  In a 2012 interview in New York Magazine, Mandy Patinkin said that his most famous line from The Princess Bride (1987) ("Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.") gets quoted back to him by at least two or three strangers every day of his life. Patinkin told the interviewer that he loves hearing the line and he also loves the general fact that he got to be in the movie.

When asked what his favorite thing about making this film was, André the Giant replied, without skipping a beat, "Nobody looks at me." He felt treated as an equal, without people staring at him because of his grand height.

Mandy Patinkin claims that the only injury he sustained during the entire filming of this movie was a bruised rib due to stifling his laughter in his scenes with Billy Crystal. His attempt at holding back his laughter is obvious from his facial expression during his line, "This is noble sir."

Edited by baumer
  • Like 10