baumer

Baumer's ridiculous, uninformed, stupid list of MY BEST 105 FILMS EVER , FULL LIST PG 42

Armageddon felt like a masterpiece when I saw it as a kid. I recently went back and watched it.

Horrible.

For me that movie was Independence Day.  Loved it as a kid when I saw it in 97, but revisited it again a few years ago and was just bored.  Theres also stuff in it that is incredibly stupid that an 8 year old wouldn't notice or care about.

• Like 1

Wanna see a 43 year old man bawl his eyes out (ok, I know you don't)...then just put this scene on....gets me every time

• Like 2

57) Fast Times at Ridgemont High (1982)

Amy Heckerling

Written by Cameron Crowe.

Fast-Times-At-Ridgemont-High-3.png

Fast Times is the ultimate high school comedy that features everything from subtle 80's observations like kids sniffing freshly photocopied paper to more overt gestures like teens and young sex. The film was written by a young Cameron Crowe, who has gone on to be famous with films like Say Anything and Jerry Maguire. But back in the early 80's he returned to high school in cognito to observe teens and their rituals and the result was his book based on his studies. Some of the students were so angered at his film because they said that his characters were to much like the ones he knew and hung out with. And if that is true, can you imagine what it was like to know a guy like Jeff Spicolli? Here is one of the all time funniest characters that has now been imitated to the point of banality. Here is a guy that wants nothing more than to smoke some weed, drink some beer and squeak by in his World History class. Oh yea, and surfing is his passion.  Spicolli has been imitated but never to perfection.  Here, he is the perfect caricature of the 80's surfer dude. As one of his classmates says, " This guys been stoned since the third grade. "

If the Spicolli character is the comic genius of Fasttimes, the rest of the cast is the reality. There is a pallet of interesting characters played by young and energetic, soon to be famous stars that started their careers in this film. Jennifer Jason Leigh, Phoebe Cates, Judge Reinhold, Forrest Whitaker, Sean Penn and even lesser known faces like Anthony Edwards, Eric Stoltz and Nicolas Cage all started in this film. Look at where they are today, or at least where they went after Fast Times.  

Fast Times is the blueprint of any film that wants to capitalize on the teen market. There is well thought out comedy, painstaking relationships, the rah-rah bravado of high school sports, the essential prom night, sex, drugs, rock and roll and of course the excitement of working at the coolest place in the mall. 

I would say films like Mean Girls and The Duff, to name but two, owe a lot to Fast Times.  It's one of the best of all time, imo.

And finally, Phoebe Cates became a pin up girl for many a young lad after her swim suit scene (or lack of a swim suit) with Judge Reinhold.

fast-times-image-2.jpg

Trivia:

For his masturbation scene, Judge Reinhold brought a large dildo to work with, unbeknown to the rest of the cast. Phoebe Cates look of horror and disgust is very real.

During shooting of the film, Sean Penn got so into character that he only answered as Spicoli. In fact, the door on his dressing room was labeled "Spicoli" instead of "Sean Penn".
Stacy works at Perry's Pizza. Jennifer Jason Leigh actually worked at Perry's Pizza for a month after she got the role of Stacy Hamilton but before filming began

Universal didn't think the film would become a hit. In fact, the studio had thought about not releasing it on the East Coast so that the film would die quickly at the box office.

• Like 7

56) Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975)

Terry Gilliam

Monty Python takes a bit of getting used to, as their comedy company is somewhat of an acquired taste for most Americans who aren't accustomed to the dry British wit featured in these movies. However, they are absolute geniuses of comedy, as is demonstrated here in their first full-length feature film, "Monty Python and the Holy Grail." There are excellent and memorable lines, hilarious dialog, and intentionally cheesy acting, combined to give you the laugh of the Dark Ages.

monty-python-and-the-holy-grail-still2.j

King Arthur and his lowest-budgeted knights set off on their legendary quest for the Holy Grail. What they find, instead, is series of mishaps, antics, and outright hilariously idiotic stumbling-blocks.

I highly suggest seeing this on the Special Edition DVD (KILLER RABBIT-ON!). There are added features you will undoubtedly enjoy.

"I...fart in your general direction! Your mother was a hamster and your father...smelt...of...ELDERBERRIES ~! Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!" (John Cleese as the French Taunter.) 

HolyGrail017.jpg

Audacious in the dictionary has a picture of John Cleese and the Python crew next to it.

Trivia:

Michael Palin plays the most characters (12).

John Cleese's young daughter was on the set during the filming of the Black Knight scene, and after seeing the "fighting", remarked to Connie Booth, "Daddy doesn't like that man, does he?"

• Like 12

I can see it now

Updated: Kalo banned permanently for making a hateful comment about a beloved classic.

well if that's the case, then James, Ethan and Noctis should have been long gone by now.

• Like 1

55) Dances With Wolves (1990)

Kevin Costner

This is one of those rare Hollywood films that works in all departments. Even its nearly four-hour length is just right, any shorter and the required leisurely pace with emphasis on the Remington-like photography which makes one think of a moving painting would have been lost, any longer and the movie would have become boring. "Dances with Wolves" is one of the few occasions when the long time slot is required to tell the story the way it should be told. "Dances with Wolves" will stand up against any western John Ford made.

danceswithwolves1.jpg

Though not all that original, the story approaches its subject from a fresh angle. A somewhat mentally distraught cavalry lieutenant who was driven nearly insane by action during the Civil War is assigned a distant frontier outpost by a deranged commander who proceeds to p*ss his pants and shoot himself. The post has been recently deserted. So Lt. John Dunbar (Costner) lives as a hermit, befriended first by a lone wolf, then later by a tribe of Sioux. Living with the tribe is a white woman to whom Dunbar takes a liking. The tribe is anxiously awaiting the arrival of the buffalo for survival. The encroachment of the white man begins taking its toll with the buffalo slaughtered for tongues and hides, leaving the meat to rot. Dunbar must decide which way to go.

still-of-kevin-costner-and-graham-greene

Though long, the film moves with not a moment of respite from beginning to end. The viewer becomes part of the story and is carried along by the sweep of the lonesome, beautiful, and at times deadly, great plains, inhabited by native Americans who like all humans live lives of pleasure, pain, fleeting glory, desperation, and dreams, now threatened by outsiders who want the land and its creatures for themselves.

I was one of the few, it seemed who had no problem with this film or with Costner beating out Mart and his opus of 1990 at the Oscars.  It's a terrific film.  

The theatrical cut is a triumph of film making, the 4 hour cut makes it epic.

Trivia:

Kevin Costner's spreading out of his arms while doing his suicide run at the start of the film was a completely spontaneous gesture that took his stunt coordinator by surprise.

Because of budgetary overruns and general industry reluctance to invest in a Western,Kevin Costner was forced to dig deep into his own pockets to make up the film's $18 million budget. As it then went on to gross over $100 million, he himself earned an estimated $40 million from his original investment.

• Like 8