baumer

The Godfather

49 members have voted

1. 1. Review The Godfather

I used to be in Algren's camp.  I thought the Godfather's were over rated.  I saw them when I was in my teens, and never again since.  Well, yesterday, I watched both 1 and 2 and I was floored.  Did it take me maturing to finally understand the brilliance of the films?  Maybe.  All I know is that these two films will now make my top 50 films of all time.  The one thing I noticed about the first film was how big James Caan looked.  I looked him up on imdb and he is only 5'9.  But in the Godfather he looks like he is about 6'2.  He is menacing and he kind of frightened me.  He was just a volcanic eruption waiting to happen in every scene he was in.  Brando was awesome of course and even smaller players like Talia Shire were really good.  She didn't deserve to get beaten by her husband, but everything he said about her was true.  She was spoiled and expected everyone to do everything for her.  But getting back to her husband, what a FUCKING MORON.  I know he was working with one of the bad guys (Benzini I think it was) but to beat up the daughter of the biggest mobster in the US, are you insane?  He's lucky he died quickly.  If that was my sister I would have hurt him for hours before killing him.

I could go on and on about the films but I'll cut it short as there's nothing here you haven't heard before.  But a really enjoyable experience watching them both.

Also, I can't believe that was Bruno Kirby playing DeNiro's buddy who gets him the rug.  

9.5/10 Godfather

9.5/10 Godfather II

• Like 3

These remain in my Top 50 Worst Films Ever Made list. I should probably move The Godfather out since it does have some merit, but the second and third ones are staying forever. As a franchise, it's awful. On par with The Hunger Games (so far) and the Fast series. I suppose I wish I could see what's so great about them, so that I could appear as one of the cultured elite, but I'd be lying to myself to praise them based on other peoples' judgement of them.

A mournful and painfully slow score accompanies an anemic and subtle mafia story.

There's the review part. You guys will succeed in the discuss part, and I'll sit back and have the fun. ;)

I get how some think the Godfather is slow.  It is slow, no doubt.  But the pace is part of the movie imo.  It takes its time to tell the story and in many scenes, something is happening other that what you see on screen.

• Like 1

Took me 20 years to appreciate them.

I remember being 12-13 years old and my dad making us watch Godfather 1 and 2 back to back. He was tired of me watching Van Damme movies and such all the time, so he was going to show me what real cinema was all about. Anyway, I did not like them very much back then either.

• Like 1

I don't really know if you can call that a minority opinion. It seems like a 50/50 thing. I certainly like the second one better.

I thought it was a 50/50 thing but ive been getting a lot of shit for it from my friends. Im the only one who likes it better out of my main group. 

Im glad to see you are on my side though. 

I used to be in Algren's camp.  I thought the Godfather's were over rated.  I saw them when I was in my teens, and never again since.  Well, yesterday, I watched both 1 and 2 and I was floored.  Did it take me maturing to finally understand the brilliance of the films?  Maybe.  All I know is that these two films will now make my top 50 films of all time.  The one thing I noticed about the first film was how big James Caan looked.  I looked him up on imdb and he is only 5'9.  But in the Godfather he looks like he is about 6'2.  He is menacing and he kind of frightened me.  He was just a volcanic eruption waiting to happen in every scene he was in.  Brando was awesome of course and even smaller players like Talia Shire were really good.  She didn't deserve to get beaten by her husband, but everything he said about her was true.  She was spoiled and expected everyone to do everything for her.  But getting back to her husband, what a FUCKING MORON.  I know he was working with one of the bad guys (Benzini I think it was) but to beat up the daughter of the biggest mobster in the US, are you insane?  He's lucky he died quickly.  If that was my sister I would have hurt him for hours before killing him.

I could go on and on about the films but I'll cut it short as there's nothing here you haven't heard before.  But a really enjoyable experience watching them both.

Also, I can't believe that was Bruno Kirby playing DeNiro's buddy who gets him the rug.  

9.5/10 Godfather

9.5/10 Godfather II

Wow Baumer.. I grew up watching these movies because everybody in my family loves them. I grew to love them too. But I liked Part 2 more than 1 growing up. However as an adult I grew to appreciate part 1. I love how its a family saga more than anything. A family of mobsters and their world Brilliant for me is an understatement. I mean everything that families go through. I could go on and on about how much I love these movies.

Edited by ECSTASY
  • Like 1

I think 1 is easily the more accessible film and I do ever so slightly prefer it, but 2 has the layers that sort of peel off as time goes on that you grow more fondly of as time goes on. While I used to much rather rewatch the first part, 2 has grown so much on me that I could go either way.

Also, Vito's part of the story in Part II > everything else in the series

Godfather part 1 and 2 are slow but its like a fine tapestry .

You can't see it all of the greatness at once.

I watched both the films 5-6 times and I always catch something new.

One thing I notice when Micheal flash backed about his father's life, it was always in a bright colour or fuzzy hue. Gives an image of Goodness and that Vito was a great man. 

It contrasts with Micheal who is cold and ruthless which Vito was but Vito was respected while Micheal is feared. 

Vito is like the "noble thief" character from stories and plays. 

• Like 3

The big difference between Vito and Michael is that Michael sheds his humanity in order to maintain control. The big turning point for Michael is when Apollonia dies in the car bomb. It is a radical shift in personality for Michael from that point on in Films 1+2.

• Like 3