45 members have voted

1. 1. Grade It:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Just saw this earlier and I really liked it! Critics were wrong on this one! Might be my favorite of Blomkamp's films. The ending went off the rails a bit, but it was still an alright ending. The fight against the Robocop looking robot was great! Love the brutality of it and Hugh cackling like a crazy man as he was killing people was hilarious!

I would give it an....

A-(91)

• Like 3

Just saw this earlier and I really liked it! Critics were wrong on this one! Might be my favorite of Blomkamp's films. The ending went off the rails a bit, but it was still an alright ending. The fight against the Robocop looking robot was great! Love the brutality of it and Hugh cackling like a crazy man as he was killing people was hilarious!

I would give it an....

A-(91)

Glad you liked it!

• Like 1

Eh, wasn't crazy about this but I guess it works as a guilty pleasure. The action was well done and the visual effects were more or less good but everything else was poorly done from the characters. Still have no idea why Sigourney Weaver was in this, she had absolutely nothing to do and just scoots off. It's yet another movie from so-so effort from Blomkamp following District 9 which I thought was overrated, though I have yet to see Elysium.

***/*****, (C+, 6.1/10, 2.5/4)

Edited by The Movieman

I don't want to call ‎Neill Blomkamp one trick pony because this is only his 3rd feature film, but Elysium and Chappie definitely showed his very limited range, and that he's far from being up to the expectations of what District 9's success was supposed to lead him to.

Really enjoyable film that surprisingly was not all that bad. Save for a few things I thought could've made the film even better structurally and tonally, I think Blomkampp did the best he could. Definitely excited to see what he does with the Alien franchise.

B

• Like 1

I'm actually surprised by the amount of positivity everyone has for this film. The lowest grade I've seen so far is a C minus but that isn't the worst score you could possibly give a film. I've seen a lot Bs, some B pluses and A minuses, and one A. I'm seriously wowed given the critic reviews. I haven't seen the audience score on RT but I'm guessing much of the ratings are similar to the ones here.

Chappie sounds awful, looks ugly, and it is horribly dumb.

Blomkamp doesn't seem to have the slightest clue how to properly direct a scene anymore, the scene where Deon has his "consciousness" transferred to the robot body is a prime example of that. 

I couldn't stand any of the characters, I was rooting for everyone to be killed a la JW Nanny. At some point, more specifically when Chappie beat Jackman's ass, I felt sorry for those who I shouldn't be feeling sorry for. Yo-Landi death? I felt happiness. The film is that incompetent. Besides, who in their sane minds would cast Hugh Jackman, the most likeable guy ever, as a villain? they need their ass fired right away.

Now, one of the worst things about this horrible film was Deon, Dev Patel's character, who is IMO one of the most unlikable and despicable protagonist in a long long time. The film puts him in a moral high ground when couldn't be farther from it, he caused everything bad that happened in this, he took morally questionable actions, and he wasn't held accountable. Like, If his experiment was successful, he knew he would be creating a thinking life that had a 5-day expiration date, how sadist and selfish is that? why didn't the film delve into that question?

And, of course, we can't forget the film's moral and Deon's motto "Craft life... Don't let life craft you!", which is so flawed and poorly executed that makes me quite angry. I could justify everything with that line of thinking, including Vincent's doings, how is it any different from what Deon did? aside from the stereotyped, out of his character stuff. 

When I thought I got what I wanted, the death of the main characters, the director Marvel'ed it, the characters came back from the dead, not one, but two of them.

I knew Blomkamp wasn't the smartest fella after watching Elysium, but how the hell did he approved some of the film's dialogue is beyond me, IDK how could anyone say "Why you humans do this?! Why you all lie?!" with a straight face.

The PS4 scenes are "Walt Disney is one of the geniuses" Tomorrowland level of stupidity and facepalming.

15/100
Edited by Goffe
  • Like 1