Dementeleus

Tele's 100 Favorite Movies aka "Comfort Food" (complete)

81. Avatar (2009)

One-dimensional characters and all, this still ticks off a lot of my checkboxes: dedicated uncynical science-fiction, realistic future space travel and colonization, mechs, "dragons"... what's not to love? The characters are familiar and so is the plot, but that's the case with a lot of movies. Here what works is Cameron's complete dedication to his vision and world-building, combined with his strengths as a screenwriter: solid structure, blue-collar characters, knowing how to make the third act pay off on everything that came before it. One hell of a movie.

• Like 11

82. Armageddon (1998)

Corny as hell, but this was back when Bay didn't have total absolute control, and here he has a master veteran producer at his back and the best script doctoring money can buy. This movie is kinda infamous for having tons of writers involved, each focusing on refining a particular scene or moment or area. So even beyond the credited writers, there were a ton of talented people involved. The result is almost ruined by Bayhem in spots (the movie probably would be better if some of the asteroid shenanigans were tightened up), but it's immensely entertaining and has a lot of heart and emotion... aspects which I personally feel are lacking in Bay's more recent movies. Love it.

82. Armageddon (1998)

Corny as hell, but this was back when Bay didn't have total absolute control, and here he has a master veteran producer at his back and the best script doctoring money can buy. This movie is kinda infamous for having tons of writers involved, each focusing on refining a particular scene or moment or area. So even beyond the credited writers, there were a ton of talented people involved. The result is almost ruined by Bayhem in spots (the movie probably would be better if some of the asteroid shenanigans were tightened up), but it's immensely entertaining and has a lot of heart and emotion... aspects which I personally feel are lacking in Bay's more recent movies. Love it.

do you prefer Armageddon over The Rock? 

• Like 1

81. Avatar (2009)

One-dimensional characters and all, this still ticks off a lot of my checkboxes: dedicated uncynical science-fiction, realistic future space travel and colonization, mechs, "dragons"... what's not to love? The characters are familiar and so is the plot, but that's the case with a lot of movies. Here what works is Cameron's complete dedication to his vision and world-building, combined with his strengths as a screenwriter: solid structure, blue-collar characters, knowing how to make the third act pay off on everything that came before it. One hell of a movie.

Avatar is a visual masterpiece. it may not have the most in-depth characters. but I love it. 

• Like 2

"Objectively great movie" may be some kind of delusion.

What he means is from a critical standpoint, he doesn't think it's particularly good (compared to pure personal enjoyment). He's not saying that his opinion is factually correct.

• Like 3

What he means is from a critical standpoint, he doesn't think it's particularly good (compared to pure personal enjoyment). He's not saying that his opinion is factually correct.

I know what he means. I just doubt his some expression. "Pure personal enjoyment" is not something like suddenly pop-upped fluke. It's genuine response from filmmaker's all sorts of craftsmanship.

• Like 1

I know what he means. I just doubt his some expression. "Pure personal enjoyment" is not something like suddenly pop-upped fluke. It's genuine response from filmmaker's all sorts of craftsmanship.

Great point. This often gets lost in the discussion of objectively great films. There's a ton of craftsmanship to any kind of good/great film (hell even bad films tend to have certain things that work really well).

• Like 1

I figured those two would get some reaction. :lol:

I do slightly prefer ARMAGEDDON over THE ROCK. It has more heart and I love space SF.

INCEPTION might rise through the ranks in years to come. Part of being on this list means a movie's had the chance to percolate with me for awhile.

• Like 4

I figured those two would get some reaction. :lol:

I do slightly prefer ARMAGEDDON over THE ROCK. It has more heart and I love space SF.

INCEPTION might rise through the ranks in years to come. Part of being on this list means a movie's had the chance to percolate with me for awhile.

I like Armageddon and Avatar a fair amount to be honest.

But I prefer the Rock over those two. And Inception of course, though I admit the first 40 minutes of Inception can be a chore depending on my mood.

• Like 3