baumer

The Shawshank Redemption (1994)

Grade Shawshank Redemption  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Shawshank Redemption

this was a great movie....

until I read the book and found out Red was in prison because he murdered his wife and her friend in a premeditated murder, and Brooks killed his wife and daughter in a rage. All bit of sympathy for them went out the window. I mean damn. I just assumed they were in for petty crimes and somehow got harsh sentences or something like manslaughter. Not premeditated murder. Damn I don't recommend reading the book after watching the movie. 

even if they murdered someone in cold blood? What if they did that to someone in your family? 

People that spend 50 years in prison can be reformed.  I didn't say I'd forgive them.

• Like 1

People that spend 50 years in prison can be reformed.  I didn't say I'd forgive them.

if they truly changed I would. I mean obviously there is nothing worse than murder. but anger and hate can drive a person to do horrible things. usually it takes quite a hardening to be able to go through with something like that. but if someone was truly sorry and paid their time. they have a right to be given a second chance at life. of some kind at least. my brother-in-law was hit by a car from a drunk driver. not sure i can see I forgave him exactly, but I don't hold bitterness inside, it will not bring him back.

Edited by Kalo
  • Like 2

I thought the movie made it clear Shawkshank wasn't a prison for petty crimes. They were in there for big stuff.

actually wasn't the Tommy guy in there just for stealing? So looks like they just threw many criminals together

this is one improvement over the book. They don't mention their crimes so you can just assume that Andy's group of friends might have been treated harshly in sentencing or something. Imagine how different the Brooks scene would be if people knew he had been in prison for murdering his wife and daughters. Most of the audience would have been "good riddance to bad rubbish"