Cinderella (2015)

40 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Now this is how you adapt a classic fairy tale.

Seriously, this was such a feel good movie for me, as it doesn't try to be "edgy" or "hip." It just tries to tell the best Disney Cinderella story you could ever get.

Plus, my mom hasn't loved a film like this in a long time. :)

A rock solid A.

Edited by kaijukurt

The movie's biggest triumph is that Ella and Kit only meet twice before he declares his love for her and in no way does it feel forced or ungenuine. Can absolutely see why Branagh cast them as Romeo and Juliet for his upcoming stage production. Love at first sight is nearly impossible to pull off but I completely bought it.

• Like 8

Lovely little movie. The unapologetic idealism on display here is quite something.

I liked that too. No need to over-complicate the story or reinvent the wheel.

We had Frozen, we had Maleficent, we had Brave - I appreciate that Cinderella said FU to the whole girl power movement and went straight for pure, unadulterated fairy tale camp. Nowadays in the age of the thinkpiece, that's a brave thing to do - and I have seen some internet protesting over it, so bravo to Branagh and crew for not caving to the trend.

I guess I'm one of those few people who enjoyed both Maleficent and Cinderella, but Cinderella was still better. I feel that each of these Disney remakes improve upon the previous one. Both films are light years ahead of Alice In Wonderland. IMO

Thank you, not sure why everyone tries to cut Mal down to lift Cindy up - they're both their own entities and the less said about Alice the better.

We had Frozen, we had Maleficent, we had Brave - I appreciate that Cinderella said FU to the whole girl power movement and went straight for pure, unadulterated fairy tale camp. Nowadays in the age of the thinkpiece, that's a brave thing to do - and I have seen some internet protesting over it, so bravo to Branagh and crew for not caving to the trend.

So I take it you are on Team Snow White?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ekLcUyDWaU

Edited by Spidey Freak

the cast is what makes Cinderella work as well as it did, there are so many excellent performances. Ella and the Prince were more than what we usually get, just a pretty face with no charisma. Cate Blanchett was phenomenal as usual, I would risk to say that she was better than Jolie in Maleficent. And I couldn't forget HBC, who gives her best performance in ages, such a joy to watch her scene. Everyone else was at least decent.

great score as expected, but I can't shake this feeling that I've heard something very similar in Goblet of Fire.
it added more meat to the shallow story.
it's safe to say that a nomination for best costume design is locked.
And that dutch angle of Cinderella running is just orgasmic

the low point was when Stepmother and daughters ripped apart Cinderella dress, an iconic scene in the animated version that should have been done way better here. I also wanted a more humanized Stepmother, but I'm glad she wasn't the pure evil caricature that she always is in every reincarnation.

80/100

Oz is still better.
Edited by Goffe

I found it better the second time around. My gf aboslutely loved it. It is no Maleficent, but the soundtrack is great, Blanchett was awesome and some of the VFX was quite spectacular. Lily James and Madden also did quite a good job.

B