Olive

Weekend Estimates: Insurgent 54m | Cinderella $34.5m pg 29

But don't you think they already took that into consideration when they sold the rights?  And how much do you think the rights sold for?  Probably a pretty penny or else LG wouldn't have sold them.  So of course it matters how much it makes overseas.  

Whatever the film makes OS does not affect how much profit Lionsgate gets from the OS gross. So the OS gross won't have any effect on the bottom line of this film.

OS gross may matter for future negotiations, but I don't see how it matters for this film's bottom line. If this film is one of the 20 most profitable this year, then maybe deadline will break down how much LG received for the OS distribution rights. But, I don't see how the OS gross lets us know in any way how much those distribution rights were sold for.

Why did she go see Insurgent if she hated Divergent? :lol:

Uh because it's a YA adaptation duh :P

So what you guys think; should I see Insurgent or Cinderella on Sunday?

I actually really enjoyed Cinderella, and think you would like it. I can't comment on Insurgent, but I will know by tomorrow cause that's when I'm seeing it.

Whatever the film makes OS does not affect how much profit Lionsgate gets from the OS gross. So the OS gross won't have any effect on the bottom line of this film.

OS gross may matter for future negotiations, but I don't see how it matters for this film's bottom line. If this film is one of the 20 most profitable this year, then maybe deadline will break down how much LG received for the OS distribution rights. But, I don't see how the OS gross lets us know in any way how much those distribution rights were sold for.

That's not how it works though.  You are looking at it from one way.  You're not looking at the big picture.  Do you think LG just gave the rights away?  Do you not think they sold them for a good amount?  And if they did, then if this increases this time around, then they'll sell the right to distribute for even more next time?

• Like 1

At the end of the day, these films are made with a relatively low budget (around $100m) and will still remain one of Lionsgate's highest grossing films, even if Allegiant - Part 1 continues to dip off at the box office.

It's not much of a profit but the studio are still profiting off these films, and considering their current future slate of movies, they'll be glad to still have Divergent movies (and spin-offs).

I liked Potter, THG, didn't even mind a few of the Twilights. But this series is just so mediocre and such a lazy retread of THG. That's why I dislike it. Sequels were greenlit, the final book split, without even an audience reaction to justify it. At least Potter/THG/Twilight genuinely excited people. They built up fanbases, they earned their hype. This series is just coasting on the fumes of franchises that preceded it.

• Like 7

She fell to peer pressure? :sadno:

No I wouldn't say that. 1) she is the exact opposite type of person and 2) most people my age flock to YA adaptations no matter what they think of them.

I liked Potter, THG, didn't even mind a few of the Twilights. But this series is just so mediocre and such a lazy retread of THG. That's why I dislike it. Sequels were greenlit, the final book split, without even an audience reaction to justify it. At least Potter/THG/Twilight genuinely excited people. They built up fanbases, they earned their hype. This series is just coasting on the fumes of franchises that preceded it.

I like the story in Divergent. I thought it was quite interesting and a bit different from THG. I thought the film could have been executed better but there is a good story in there.

I root for bad movies to fail. You root for them to succeed. To each their own.

So Divergent was a bad movie?  Hmmm...news to me.

Preselling the foreign territories means that a huge chunk of the budget (and risk) is already covered. So just think of it as a 40-50m budget. Is a $40m opening so awful then?

Yes it's horrible cause girls like this series.