Asyulus

Is the Hobbit: Battle of Five Armies underrated?

Nope, but I really didn't care for the trilogy as a whole, though the extended version of the Desolation of Smaug was a minor improvement, so I am intrigued to see what the EC will be for Battle, though I suspect Bilbo will still be a side character.

I think this is the most necessary EE out the 6 films. I do not think it is a bad film, but I think it is veeeery rushed. Those 30-40 minutes added should make it a quite better film. As a Tolkien reader it is the worst of the trilogy.

I personally do think it is underrated. It's my favourite of the Hobbit trilogy, and while it has it's flaws, it was one of the coolest theatre experiences I have had in a long time. It's also in my top 5 movies of 2014, so I guess that means something to me.

60% on RT seems a tad low to me, but not so much so. After seeing it I thought it deserved 70-75 because while I gave it an A, there are some things that critics would... critique.

• Like 1

No... AUJ is massively underrated, DoS was kind of appropriate.

But BotFA deserved the critical backlash.

It showed (together with the hints on the awesome EE documentaries) that there used to be a great coherent script for the two movies and that they just never had a well enough structure for a trilogy. BotFA - after I hoped it would bring things together - failed to justify the three movie split in all ways imaginable.

• Like 1

It showed (together with the hints on the awesome EE documentaries) that there used to be a great coherent script for the two movies and that they just never had a well enough structure for a trilogy. BotFA - after I hoped it would bring things together - failed to justify the three movie split in all ways imaginable.

The only reason that it had 60 RT is because many critics complaining about CGI and the split into three, but AUJ, DOS, and LOTR movies was full of CGI. The main purpose of reviewing is to determine the entertaining of the film, the action sequences, visuals, story and dialogue, not the CGI, structure and movie split.

And i dont think AUJ is massively underrated, its just fair, plus its silly title , unmemorable characters & plain and boring story.

BOFA deserves about 80 RT, my most favorite hobbit movie, still not the worst out of the six and is easily the best of the hobbit trilogy, but AUJ deserves the "worst middle-earth movie" spot.

Best to worst:

1. Return of the king

2. Fellowship of the ring

3. The Two Towers

4. Battle of the Five Armies

5. Desolation of Smaug

6. An Unexpected Journey (a very distant last)

Edited by Tortillo

Read the reviews for BotFA again. 

There were much more points that were criticized than just CGI and the split into three.

And structure should have nothing to do with reviewing a movie? Are you serious?

Its just their opinions

In terms of metascore, AUJ got the lowest 58 metascore, DOS did 66 and 59 for BOFA. And people dont care RT, they prefer Metacritic more.

Edited by Tortillo

You are now talking about completely different things than in your previous post that sparked mine.

You claimed BotFA only got its mediocre reviews because of CGI and the split. But when you read the reviews you will find out that there were far more points that critics mentioned.

I agree AUJ is underrated but I also feel DOS is as well.