baumer

Furious 7 (2015)

81 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

I think people should think about CGI Paul for two seconds here.

Doing a photo real human has been the Hymalya of CGI artists for more than 25 years. Just after The Abyss, Cameron wrote a digital manifesto arguing that in the future you could resurrect Marylin Monroe ...

I don t pretend to have the best eyes but fuck me, I really had trouble seeing when Paul was CG or not. Some shots maybe you could feel it but it was really seemless for the most part.

We are talking bout a grounbreaking achievement here, something that has never been pulled off before. An Oscar would be nice too.

I d really want to see how they pulled it off but due to the tragic nature of these visual effects, I don t know how much the studio or the fx house who has done the job are willing to show us.

There is a before and after Furious 7 in the history of CGI.

My guess is Weta did it but who knows ?

The possibilities ...

The cost of finishing Fast & Furious 7, originally budgeted at $200 million, will be daunting, even though a person with ties to the project says the storyline has not changed drastically. "They are finishing the film more or less as scripted, replacing Paul with [computer-generated] face replacement," says this person. "They have two of Paul's brothers as well as an actor to 'play' Paul when needed." (The Walker brothers, 25-year-old Cody and 36-year-old Caleb, both are helping fill in for their brother physically -- Caleb primarily for body size and mannerisms and Cody for the eyes. But the filmmakers need to create a character that not only looks like Paul but also performs like him. That's the actor's job.) Peter Jackson's Weta is tackling the effects work using three cameras (in addition to the main-unit cameras) to capture Walker's stand-ins for face replacement. "There is a massive amount of gear," reports the source. "Everything they want with Paul gets done three times over. Three [actors] times seven cameras per shot is a clusterf--- of money being spent."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/fast-furious-7-insurance-claim-706037

• Like 2

Yeah, but all the moments before that were kinda cruddy. The Rock knows how to sell a fight. Jason Statham knows how to sell a fight. Get the hell out of the way and let them sell it.

This goes double for Tony Jaa.

Agreed 100%.  Vin vs Statham at the end was obviously needed because Vin is the Alpha and Statham is his target, but the fight between those two really took me out of the film at that one point.  Statham honestly looked like he wasn't trying in the scenes where Vin throws him and such.  They should of had Statham and Vin do something much different.  And even with Vin winning, he still should of gotten the shit kicked out of him.

• Like 2

Agreed 100%.  Vin vs Statham at the end was obviously needed because Vin is the Alpha and Statham is his target, but the fight between those two really took me out of the film at that one point.  Statham honestly looked like he wasn't trying in the scenes where Vin throws him and such.  They should of had Statham and Vin do something much different.  And even with Vin winning, he still should of gotten the shit kicked out of him.

Statham did knock Vin around a good bit.

In the Jay Hollywood camp, would give B-. The villains lacked focus, the action scenes occasionally too over the top to really gel for me, and the team dynamic is really weakened with lack of Han and reduced roles for Tyrese/Ludacris.

I think Wan cranked everything up to 12, including the number of ass shots.

I hope to see Deckard and Owen tearing shit up in 8.

• Like 2

Saw it again today and honestly this movie is a mess.  It's still a lot of fun and the ending of it will leave you gasping for air, but if you can get past Dom being invincible, Dom not bleeding, ever, until he gets a tiny bump on his head in the end, Dom getting no broken bones even after taking steel pipes to his rib cage, the  team basically being super heroes, an enemy invading US airspace with a drone and no military response, all the bad guys dying instantly but the good guys take the same abuse and they or their cars just keep going....if you can take all of this for what it is, and I guess I can, then this is a terrific movie.

• Like 6

Saw it again today and honestly this movie is a mess. It's still a lot of fun and the ending of it will leave you gasping for air, but if you can get past Dom being invincible, Dom not bleeding, ever, until he gets a tiny bump on his head in the end, Dom getting no broken bones even after taking steel pipes to his rib cage, the team basically being super heroes, an enemy invading US airspace with a drone and no military response, all the bad guys dying instantly but the good guys take the same abuse and they or their cars just keep going....if you can take all of this for what it is, and I guess I can, then this is a terrific movie.

This one's a Saturday morning cartoon to the umpteenth order... For better or ill. It's MacGruber, Last Action Hero and Bad Boys 2 dumped into a can of Nos.

• Like 1

This one's a Saturday morning cartoon to the umpteenth order... For better or ill. It's MacGruber, Last Action Hero and Bad Boys 2 dumped into a can of Nos.

It's basically the coyote strapping himself to a rocket.

• Like 1

Yes, it's a live-action cartoon. The last two have trended pretty strongly in that direction, this one just goes all the way, all the time.

I'd probably knock a half-to-full point off my grade if it wasn't for the ending.

My sentiment as well. Just wish the last wave of action in LA had fun, focus of the final action on the infinitely long runway in 6. Pretty clunky sequence that really only got me going when Vin and Stathsm first locked wrenches and the car to car handoff of Ramsey. Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 2

My sentiment as well. Just wish the last wave of action in LA had fun, focus of the final action on the infinitely long runway in 6. Pretty clunky sequence that really only got me going when Vin and Stathsm first locked wrenches and the car to car handoff of Ramsey.

Only The Rock's stuff really stood out for me there. The rest was sound and fury, signifying (mostly) nothing.

Rock vs Statham was terrific.  

Russell donning sunglasses and winking was awesome.

The mountain chase was beyond mind blowing.

The jumping out of three buildings was breath-taking.

The Dom and Leddy stuff was very good

The beginning in the hospital was very good.

The ending was the best part.

The rest was kind of meh.

Only The Rock's stuff really stood out for me there. The rest was sound and fury, signifying (mostly) nothing.

Ah! Forgot about The Rock. Yes... Definitely. Clever for Wan to have him watching footage of himself sacking a QB when he player for The U before joining the mayhem too. But, yeah, his moments seemed the more confidently executed than all of the rest of it.

• Like 2

Ah! Forgot about The Rock. Yes... Definitely. Clever for Wan to have him watching footage of himself sacking a QB when he player for The U before joining the mayhem too. But, yeah, his moments seemed the more confidently executed than all of the rest of it.

Ha! I missed that bit! Clever.

I feel that the next part really needs to kill someone off. I think, and this is pure speculation, if not for Paul Walker's real life death they may have killed off one of the gang just to up the stakes with Deckard Shaw. As it is, they needed to give Walker his farewell thereby reducing Shaw to an empty threat. Shaw has a GPS permanently set on "Dom" and "Teleport".

The stuff that Diesel and Rock survive in this movie just stretched believability, especially The Rock. Have the next villain kill off Michelle Rodriguez's character or Tyrese, make the villain an actual legitimate threat. For example, Shaw is in Abu Dhabi and once Diesel jumps the car, he does not even try to off Letty or Tej, just leaves instead.

None of the Marvel heroes die and no one complaints. I doubt TA2 will be changing that either. I'd love some stakes raising death as well, but not just for that reason. You can raise stakes other ways.

Edited by Jandrew
  • Like 2

The more stupid and implausible it got, the more I enjoyed it (minus the beautiful ending). That's what I watch these movies for- the same reasons I watch wrestling. It's all about being insane and cheesy and ridiculous. Vin Diesel got hit in the head with a wrench and got right back up- and I LOVED it. I love that these characters don't bleed, yet somehow there's still emotion and stakes behind them. It's like a snarky self-aware adult is pretending to be a little kid playing with action figures who is pretending to be a snarky self-aware adult! It's genius, man. That's the fun of it.

9/10

• Like 5