baumer

Furious 7 (2015)

81 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

One thing that really let me down in this movie was the villain played by Jason Statham. It looked like he was forcibly inserted into the movie just because they wanted Jason Statham in the movie. Every single action sequence is needlessly stretched thanks to Statham magically showing up at the end of the sequence. 

The plot lacked any real stakes in this movie unlike in the previous couple of movies where there was a defined plot destination. Here it just felt like the plot was created in a hurry because something needs to keep the action sequences going.

100% agree. The use of Statham was a letdown. Johnny Tran was more threatening.

• Like 2

The movie was entertaining as a whole, but it was just way too clunky and unfocused. The first half is where this is really apparent. The entire first act of the film was just the gang kind of "doing stuff" and I know that is a piss poor description and kind of vague but while the plot seemed to be slowly starting it just didn't seem like anyone was doing much of anything. When the movie was enacting it's usual high-octane action scenes and stunts was when it was at its best, and really felt like a Fast film. The mountain chase scene was great, and I enjoyed the entire Abu Dhabi sequence for the most part. It's a beautiful city and I'm glad to see such well done cinematography from it again. I disliked how Hobbs was sort of on the bench until the climax of the film this time, since Fast Five he's been a powerful source of fun for these films.

The climax seemed messy, the only well done parts of that we're the Dom/Deckard fight and Brian fighting that one guy in the building. Everything else with the Gods Eye or whatever was really sloppy. Glaring flaws aside, all the characters we love are here and as enjoyable as ever, and the film definitely works best when everyone is together, further driving home the Fast films consistent theme of family. It definitely isn't my favorite, that still belongs to Fast Five, but it's a solidly entertaining installment, and a very great ending to what became one of the most fun film series out there.

And I really loved that ending, which was essentially a huge tribute to Paul. I couldn't help but get a bit misty eyed. The circumstances of his far too premature passing were simply tragic/horrific, so I felt incredibly happy that the Fast crew, in a way, gave him a very peaceful, heartfelt send off here. And while I feel they probably should have spent more time giving Brian stronger feelings about "moving on" and such than they did in the film (considering at the beginning it was mentioned he felt the exact opposite), obviously I can look past that for obvious reasons because, damn, that was just effing beautiful.

Also- crowd loved it, it was nearly sold out, and there was applause at the end!

• Like 3

I think people should think about CGI Paul for two seconds here.

Doing a photo real human has been the Hymalya of CGI artists for more than 25 years. Just after The Abyss, Cameron wrote a digital manifesto arguing that in the future you could resurrect Marylin Monroe ...

I don t pretend to have the best eyes but fuck me, I really had trouble seeing when Paul was CG or not. Some shots maybe you could feel it but it was really seemless for the most part.

We are talking bout a grounbreaking achievement here, something that has never been pulled off before. An Oscar would be nice too.

I d really want to see how they pulled it off but due to the tragic nature of these visual effects, I don t know how much the studio or the fx house who has done the job are willing to show us.

There is a before and after Furious 7 in the history of CGI.

My guess is Weta did it but who knows ?

The possibilities ...

I could tell when he was CGI every time, but I was super impressed. Especially the last shot. 

They did a pretty good job at keeping his face covered. Like in the final fight against Jaa.

Yeah, for someone who watches too many movies it was easy to see the scenes they had to work around but no bother. They did a great job overall.

• Like 4

I just saw it and really enjoyed it! I thought Tyreese was the best in the movie! Loved the ending! Perfect way for Paul's character to go out on! Was in tears. :( The stunts were crazy entertaing! Also, loved the The Rock wasn't over used like in Fast & Furious 6. He was great in this!

I would give it an.......

A(94)

My rankings are:

7/5(They are tied for 1st)

• Like 2

I don't think we should care about what parts were CGI and which weren't and the body double thing and so on.  We all know what happened and they did a terrific job of fixing it.

• Like 9

I don't think we should care about what parts were CGI and which weren't and the body double thing and so on.  We all know what happened and they did a terrific job of fixing it.

Agreed. Frankly, any critique related to how they had to work around Paul's death ought to be off limits. They obviously loved him dearly and wanted to respect his legacy as much as they possibly could.

As for the film itself, it's got pretty much all the goods you could ask for; explosions, babes, The Rock and Vin Diesel being bad-asses, Tyrese and Luda's double act, and cheesily endearing family drama. It generally has much better pacing than 6 IMO though I did think they could've cut out a lot of fat between the Abu Dhabi sequence and the LA climax and while he does stage entertaining action sequences, I'm not sure James Wan's horror-influenced washed out cinematography suits this franchise as much as Lin's brighter, high-contrast visuals. It's a minor quibble and probably not something most fans will consider.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 3