CJohn

Weekend Estimates: TLR - 13.5M; Furious 7 - 60.5M; Home - 19M [F7 - 63M OD in China!]

FAST AND FURIOUS 7 MAKES $800M WW. DISCUSS!

Well, DH2 was at 832M through the same point (and without China) and the OS Fast numbers will very likely fall a bit with actuals (as many people in the foreign threads and especially the China thread have mentioned), so it's not THAT impossibly impressive. But yeah, it is a beast! :D

Edited by James

Well, DH2 was at 832M through the same point (and without China) and the OS Fast numbers will very likely fall a bit with actuals (as many people in the foreign threads and especially the China thread have mentioned), so it's not THAT impossibly impressive. But yeah, it is a beast! :D

2D movie with bad exchange rates, doing HP8 numbers. 

Not impressive at all. 

• Like 9

Creative edges will get dulled? That is like assuming DOM audiences are smarter than any others or that movies are specifically made for the DOM market and many movies today are clearly not meant for that. 

Probably more about taste than "smarter".  

My only real dog in that fight is that the DOM audience was trying very hard to send a clear message to Sony with the Spider-Man films ("Hey Sony!   Stop doing what you are doing!") and the international audience was propping Sony up.   That could have kept Sony in the Spidey business for decades....ugh.    

Thank god Marvel got in on it, but I can't help thinking Sony may have given up the rights altogether if the international market wasn't throwing money at them for bad Spidey films.

So that's about taste for me.   OS audiences somehow love what Sony does while I hate it.    In that case the domestic audience was "smarter" if you ask me.

• Like 1

Not impressive at all. 

This doesn't take anything away from its performance, but it isn't in 2D in Asia and Latin America. China got it in 3D and IMAX 3D (and looking at India, the 3D shows far outnumber 2D shows). 

Without the horrid exchange rate situation, if Furious 7 was released at the same time last year, it would be at almost 900M WW right now. That is amazing.

Edited by grim22
  • Like 1

F7 doesn't have 3D surcharges in every market, including the biggest, and the exchange rate is less flattering.

tumblr_lfwi8uLe2q1qc8icb.gif

Edited by PDC1987

No such thing about being smart. 

People forget, most countries have there own film market, there own stars, own comedians and so forth. Comedies and dramas, play to the region. Tentpoles are designed to be viewed for a larger WW audience. 

A joke about dancing with the star, or a movie about an american farmer don't translate as well to people who live completely different lives. Everyone wants to be a superhero, or save the world. It doesn't make anyone or any region dumb. 

• Like 2

Not impressive at all. 

It's not doing HP8 numbers, that's my point. The only reason it got even close is because they added almost 70M from China this weekend and opened in all OS territories , except for Japan. As for the 2D thing, most OS markets, China included, actually got it in 3D. 

And where did I say it is not impressive?!

F7 doesn't have 3D surcharges in every market, including the biggest, and the exchange rate is less flattering.

tumblr_lfwi8uLe2q1qc8icb.gif

? I am one of the biggest supporters of this movie. Why would I be mad? But BO accuracy is BO accuracy.

It's not doing HP8 numbers, that's my point. The only reason it got even close is because they added almost 70M from China this weekend and opened in all OS territories , except for Japan. As for the 2D thing, most OS markets, China included, actually got it in 3D. 

It's broken all time records in many markets.

• Like 1

? I am one of the biggest supporters of this movie. Why would I be mad? But BO accuracy is BO accuracy.

Did you factor all OS openings such as how many days into there run?

No such thing about being smart. 

People forget, most countries have there own film market, there own stars, own comedians and so forth. Comedies and dramas, play to the region. Tentpoles are designed to be viewed for a larger WW audience. 

A joke about dancing with the star, or a movie about an american farmer don't translate as well to people who live completely different lives. Everyone wants to be a superhero, or save the world. It doesn't make anyone or any region dumb. 

People also forget that most of the local movie industries cannot afford to do the state of the art VFX that Hollywood can offer. Hollywood rom-coms, horror movies and comedies don't travel that well because the jokes are localized to the US where as the local movie industries serve that niche very well. The one area that Hollywood excels in is the larger than life spectacle with ridiculous stunts, VFX and global scale. If it is a recognizable brand, so much better.

I also hate the double standards people place on foreign audiences, if China like Pacific Rim, they are so smart, but if they like Transformers - what is wrong with them?

• Like 3

Actually, Asia and Latin America got it in 3D. Europe only got the 2D version.

• Like 1

Did you factor all OS openings such as how many days into there run?

They both opened DOM and OS on the same weekend, so I am counting their grosses through their second weekend. Now I know for example that some OS markets start their weekend on Wednesday or Thursday, but that's impossible to follow. 

They both opened DOM and OS on the same weekend, so I am counting their grosses through their second weekend. Now I know for example that some OS markets start their weekend on Wednesday or Thursday, but that's impossible to follow. 

So you saw that DHII/F7 countries all matched up day and date?

So you saw that DHII/F7 countries all matched up day and date?

No. I meant they both opened both DOM and OS on the same weekend and in most of the world, with the mention that while FF7 added 68.5M this weekend from China to bring it's WW gross relatively close to DH2 through the same point, DH2 still hadn't hit China at that time. In exchange it got Japan, which FF7 still has to open in. They are both released in pretty much all OS territories while entering their second week so the comparison can be made.

it's true that f7 is getting a 3d boost os. the interesting thing about 3d and os is that ticket prices might be only 20% more or whatever but the movie makes like 50% more because os audiences go to 3d movies more

No. I meant they both opened both DOM and OS on the same weekend and in most of the world, with the mention that while FF7 added 68.5M this weekend from China to bring it's WW gross relatively close to DH2 through the same point, DH2 still hadn't hit China at that time. In exchange it got Japan, which FF7 still has to open in. They are both released in pretty much all OS territories while entering their second week so the comparison can be made.

Well, if F7 had 3D domestically and in Europe as DHII had it wouldn't have needed that huge opening in China to have just as high numbers as DHII. And that's despite opening in early April instead of summer and having unfavorable exchange rates. So these numbers are just as big and impressive as DHII's.

• Like 1