CJohn

Weekend Estimates: TLR - 13.5M; Furious 7 - 60.5M; Home - 19M [F7 - 63M OD in China!]

The Nicholas Sparks brand is D.O.A. at this point.

It never really was that strong to begin with. Only three (well, four, if you count the 5-day opening of The Last Song) Sparks movies have opened with more than $20M, and those either had popular names attached to them (Tatum, Seyfried, Cyrus, Efron) or had a Valentine's Day opening (Safe Haven). And in the case of Dear John, it had a very aggressive marketing campaign aimed at army/military organizations where the stars made public appearances. But yeah, the days where Sparks was viewed as a viable entity are drying up.

• Like 1

It never really was that strong to begin with. Only three (well, four, if you count the 5-day opening of The Last Song) Sparks movies have opened with more than $20M, and those either had popular names attached to them (Tatum, Seyfried, Cyrus, Efron) or had a Valentine's Day opening (Safe Haven). And in the case of Dear John, it had a very aggressive marketing campaign aimed at army/military organizations where the stars made public appearances. But yeah, the days where Sparks was viewed as a viable entity are drying up.

So all they need is put one or two protagonists people recognize and/or release them around VD. It seems to me that it can be revived. 

• Like 1

So all they need is put one or two protagonists people recognize and/or release them around VD. It seems to me that it can be revived. 

Yeah, but I think since Nicholas Sparks movies are all basically the same, that it may be a bit too late for that. Plus no named actor would want to do a Nicholas Sparks adaptation, unless their careers were in a really bad slump.

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

Sure, but I think most actors at this point steer clear of Nicholas Sparks movies unless they are total unknowns in need of a profile boost (like the leads in The Longest Ride) or really need the paycheck.

• Like 1

Sure, but I think most actors at this point steer clear of Nicholas Sparks movies unless they are total unknowns in need of a profile boost (like the leads in The Longest Ride) or really need the paycheck.

James Marsden and Michelle Monaghan surely needed one :lol: 

• Like 1

James Marsden has 4 movies coming out in 2015. He's getting paid. Now Michelle on the other hand ...

She is in Pixels which should be big. James Marsden is in a furious train of crap. 

• Like 1