Noctis

Should China be counted separately from the rest of the OS markets?

Should China's grosses be separated from Overseas' gross?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Should China's grosses be separated from Overseas' gross?

• Yes, China should be separate from Overseas Grosses, starting as soon as possible
    • Yes, China should be separate from Overseas Grosses, but after ___ amount of time
    • Yes, China should be separate from Overseas Grosses, but after a movie grosses ___ amount of money
    • No, China should not be separate from Overseas Grosses

It's definitely going to take a few years before China's consistency can put it separate from the OS grosses. Not all American films open there, and there are the occasional giant hit here and there, but the fact that American films aren't as prominent in China as the US probably constitutes it as part of Overseas. Look at Furious 7 though, by that indication, China could definitely be on it's way.

Edited by DAJK

This is the most stupid thread I've seen in a long time. If you're going to split up OS numbers then split every country up, as films perform differently in different countries.

Your message to me outside of the forums: "Dude, China isn't part of the U.S" really made me laugh.

Does anyone actually believe for a second that what is being discussed here has anything to do with China being part of the US?

THAT'S INSANE. 

I think it's just the title of this thread that is phrased in a way that causes some confusion. If I understand it correctly, the idea is not to pull the China number out of the total OS gross, but rather to devote a separate space for China since it's so massive.

Because right now you can read "Should China be counted separately from OS" like an equivalent to "Should US be counted separately from WW". In both cases, the country in question is part of the larger scale... it's just being discussed by itself because of how massive it is. That's the way I read it, anyway.

• Like 2

Close-minded response from someone who doesn't know much about the OS markets. 

You could be a moron with an IQ of 7 and know that China is an international market.

• Like 1

I think it's just the title of this thread that is phrased in a way that causes some confusion. If I understand it correctly, the idea is not to pull the China number out of the total OS gross, but rather to devote a separate space for China since it's so massive.

Because right now you can read "Should China be counted separately from OS" like an equivalent to "Should US be counted separately from WW". In both cases, the country in question is part of the larger scale... it's just being discussed by itself because of how massive it is. That's the way I read it, anyway.

This.

You could be a moron with an IQ of 7 and know that China is an international market.

Noctis is extreme, but the base of his post makes sense. Its close minded to automatically think that. In simple terms yes its overseas, this discussion is about the size of china and its gross.

Studios look at China differently i'm sure. Remember the Deadline post profitable blockbuster reports? They were separated by US, International, and China.  Example: 300m Dom, 250 OS and 175m China

If 5 years from now China accounts for 40% of all international sales(Not saying it will) wouldn't that be worthy of being calculated  separately? 

Edited by Jay Hollywood
  • Like 2

Well, I think it's a pretty silly topic.  It's a huge market that grew quicker than anyone thought.  I see no reason to take it out of the international equation.

Noctis is extreme, but the base of his post makes sense. Its close minded to automatically think that. In simple terms yes its overseas, this discussion is about the size of china and its gross.

Studios look at China differently i'm sure. Remember the Deadline post profitable blockbuster reports? They were separated but US, International, and China. 

If 5 years from now China accounts for 40% of all international sales(Not saying it will) wouldn't that be worthy of being calculated  separately? 

No.

Studios look at China differently i'm sure. Remember the Deadline post profitable blockbuster reports? They were separated by US, International, and China.  Example: 300m Dom, 250 OS and 175m China

Yes. This as well.

Finally some people explaining why I couldn't because of my limited english to make bigger and more complex posts.

Pacific Rim 2 is gonna make more in China than in America + rest of OS markets combined. China deserves to be counted separately, IMO. Fast 7 just did 330M there or something, so far.

We judge films based on DOM and OS, but now that China will soon have films that gross $500m due to its rapidly growing number of movie theaters and screens, should it be DOM + OS + China?

Compare films like DH2, Skyfall, and Transformers 3 + 4

China grosses:

DH2: $64m

Skyfall: $59m

TF3: $165m

TF4: $320m

Avengers: $88m

Without China:

DH2: $896m

Avengers: $807m

Skyfall: $744m

TF3: $606m

TF4: $525m

It's amazing how "small" TF4 is when taking China out of the equation. I mean, even if you take DH2's TWO BIGGEST markets (UK + Japan - which both did around $125m each), it would still be at $710m.

With the emergence of China, I think it's become necessary to make China its own category when factoring in worldwide grosses - not only because the numbers are growing massively by the day, but because it gives a better picture of what films did before China exploded. 

So this is a thread to masturbate to Potter.  Got it.

Carry on.

• Like 3