Dementeleus

AVENGERS Official Wknd Estimates: 191M - Disney

I said a few times that I wish to experience what you guys did during TA weekend back in '12 with AoU this time.

Yeah, I take that all back.

It was far more insane than this :lol: 

• Like 1

I said a few times that I wish to experience what you guys did during TA weekend back in '12 with AoU this time.

Why?

Totally different.

I think Furious 7 stole the "HOLY SHIT A BIG OPENER" thunder for AoU

When nothing comes even close for the next year or two.

We will be like "wow it was a big opener"

This is how this place works, I been around these kinds of sites for a while now lol! 

From the original early estimates. But those actuals are now being used to predict TA2.

As of right now, it's probably grossed somewhere in the 20s, and they're expecting a big push (like TA) to get other 40m through the till. (Numbers being pulled out of my ass, but along the lines of what Spizzer posted much earlier today).

When they're using TA as one of the trackers, posting the range of numbers they did means that it's essentially tracking along the same path as TA did... around the same level of matinee performance. So the numbers are expecting a huge jump in the evenings/west coast. For TA2 to overperform would mean an additional jump above and beyond what TA did. It's possible -- TA2 has more shows and theaters are more prepared for the demand -- but it isn't guaranteed by any stretch of the imagination.

Smart

I think Furious 7 stole the "HOLY SHIT A BIG OPENER" thunder for AoU

I think that's part of it. The other part is that very few had AOU opening to $200m. Now everybody either expects it or is rooting against it.  Totally different dynamics at play.

• Like 1

according to alexa rankings bom is the 6th biggest movie site on the internet...... it's completely baffling to me that instead of taking advantage of that and expanding with more articles and movie news, for some reason it's dropping the ball and not even reporting anything for the biggest weekend of the year

• Like 1

I think that's part of it. The other part is that very few had AOU opening to $200m. Now everybody either expects it or is rooting against it.  Totally different dynamics at play.

Basically. 

I'm bored already. 

If memory serves, Marvel/Disyney was low-balling the whole time 3 years ago and it was studios that was raising expectations with higher in-house estimates. I think Marvel/Disney ended up underestimating the weekend by over 7M (200.3M est -> 207.4M actual).

The fact that they're saying it outright now, possibly means Marvel/Disney have it pegged higher internally...

Keep in mind that studios put out weekend estimates on Sunday morning, and they can only guess how big that Sunday is going to be. In Avengers' case, it had a far better Sunday hold than anybody could have ever expected.

When nothing comes even close for the next year or two.

We will be like "wow it was a big opener"

This is how this place works, I been around these kinds of sites for a while now lol! 

That's a good point, but I have a feeling Star Wars' entire run is going to be a fun time here, regardless of if it overperforms or underperforms

Ha, well it wasn't going to be the same no matter what. TA1 was expected to be big, but no one expected 207. TA2 would have needed to shock everyone with a 275-300 number in order to get the same kind of excitement on the forum.

• Like 1

If today was December 16 with this exact level of hype, I'd say Star Wars makes 170M OW. No idea what to expect with the rest of Disney's campaign though

That's kind of ginormous for December, though.