Dementeleus

AVENGERS Official Wknd Estimates: 191M - Disney

• Community Manager

Explain, please.

Sure. In China, Furious 7 increased from $63 million to $182 million. That makes Furious 7's first two weekends in the us look like a joke.

Why can't Furious 7 increase in the United States?

Pfft. Shockingly bad.

(I think Furious 7 has done amazing in the United States but the post is intended to make a point.)

• Like 2

The Avengers has a good chance at breaking this record, doesn't it? I don't see SW7 or anything in the next year and a half opening above $200 million...

Probably won't happen till Episode VIII.

This could be a Shrek or Pirates-esque slide for Ultron from TA. Show me another franchise film that dropped 25% from its previous film, eh?

Star Wars: Domestic Total Adj. Gross: $1,159,000,200

The Empire Strikes Back: Domestic Total Adj. Gross: $640,361,400

Dat franchise fatigue.

• Like 5

I took a quick at sell outs and it looks a lot better than yesterday. There were one or two here and there during the day. But now I'm seeing theaters with multiple showtimes sold out.  I'm anxious to see how this all shakes out.

Nowadays, compared to everywhere else, most movies do shockingly bad then.

I had zero expectations for Mortdecai's box office performance and I don't think for a second that movie did fine.

I don't have any expectations for San Andreas box office but I can tell you after it comes out if it did fine or not.

And somewhere out there, there's a dude that probably thinks its remarkable that a film that looked as awful as Mortdecai managed to sell nearly a million tickets and gross 7.7M domestic and 30.4M WW.  Obviously it would be ridiculous, but it is possible.  

But we're straying from the point here.  I still don't see why it's unreasonable to be underwhelmed or disappointed while also acknowledging that 187M is an impressive gross.  Why does it have to be one or the other?

Star Wars: Domestic Total Adj. Gross: $1,159,000,200

The Empire Strikes Back: Domestic Total Adj. Gross: $640,361,400

Dat franchise fatigue.

ESB would definetely deserve a WWW thread if the internet was around in 1980. :lol: Did we know if there was a boxing event that weekend to suffer such a decrease?

• Like 3

Raiders of the Lost Ark: $627,181,700

Temple of Doom: 434,686,500

30.7% drop.

It would be more if I counted Raider's rereleases.

Edited by Orestes

ESB would definetely deserve a WWW thread if the internet was around in 1980. :lol: Did we know if there was a boxing event that weekend to suffer such a decrease?

ESB wouldn't have got one though, it outopened Star Wars on OW. 

I'd say release in theaters as Iron Man: Civil War, an then for home video do Captain America: Civil War: The Richard Donner Cut Part II.

Includes an extra Cap and Peggy scene, 12 seconds more of shots of Cap's shield, and an alternate opening with Cap grilling hot dogs at a 4th of July barbeque. Makes it meta.

• Like 3

• Community Manager

And somewhere out there, there's a dude that probably thinks its remarkable that a film that looked as awful as Mortdecai managed to sell nearly a million tickets and gross 7.7M domestic and 30.4M WW. Obviously it would be ridiculous, but it is possible.

But we're straying from the point here. I still don't see why it's unreasonable to be underwhelmed or disappointed while also acknowledging that 187M is an impressive gross. Why does it have to be one or the other?

Yeah well we'd tell that dude that a what went right thread wouldn't be applicable. ;)

People can be underwhelmed or disappointed. Doesn't warrant a what went wrong thread especially if they acknowledge how strong $187 million is. It certainly does not mean the movie isn't doing fine.

That's great. Just curious, what was the overall percentage drop from non-preview Friday ticket sales to Saturday ticket sales at your theater?

I have no idea right now, but I'll get all the numbers for the entire weekend tonight and do a breakdown.

Early reminder: This thread needs to be nominated for "Thread of the year" for the boffies. I don't think there will be a more roller-coaster ride of a thread this year.

The Episode VII thread might have a chance.

• Like 1