Dementeleus

AVENGERS Official Wknd Estimates: 191M - Disney

• Community Manager

Ultron was created with Loki's scepter, it is possible Thanos put something there before Loki attacked Earth to made the creation of Ultron possible. Also, at the end Thanos says "I will have to do it myself", implying he in some capacity created Ultron to destroy the Avengers.

he sent loki and Ronan the accuser to get stones for him. I think he was referring to their failures, not Ultron.

Edited by Water Bottle

Despite the fact that I have honored my loss, a little part of me died inside changing my username to this..  :ohmygod:  I will however, bounce back from this for INFINITY WAR, Even if it is 3 Years away...

It's ok. I am actually proud of the fact that you have been a good sport about this whole thing. Big virtual hug to you!!!

I'm writing this after finishing page 176, and I'm committed to reading each page until I catch up - COMMITTED I TELL YA!.  So forgive me if I repeat points that have been made over the past 30 pages.

I got swept up in the Star Wars craze of 1977.  My brother saw that movie 19 times, I saw a little less than that.    Add in the trading cards and the posters - real posters! - and the toys, and it was unlike anything anyone had experienced before.  Pop culture changed dramatically, all because of this one movie.  And the audience rewarded it by paying over 400 million dollars domestic during its initial run; something hard to achieve today that was absolutely unheard of and astonishing in 1977.  

Fast forward to 1980.  The Empire Strikes Back hits theaters.  All of my friends go to see it.  I go to see it.  And we're not as impressed with it as we were with Star Wars.  Oh, we thought it was a great movie, and were floored by Vader revealing himself as Luke's father, but something was missing.  And many of the movie reviewers agreed with us.  It was a good but flawed film that went on to make over 200 million dollars.  A disappointment even though at the time is was the third largest grossing movie domestic, preceded by ANH and Jaws.    Expectations were brought down to reality.

Fast forward to today and ESB is considered superior to the tremendous ANH.  And rightfully so!  

The opening for AoU is very, very good!  Oh, heck, I'll go further and say that it's excellent, whereas TA was astonishing.  The problem AoU has had since TA closed was the incredibly high expectations just about everyone had for it.  And when I say just about everyone I mean more than many BOTers.  I mean Disney, and industry watchers, those who play stocks based on a movie's performance, and those in the GA.  There was no way - no way- this movie was ever going to meet those expectations. And the disappointment that so many are feeling, both with the quality of the movie and its box office performance, can be laid squarely at the feet of their own expectations.

I predict that five years from now, conventional wisdom will consider AoU a fantastic movie and superior product to TA, even though its box office will never reflect that.  I also predict that with the plethora of lessons available to be learned by those involved with making the movie and those who watched its performance, AoU will be seen as a pivot point, because it provided a much needed adjustment for expectations and attitude.  

Edited by Ruthie
  • Like 5

Disney is having a good spell, just not as good as other studios, haven't finished on top for a decade, simple as. ;)

Disney is doing great and is obviously the #1 studio but they may not win the year. Universal is having a better year so far and they also have a more varied slate.

If he does. Rth sure took a big hit today and yesterday. He does us a huge favor and treated like that its just so sad.

Well the first mistake on Friday was on him. But the one yesterday was a stunner. Nobody predicted the west coast movie going would come to a screeching halt in the evening. He basically said it was non existent. I barely saw any sell outs yesterday even early so I figured it was gonna have some impact but I never figured it would be by that much. But on the other hand, the question is still can it recover what it lost? We will soon see.

• Like 1

Well the first mistake on Friday was on him. But the one yesterday was a stunner. Nobody predicted the west coast movie going would come to a screeching halt in the evening. He basically said it was non existent. I barely saw any sell outs yesterday even early so I figured it was gonna have some impact but I never figured it would be by that much. But on the other hand, the question is still can it recover what it lost? We will soon see.

Not bad # considering the halt.

I disagree with the argument for more RDJ presence. He's been great in every way for the franchise(s).

Disney is looking long term. Unlike Sony, they don't need to milk a character to death. Captain Marvel, Black Panther and Dr. Strange don't have to be huge. People can still buy IM cups and hats in 2021. It's not a disaster if the replacement films are down Dom, but making it up internationally.

Disney is doing great and is obviously the #1 studio but they may not win the year. Universal is having a better year so far and they also have a more varied slate.

They are OBVIOUSLY NOT the #1 studio. They haven't won a year for a while, they are doing great business with MCU and SW for sure, but there are studios more consistent then Disney, I'd say over the last decade there's a clear WB dominance.

• Like 1

so the fight had ~3 million buys which is like 20 million people tops-- you know what let's even say that it had up to 30 million people watching. and aou sold about 23 million tickets this weekend compared to ta's 25 million. so in the end the "fight of the century" with it's 20-30 million viewers still barely dented aou's weekend.

Edited by water

Ultron was created with Loki's scepter, it is possible Thanos put something there before Loki attacked Earth to made the creation of Ultron possible. Also, at the end Thanos says "I will have to do it myself", implying he in some capacity created Ultron to destroy the Avengers.

Does Thanos care about the Avengers? Isn't more about getting the stones? Thanos didn't create Ultron.

Edited by Neo

They are OBVIOUSLY NOT the #1 studio. They haven't won a year for a while, they are doing great business with MCU and SW for sure, but there are studios more consistent then Disney, I'd say over the last decade there's a clear WB dominance.

I think the combination of Marvel, Pixar, Star Wars and the good old Disney Animations makes them the #1 studio for now. WB won't be able to compete with Disney on a yearly basis. Universal may win the year in 2015 but they have a shit lineup in 2016. OTOH, Disney will be back with Marvel, SW, Pixar etc. and they will all make huge amounts of money. 

dong bro @ahoymitch 3m3 minutes ago

remember how I said we weren't that busy with the avengers? every showing today sold out

I just liked Noctis' post. Noctis is now the voice of optimism about TA: AOU. This is a very weird weekend indeed.

Sunday in the L.A. area looking much better than yesterday.  There is hope. Or maybe it won't decrease? LOL I don't know. Weird indeed.

• Like 2

Rth's projection yesterday afternoon was 63-67M (let's split the difference and say 65M), of course we have seen that Friday night business was lower than expected, so it could have come in lower, but let's go with 65. So the impact of the fight could have been 8M. Now if it had got 65M and fell 30% on Sunday, it would be 44M. Disney is expecting 45.5M on Sunday with a lower drop. It could possibly exceed that and hit 50M, definite possibility.

extract earlier post

quick look i did around 330-4p Pacific

67m would have been in play if AOU  played out like TA and a dozen other titles, 63 at them time was if it over indexed, and it certainly did. Just with TA matinees it was over but as evening went on it was under and the gap kept getting bigger as the night draw on.

With Gitesh I mentioned (yes I've known him since BOG been around) to him that it was potentially looking now  at around 30% diff, the last update he had heard a couple/few hours before was 20% maybe more (20% would have been 67)

Canada Sat was only down 14% from Friday 

EC markets  NYC ended with being down -31%, LA started -51 came back to -47,  overall EC markets ranged from -25 to -32, WC -40 to -50, 

San Antonio -38

• Like 14

i'm back AoU was fun, crowd really loving THOR then i had grand idea of going to watch some lame drama with james franco "everything will be fine" nearly fell asleep ,

a movie is a dud when you can notice that not even the editor can save the film and make something of the director choppy skills if i am asking myself where the heck this is going and what is the relevance of this or that character or scene ? then the editor must have been wondering then trying his best to fit whatever the director was trying to infuse in his movie!

• Like 1