Dementeleus

AVENGERS Official Wknd Estimates: 191M - Disney

Can I assume the record for Sunday underestimation belongs to Avengers 1?

If you mean the difference between the weekend estimate and the weekend actual, nope. It was low by 7.1 million, but The Passion of the Christ was low by 7.6 million.

Here are the underestimations I found while searching back when F7 opened (because it was marked low by 3.5m.)

The Passion        7.6

Avengers        7.1

Valentine’s Day        3.9

Shrek 2         3.7

PotC: DMC        3.6

Furious 7        3.5

Man of Steel        3.5

Fifty Shades of Gray    3.5

Spider-Man 3        3.1

The Dark Knight        3.1

I'm unsure if The Passion or Valentine's Day has the biggest percentage underestimation.

realised hadn't posted Sun, this is what rough worked out while ago

AOU 51, FF7 1.9,AOA 1.6, Pb 1.6,home 1.1

LA def had substantial increase after huge decrease on Sat, see if 51 improves or not and then what actuals come in at

That's about 600k more for F7, which should be enough to bump it up to #2 for the weekend.

• Like 1

That's about 600k more for F7, which should be enough to bump it up to #2 for the weekend.

I expect all holdovers to have very good holds next weekend, thanks to a severe lack of new competition. (I assume tracking doesn't have much to say about Hot Pursuit?)

Avengers is going to be the only film with a big drop next weekend. Heck, the Sat-Sat drop for F7 ought to be fantastic.

Jokes aside, top 3 openings of all time belong to Marvel.

That $4bil Disney paid for the characters is making a lot of sense.

Which film is going to put the MCU over the $10B mark, Civil War or Dr Strange?

Lol @ the title. Still though marvel has top 3 opening weekends on record now. Shouldn't be too hard to remember that.

I don't think Disney stock will take a hit tomorrow if they only do 193.

However to me... either set records or flop big time.

Almosts are not exciting.

Jokes aside, top 3 openings of all time belong to Marvel.

That $4bil Disney paid for the characters is making a lot of sense.

Iger takes a lot of heat in the Disney community but he hit home runs with both Marvel and Lucusfilms. 

He took a lot of heat for both. ( mainly Marvel)

Iger takes a lot of heat in the Disney community but he hit home runs with both Marvel and Lucusfilms. 

He took a lot of heat for both. ( mainly Marvel)

I don't think Iger has taken much as of late.  I think most of the resistance he hit was due to being Eisner's successor.  IMO he has done a great job with Disney, with the return of Disney animation to prominence as well.

I don't think Disney stock will take a hit tomorrow if they only do 193.

And of course, anybody investing money ought to be looking at the real number, which would be something around 630M WW.

The question is: is 630 below expectations?

I don't think Iger has taken much as of late.  I think most of the resistance he hit was due to being Eisner's successor.  IMO he has done a great job with Disney, with the return of Disney animation to prominence as well.

The online Disney community typically resolves around the theme parks 1st and movies a distant second.

The only investment they see in Disney World is 4 Billion spent on Next-Gen which they consider a failure.

So they see the billions spent on Marvel and SW and to a certain degree want them to fail.

A little different on the west coast where Disney has invested in the parks but they want a 3 park... either Marvel or SW... in the undeveloped area they've sat on for decades.

Disney fans are as bad as DC/Marvel fans.

Which film is going to put the MCU over the $10B mark, Civil War or Dr Strange?

I'd say CA3 

Current WW = 7786.8

final AoU-current AoU=800 (for a total of $1.4267B probably low) 8586.8

$550 M Antman $9136.8B post antman

if CA3  > $863.2M it will be CA3.

I think CA3 will get at least $1B because of Iron Mans involvement. 

And of course, anybody investing money ought to be looking at the real number, which would be something around 630M WW.

The question is: is 630 below expectations?

To be honest, most of the investment media sucks at covering box office information (at least when it comes to predictions)  The small time investors will see it as a win.  Whether the big money investors do is the question.  They are likely more focused on merch potential and the earnings report on Tuesday.

edit:  Though some sites have been mentioning high DOM predictions as of late.  It will probably end up slightly down if they invested based on those predictions.  Dis was up $1.80/share Friday so it may dip a bit.  The big factor will be Tuesday's earnings report.

Edited by 23IsEverywhere

Andy becomes a mod (congrats, btw), and the first thing he does is create a pot stirring title, in Tele's thread, no less. I like it. #powertrip

Thank you.

And it wasn't meant to be pot stirring.  I think it is the general feeling.

The number is fantastic but not very satisfying.

It didn't even hit any 'even number' milestones much less records.

I think the only people happy today is Disney and Noctis

Did anyone post this yet?

5ce668328bacc8d7c507c47ba08f8e55d6cde11d

Even with the obvious affect of the sports on Saturday, this is the most baffling, disappointing weekend in my 23 years of following box office.

:rofl:  :rofl:

There's nothing confusing or disappointing about these numbers.

Can you imagine the collapse and mass panic that would have ensued when Empire Strikes Back came out if the internet was around back then?

Edited by baumer
  • Like 6

:rofl:  :rofl:

There's nothing confusing or disappointing about these numbers.

Can you imagine the collapse and mass panic that would have ensued when Empire Strikes Back came out if the internet was around back then?

Godfather Part II would've been a nightmare

• Like 1