Dementeleus

AVENGERS Official Wknd Estimates: 191M - Disney

What the Inside Out thread turned into utterly shocked me; it's arguably more insane than most Marvel threads

There are only a few crazy people in the Inside Out thread. Oh, and yes, I am one of them. :P

1st version.

1: Avengers: Age of Ultron - 188m
2: The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Part 2 - 166m
3: Star Wars: Episode VII - 120m
4: Fast & Furious 7 - 110m
5: Bond 24 - 90m
6: Jurassic World - 79m
7: Minions - 75m
8: The Divergent Series: Insurgent - 70m
9: Mission Impossible 5 - 67m
10: Fifty Shades of Grey - 65m

:(

• Like 1

Can someone please update the thread title and announce that DH2 topped AoU in ticket sales, too?

YAS.

hey i said the wizard would fight for the record. and yur a winner this yr for holding on to that hp magic. only sws and bat vs supes pose a challenge right now

So I've been going through this thread, and a few people are questioning whether or not the world of sports had an impact on the Box Office. They claim that if sports did have an impact on Saturday, then the Sunday drop of TA2 would be way better.

For starters, I'm pretty sure TA2 actually does have a good Sunday hold. Moreover, I don't think people get the way that sports impact an ordinary person's weekend. Because I watched the Spurs/Clippers game last night, I have a lot of work to do today. And whatever free time I have will not be spent watching another 3-hour event. The same could be true for many people who watched the game, the fight, or both yesterday. Also, it's extremely important to remember that those who watched the fight paid $100 to watch it (I'm sure many split the bill, but it still probably came out to like $20-$30 to watch it). When you spend that type of money on entertainment, you don't want to spend $10-$15 on another piece of entertainment, especially if you can catch that entertainment next weekend or when it eventually comes out on DVD/Netflix.

Overall, I'd say that sports definitely had a massive impact this weekend, and anyone questioning it needs to reconsider his/her stance.

Another thing about the fight: a lot of people are probably feeling ripped off. It was a huge letdown. It is not like TA2 has out of this world WOM like TA1 did. I could understand people being very cautious to spend any money on another piece of entertainment that might just be a letdown along the lines of the fight.

I don't think TA2 has bad WOM, I think it has good WOM. But it needs incredible WOM to help convince someone who feels burned by the fight yesterday to run right out the next day and shell out God knows how much money in tickets and concessions for their family.

• Like 2

Another thing about the fight: a lot of people are probably feeling ripped off. It was a huge letdown. It is not like TA2 has out of this world WOM like TA1 did. I could understand people being very cautious to spend any money on another piece of entertainment that might just be a letdown along the lines of the fight.

I don't think TA2 has bad WOM, I think it has good WOM. But it needs incredible WOM to help convince someone who feels burned by the fight yesterday to run right out the next day and shell out God knows how much money in tickets and concessions for their family.

I think next weekend will be very interesting to watch.

• Like 1

But he isn't. This isn't The Dark Knight 4

No but this does have the same novelty The Avengers had.

The two most famous superheros teaming up onscreen for the first time. That will most definitely count for something, along with everyone wanting to see how Affleck does as the new Bats.

• Like 1

I will say, it's silly to not let people be disappointed. Yeah this is the 2nd biggest opening ever, but its still a shocking number after all the optimism that this forum was drowning in just 24 hours ago. Think of this way: when your team loses the Superbowl and people go "why are you disappointed? Your team made the Superbowl over 30 other teams!!"

Yeah...but you still lost the Superbowl. While some are being dramatic, it's okay to be underwhelmed by this. I'm not really, a Spiderman movie struggling to get to $200 still hurts me more, but I understand why some are about to cry, and I'm not gonna tell them not to just because its a big opening. Still have to look at this opening in both perspectives. It's 2nd biggest ever yeah, but its also like over $30 million lower than initially thought.

• Like 7

Marvel and disney will be a bit nervous about this opening weekend. I think it's obvious that Furious 7 kinda hurt Avengers 2 as it was a must see event movie and first out of the gate.

They will be a bit concerned next year..with BVS coming before Civil War and then in Fast 8 coming before Guardians 2 in 2017.

Calling it now that Guardians 2 will perform like Iron Man 2 domestically.

And?