grim22

Tuesday numbers: AOU 13.13M (slightly down)

Don't MOS-ed it any further, Tele. You've done enough :P

This still confuses me... Man of Steel did very well DOM at the box office. Maybe a bit disappointing WW. But, honestly, not really. I mean, it opened to either $116M or $128 depending on what the individual box office aficionado decides. And, it finished just shy of $300M DOM. This is a reboot of a franchise that wasn't helped much at all by Supes Returns less than a decade earlier.

• Like 2

This still confuses me... Man of Steel did very well DOM at the box office. Maybe a bit disappointing WW. But, honestly, not really. I mean, it opened to either $116M or $128 depending on what the individual box office aficionado decides. And, it finished just shy of $300M DOM. This is a reboot of a franchise that wasn't helped much at all by Supes Returns less than a decade earlier.

It's a joke referring to Tele's 400M jinxing prediction for it.

• Like 4

Well TA2 is doing great. (while I have to wonder how well E7 will do the audience went nuts during that trailer)

Noticing quite a few saying they will see TA2 this week or next right now.

It didn't do VERY well when it barely sold more tickets than Superman Returns ESP after that great OW. Why do you think they are adding a crappy Batman angle to the crappy sequel?

MOS performened poorly when comparing the OW to its total gross. The final number is solid, but the multiple reflected poor WOM. Had it performened better, we'd likely be getting a proper sequel without the addition of Batman.

MOS performened poorly when comparing the OW to its total gross. The final number is solid, but the multiple reflected poor WOM. Had it performened better, we'd likely be getting a proper sequel without the addition of Batman.

You know, I used to feel the same way but I really think WB wanted to pull the trigger faster than initially thought now. And, yeah, WOM wasn't ideal. But, it was hardly terrible either. I mean, it had similar legs to Iron Man Three and The Dark World even including the extra Wal-Mart $12M into the OW. Not to mention, even as someone who didn't like it much at all, the competition was brutal with World War Z breaking out and families having the Monsters U. option as well. Without such stiff competition, it likely grosses a much less alarming $305M to $325M DOM.

It should be fun next year around this time to watch both BatSupes and Civil War each gross $400M+ DOM. I wholly expect that at the moment. BatSupes is an intriguing pairing. And, not unlike Winter Soldier, Civil War is a popular Marvel narrative through line that the Markus/McFeely/Russos would almost have to work to screw up.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 2

You know, I used to feel the same way but I really think WB wanted to pull the trigger faster than initially thought now. And, yeah, WOM wasn't ideal. But, it was hardly terrible either. I mean, it had similar legs to Iron Man Three and The Dark World even including the extra Wal-Mart $12M into the OW. Not to mention, even as someone who didn't like it much at all, the competition was brutal with World War Z breaking out and families having the Monsters U. option as well.

Plus it has a better HV sales than all MCU movies except TA and GOTG.

It's a joke referring to Tele's 400M jinxing prediction for it.

I didn't recall how terribly overzealous he was with his prediction. Thanks!

I was lured by the whisper buzz that it was awesome. And besides, dang, after that OW a bunch of people were jumping on my bandwagon.

• Like 1

I was lured by the whisper buzz that it was awesome. And besides, dang, after that OW a bunch of people were jumping on my bandwagon.

So you ruined a bunch of others picks... that's a good thing

• Like 1

It didn't do VERY well when it barely sold more tickets than Superman Returns ESP after that great OW. Why do you think they are adding a crappy Batman angle to the crappy sequel?

Sans such brutal competition, it likely matches Iron Man 2's box office. No, it didn't do very well, I agree. But, not poorly at all. Especially given the inflated WM nonsense. It's true OW was likely around $122M or so. That gives it just under a 2.4 multiplier even with the rough competition. This is a reboot here. It did a hell of a lot better than Batman Begins. And, better still than post-Avengers sequels like The Dark World and The Winter Soldier.

• Like 1

You know, I used to feel the same way but I really think WB wanted to pull the trigger faster than initially thought now. And, yeah, WOM wasn't ideal. But, it was hardly terrible either. I mean, it had similar legs to Iron Man Three and The Dark World even including the extra Wal-Mart $12M into the OW. Not to mention, even as someone who didn't like it much at all, the competition was brutal with World War Z breaking out and families having the Monsters U. option as well. Without such stiff competition, it likely grosses a much less alarming $305M to $325M DOM.

It should be fun next year around this time to watch both BatSupes and Civil War each gross $400M+ DOM. I wholly expect that at the moment. BatSupes is an intriguing pairing. And, not unlike Winter Soldier, Civil War is a popular Marvel narrative through line that the Markus/McFeely/Russos would almost have to work to screw up.

True, although MOS was a franchise starter as opposed to IM3 or TDK and I think a direct sequel would have decreased domestically. Although WB is kind of in a rush to get their DC Universe off of the ground, I think MOS would have gotten a direct sequel had it performed better since that would benefit WB financially in the long run. Regardless, next April/May will be quite exciting!

IF that is true, it sounds like flawed thinking by WB to me.

What is logical reaction to "poor WOM"?    Try and make the next movie more appealing to the audience, right?   The OW proves Supes is one of the most popular characters in the genre.  (especially after SR)    If WB decided to just add another character instead of making a Supes movie more appealing, that's just lazy or stupid.

IF that is true, it sounds like flawed thinking by WB to me.

What is logical reaction to "poor WOM"?    Try and make the next movie more appealing to the audience, right?   The OW proves Supes is one of the most popular characters in the genre.  (especially after SR)    If WB decided to just add another character instead of making a Supes movie more appealing, that's just lazy or stupid.

I think it's three fold. It partly proved the popularity of Superman aided by Nolan's name being stamped on it to the point that casual moviegoers thought he directed it and, as always with Snyder, a compelling slew of trailers.