antovolk

Annihilation | Paramount | Feb 23 2018 | Alex Garland | Natalie Portman | Reviews Embargoed till day of release

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

Seriously though, it's becoming harder and harder to find an audience that is actually quiet. I haven't had a quiet audience since Thank You for Your Service over a month ago; Orient Express came close, but the seniors in the back got loud during the last five minutes. At Thor and Lady Bird, I had to tell groups of people to be quiet; it worked at Thor because they were actually young, but the old couple at Lady Bird simply acknowledged me and continued talking. Then there's stuff like Suburbicon, Justice League, and Three Billboards where I wanted to tell people to shut up but didn't for various reasons. This is just in the past month for crying out loud! It's almost always seniors doing the talking (not the case at Thor or JL but I went to an IMAX in Orlando for the former and a night showing for the latter) because the theaters in my area skew very old unless it's a gigantic blockbuster that opens over 50M.

Really? I know you're in Orlando and I'm not far. I have only had two bad theater experiences this year where people annoyed me during the movie - Kingsman and Happy Death Day. In both cases I had to move away from people.

Saw Justice League in IMAX and there was some excited fanboy whispering but overall it was pretty quiet. Theater was packed too.

The most annoying one was A Ghost Story but not due to audiences. I could clearly hear the film playing a few theaters over for most of it's runtime due to A Ghost Story being so quiet. I'm guessing it was Girls Trip.

Ladybird, mother!, It Comes At Night, etc....no one talked, no cell phones. All of the "what the fucks" and "that was garbage" for the last two came as the credits came up.

I usually go to openings Thursday night though and sometimes have the theater completely to myself. 

And we are getting The Disaster Artist this week (starting tonight). Surprised Orlando isn't?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Yeah, thinking back on it....I really didn't have many bad experiences in theaters this year.

I saw all of these in theaters with no glaring audience issues (talking/cell phones):
Kong: Skull Island
Ghost In The Shell
The Fate Of The Furious
Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2
Alien: Covenant (IMAX)
POTC: Dead Men Tell No Tales
Wonder Woman (only 2 other people in the screening)
It Comes At Night
Baby Driver

Spider-Man: Homecoming
War For The Planet Of The Apes
Dunkirk (Dolby)
Detroit (theater to myself)
A Ghost Story
Baby Driver (again)
Logan Lucky (theater to myself)
IT (Dolby)

mother!

Blade Runner 2049 (Dolby)

Thor: Ragnarok
Justice League (IMAX)
Coco
Lady Bird

And the few experiences where there was talking:
Annebelle: Creation (Dolby) - a ton of people talked during the build up scenes but I thought it added to the experience. It was a lot of fun.
IT (again) - a bunch of people talked during the build up scenes again or after a jump scare. Some of the commentary was actually really funny and honestly, I was kind of there to hear it. One person commenting that they spilled all of their popcorn was one of the best moments.
Kingmans: The Golden Circle - two girls I was next to decided they were going to narrate every scene that happened to each other. Didn't say anything and moved after the opening set piece. 
Happy Death Day - two girls decided to talk like Trees friend from the trailer and kept saying "Byeeeee" in that same annoying tone. They of course said it again and laughed when I moved a few rows down.

I dunno! Guess I was pretty fortunate or went at the right time (knock on wood).

In one of the theaters where I said there was no issue, I remember I did have to remove my hat to keep blocking out a cell phone but I don't remember which. It wasn't constant enough for me to remember it so I don't think it bothered me that much at the time. Usually I will get super annoyed with people texting.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, somebody85 said:

Really? I know you're in Orlando and I'm not far. I have only had two bad theater experiences this year where people annoyed me during the movie - Kingsman and Happy Death Day. In both cases I had to move away from people.

Saw Justice League in IMAX and there was some excited fanboy whispering but overall it was pretty quiet. Theater was packed too.

The most annoying one was A Ghost Story but not due to audiences. I could clearly hear the film playing a few theaters over for most of it's runtime due to A Ghost Story being so quiet. I'm guessing it was Girls Trip.

Ladybird, mother!, It Comes At Night, etc....no one talked, no cell phones. All of the "what the fucks" and "that was garbage" for the last two came as the credits came up.

I usually go to openings Thursday night though and sometimes have the theater completely to myself. 

And we are getting The Disaster Artist this week (starting tonight). Surprised Orlando isn't?

I'm not in Orlando proper; I'm an hour north. My county (Lake) skews old. There are about 8 or 9 theaters in the Orlando area playing Disaster Artist.

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 1

Just now, Lor San Tele said:

Thank God Rubin had enough clout to (hopefully) avoid the worst of the changes. Ellison's thoughts about what to do sound appalling and would've ruined the cut I saw. I'll take an Os Netflix release if it means creatively saving the movie. 

Tele I don't say this enough but I love you and you're my favorite mod

• Astonished 2
  • Sad 1

43 minutes ago, Lor San Tele said:

Thank God Rubin had enough clout to (hopefully) avoid the worst of the changes. Ellison's thoughts about what to do sound appalling and would've ruined the cut I saw. I'll take an Os Netflix release if it means creatively saving the movie. 

yeah, now having read that I'm more at peace at waiting three weeks to see it....cause Curzon (who have theatrical rights for Netflix originals in the UK, seeing Okja and War Machine was awesome) will almost definitely do screenings here. question is - waiting till the three week window is over and it's up on the site or day and date with the States/original UK Feb date.

• Like 1