antovolk

Annihilation | Paramount | Feb 23 2018 | Alex Garland | Natalie Portman | Reviews Embargoed till day of release

42 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I would sacrifice the big screen for watching in a distraction free environment. People in my area do not shut the fuck up in theaters.

Sorry to hear that :(. I also get annoying people sometimes, but talking during the movie practically never happens here.

Spoiler

Except for my showing for Arrival. This one idiot explained like every plot point to his wife. That was horrendous.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Sorry to hear that :(. I also get annoying people sometimes, but talking during the movie practically never happens here.

Hide contents

Except for my showing for Arrival. This one idiot explained like every plot point to his wife. That was horrendous.

I remember when I saw The Foreigner in October (a pretty decent audience there), this old guy in the row ahead of me get whispering what was happening on screen to his wife; she ignored him the entire time :hahaha: 

Seriously though, it's becoming harder and harder to find an audience that is actually quiet. I haven't had a quiet audience since Thank You for Your Service over a month ago; Orient Express came close, but the seniors in the back got loud during the last five minutes. At Thor and Lady Bird, I had to tell groups of people to be quiet; it worked at Thor because they were actually young, but the old couple at Lady Bird simply acknowledged me and continued talking. Then there's stuff like Suburbicon, Justice League, and Three Billboards where I wanted to tell people to shut up but didn't for various reasons. This is just in the past month for crying out loud! It's almost always seniors doing the talking (not the case at Thor or JL but I went to an IMAX in Orlando for the former and a night showing for the latter) because the theaters in my area skew very old unless it's a gigantic blockbuster that opens over 50M.

5 minutes ago, CJohn said:

I actually have no problems with senior citizens. It is always the teen groups who screw me.

yeah it's usually them, WoH is just saying older people to avoid the stereotypes of his generation :P

kidding, but yes it's usually the younger ones, but I have been at movies were senior citizens have caused issues too.  It's not really relegated to one group, but for me, yes it's normally teens/college age when it happens.

Edited by 75Live
  • Like 1

I go to a nice cinema.

If people start talking it’s always through films where their conversation is way more interesting than the film on the screen. Had 2 girls talking about their parents divorce during that boring Maze Runner film.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 75Live said:

yeah it's usually them, WoH is just saying older people to avoid the stereotypes of his generation :P

kidding, but yes it's usually the younger ones, but I have been at movies were senior citizens have caused issues too.  It's not really relegated to one group, but for me, yes it's normally teens/college age when it happens.

Like I said, the theaters in my area are significantly older skewing. The majority of teens and young adults don't hang out here. It's why we aren't getting The Disaster Artist this week :whosad: 

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

Like I said, the theaters in my area are significantly older skewing. The majority of teens and young adults don't hang out here. It's why we aren't getting The Disaster Artist this week :whosad: 

sounds like you need to find another theater to frequent 

Edited by 75Live
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, 75Live said:

sounds like you need to find another theater to frequent 

That all depends on what my parents say. Despite driving for about two and a half years, they're still scared to let me go on interstates and the turnpike by myself (even though I've driven on them with my dad in the car before). I said in the CCT the other day my mom might be lightening up on that, so maybe I can convince her to let me drive to Disney next week to see The Disaster Artist. She's against me going to theme parks by myself because she doesn't see the appeal, but if I tell her I also want to see a movie that our area won't get, she might change her tune. I doubt they'd let me go to Orlando for movies on a weekly basis, but it'd be a start.

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

That all depends on what my parents say. Despite driving for about two and a half years, they're still scared to let me go on interstates and the turnpike by myself (even though I've driven on them with my dad in the car before). I said in the CCT the other day my mom might be lightening up on that, so maybe I can convince her to let me drive to Disney next week to see The Disaster Artist. She's against me going to theme parks by myself because she doesn't see the appeal, but if I tell her I also want to see a movie that our area won't get, she might change her tune. I doubt they'd let me go to Orlando for movies on a weekly basis, but it'd be a start.

yeah just do it without letting them know and come back safe.  That'll show you can do it ;) 

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

I think what theaters should start doing is implement a silent alert system where moviegoers can just discreetly press a button to tell an usher to come in. In addition to deterring talkers with less risk of exacerbation it could also be used just to let them know the projector isn't working or someone threw up so they don't have to leave the theater to do it. Basically what the dine in theaters already do. 

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, tribefan695 said:

I think what theaters should start doing is implement a silent "alert" system where moviegoers can just discreetly press a button to tell an usher to come in. In addition to deterring talkers with less risk of exacerbation it could also be used just to let them know the projector isn't working or someone threw up so they don't have to leave the theater to do it.

totally agree.  Most people do like to confront other so yeah a more "anonymous" way would be good route to try

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

I think what theaters should start doing is implement a silent alert system where moviegoers can just discreetly press a button to tell an usher to come in. In addition to deterring talkers with less risk of exacerbation it could also be used just to let them know the projector isn't working or someone threw up so they don't have to leave the theater to do it. Basically what the dine in theaters already do. 

I'm pretty sure Regal tried this and it ended up being abused.

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I'm pretty sure Regal tried this and it ended up being abused.

Not sure what happened there but all they should need to do is one of those routine patrols with their orange glowstick thingies to spot or deter a problem.  

Edited by tribefan695

Just now, tribefan695 said:

Not sure what happened there but all they should need to do is one of those routine patrols with their orange glowstick thingies to spot or deter a problem.  

yeah they do that usually twice at some showings at my theater.  I guess that helps out some too