antovolk

Annihilation | Paramount | Feb 23 2018 | Alex Garland | Natalie Portman | Reviews Embargoed till day of release

5 minutes ago, Telehilation said:

https://www.theringer.com/movies/2018/2/23/17036466/alex-garland-annihilation-interview-ex-machina

This is a great, great deep dive into Alex Garland's process of filmmaking. I don't think there are many spoilers in there (though there are some hints about what the big third-act sequence is), so while it's well worth reading, hold off until you've seen the movie.

The writer-director of ‘Annihilation’ talks about his new movie, adapting the unadaptable, and how he doesn’t understand why studios give him money

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Porthos said:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: 

I’ll tell you what. Sunshine lost the bomb. Dredd lost the bomb. Never Let Me Go lost the bomb. Those three films were back-to-back. Ex Machina made some money, but it really looked like it was going to lose it, and it was a weird surprise for everyone involved. And now Annihilation. That’s not a brilliant track record. I’m not trying to talk myself out of a job.

You shouldn’t.

Well, yeah. No, but it’s just observably true, isn’t it? It’s mysterious to me. I don’t get it. I don’t get why I keep getting financed.

:lol: 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Astonished 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Telehilation said:

I literally just hit that in the article right now. :lol:

I think this is even better:

I think it’s because people like your films, honestly. I think they like the stories.

Do you know what I think it is? I think it’s because I trick them. I think it’s because I write genre and people see the genre and think, “Oh yeah, maybe this is mainstream.” And then I make it and they go, “Oh, Christ.”

===

Really is a great interview and highly recommended; thanks for sharing, Tele. RebWGyw.png

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Whoa. Put this alongside Under The Skin, Snowpiercer, Upstream Color, Girl with All the Gifts, Moon, Her, Arrival, District 9 and Midnight Special in my list of favorite sci-fi flicks of the last decade.

Weird, awesome mishmash of Sound Of Thunder by way of Upstream Color with some Cronenberg body-horror and some riffing on old school stuff Corman's X and Arnold's Shrinking Man. 

Ex Machina didn't make that list? Agreed on most of the others. As far as body horror, the last good one I saw was Starry Eyes. The Void had the right prosthetics but fell apart early on story and acting wise.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, The Futurist said:

Ex-Machina was an AI for the Dumb manual.

No it wasn't. It was a pretty realistic prediction. Look at how far AI has evolved since the release of that film both digitally and physically due to people being horny. Whether through sex bots or all the stuff that's going on through software (Deepfakes). Despite where it started, the technology could be used for a lot else.

The idea of using a populations searches to create an AI felt real too. A company could create something that was specifically tailored to your wants and needs just like advertisers already do based off your internet history. Example: Ads that show up elsewhere after you go to buy something on Amazon that are related or similar to the product purchased or searched for.

The tension was incredible and Ava was an amazing character.

Edited by somebody85
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Godzilla said:

How similar is this to Arrival?

Completely different. The entry in is more similar to Alien or The Thing....and then I'm not going to spoil it. Arrival had almost no action while this still has a fair bit and a lot of tension. The score is as loud as Arrival when it REALLY kicks in but a lot of the score is a lot different with more folky indie themes that make sense with the story to separate various areas.

1 hour ago, Telehilation said:

That's a testament to the fact that contrary to popular belief, some people in the industry really do value artistry over profit. Even if your movie bombs, passionate support for it goes a long way toward keeping your career alive.

• Like 2

"Why send 5 scientists without hazmat suits? I am sure Elon Musk wouldn't have had a problem lending out 5 amazing Mars suits! The monsters where not that scary! I wish they put in more monsters than just a few."

"One reviewer said it gives the audiance an awful lot to see, I thought everything I see was awful. Here is the movie in a nutshell, imaging an all female ghostbusters cast fighting the pink goo covered NY library in Ghostbusters 2 without any comedy. Yeah! Wait, what's the opposite of Yeah? That what is is...."

"The preview was much more interesting than the movie. I kept waiting for the movie to get interesting, but it never did."

Down to 70% now. lol I hope RLM reviews this and pulls A Ghost Story with audience reviews because there are going to be a lot like this over the weekend.

To the first, that was explained if you paid attention. And glad you wanted another shoot em up high paced Monster film. Because it was so great during the final act of Alien: Covenant.

This person will probably love Rampage.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

Ex Machina didn't make that list? Agreed on most of the others. As far as body horror, the last good one I saw was Starry Eyes. The Void had the right prosthetics but fell apart early on story and acting wise.

Not a huge fan of Ex Machina. I like it well enough and there are flourishes or pure awesome in it but I honestly prefer Sunshine, Dredd and 28 Days Later just among films Garland's written even if he didn't direct. Machina seemed like a good 45 minute episode of Black Mirror that last a lot longer than 45 minutes.

I prefer The Void to Starry Eyes probably by a lot. Just didn't think much of Starry Eyes. But, yeah, I'm sure I'm forgetting something, I haven't seen much interesting body horror of late. Maybe Autopsy of Jane Doe if that qualifies? That was pretty good. I Am Not A Serial Killer had some shades of it as well. But, neither is true body horror. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

I'm glad they didn't. Those final 20 minutes are an experience on a huge screen and good sound system.

Hear, hear. Very, very glad they didn't. And, fuck, glad Netflix wasn't doing this shit when I got see stuff like Under The Skin, Snowpiercer, etc. and other mid to low budget sci-fi on the big screen too. It's a scary trend for a guy that loves to see stuff rendered on the biggest screen around... Especially sci-fi with the haunting, vibrant and ethereal design of Annihilation. 

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 2
  • Sad 3

I can't remember the last time a film had my eyes glued to the screen the way this movie did at times - my eyes wide and my mouth agape, not wanting to miss a single frame. It is an ambitious film, with great cinematography and at times visually stunning. A great score too.

If you're into strange, cerebral, visceral, beautiful, at-times-frightening, thriller sci-fi films, then Annihilation is definitely worth a viewing.

I'm still processing...

Peace,
Mike

Edited by MikeQ
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, MikeQ said:

I can't remember the last time a film had my eyes glued to the screen the way this movie did at times - my eyes wide and my mouth agape, not wanting to miss a single frame. It is an ambitious film, with great cinematography and at times visually stunning. A great score too.

If you're into strange, cerebral, visceral, beautiful, at-times-frightening, thriller sci-fi films, then Annihilation is definitely worth a viewing.

I'm still processing...

Peace,
Mike

Tell me this...is it legitimately great cinematography or is it great in the same way people think Black Panther has great cinematography? Where they can't tell the difference between cinematography and visual effects/production design. I'm thinking it's the former based on the trailer, but...it pissed me off how many critics didn't seem to know the difference when it came to Black Panther which looks horrid compared to Coogler's last movie. 

• Like 1