kayumanggi

WEEKEND ESTIMATES | 05.08.15 - 05.10.15

No it wouldn't. It'd still be the second highest grossing Marvel film and the first was a box office phenomenon. Its a precedent for sequels to major phenomenons to have large drop offs no matter the quality. Just because it's not a phenomenon doesn't mean the gross is huge, we just all had too high expectations (I'll admit I fell into the incorrect thinking lightning could be caught twice)

Examples

Jurassic Park to Lost Word (Adjusts 700m to 229m)

Star Wars to Empire Strikes Back (adjusts 1.1b to 630m, but the number of the first is lower due to re-runs technically either way still huge drop in attendance)

Raiders of the Lost Ark to Indy 2 (adjusts 620m to 430m)

Phantom Menace to Attack of the Clones (689m to 422m)

Jaws to Jaws 2 (1b to 270m)

The Dark Knight to The Dark Knight Rises (603m to 467m)

Batman to Batman Returns (511m to 318m)

Pirates 2 to Pirates 3 (525m to 365m)

The Godfather to Godfather 2 (638m to 206m)

Shrek 2 to Shrek 3 (576m to 381m)

The same thing will likely happen to Avatar 2 and everyone will flip out crying flop when it "only" does 400 or 500m or so.

Really, nothing's gone wrong, Avengers 2 is behaving "normally".

Almost was a key word.

Of course some sequels dropped more but it s still a bit disappointing in the end.

I could never believe that F7 will beat Avengers: Age of Ultron. One to two years ago, people were predicting $2 billion ww, $580 mil dom, and a $220 mil opening weekend for TA2. Looks like F7 has a very high chance of defeating the box office juggernaut.

• Like 1

The same thing will likely happen to Avatar 2 and everyone will flip out crying flop when it "only" does 400 or 500m or so.

Also with Fast 8, although I think most people are already expecting that.

Interesting. Ray hasn't tweeted in a while as well. Some major behind the scenes changes seem to be happening at BOM.

whatever it is, it's really weird and it's weekend report is starting to reminisce of Brandon Gray's early reports from 1998/1999