kayumanggi

WEEKEND ESTIMATES | 05.08.15 - 05.10.15

I think the real moral of the story is "who really gives a fuck"

AOU is still going to be hugely profitable, rank still in one of the best all time domestic and WW grosses, which equals making a shit tin of money.

There are still numerous Marvel movies and franchises that have yet to be released.

Star Wars has yet to come.

So in essence, Disney is sitting back laughing at all the quarrels here because they are still winning.

Stupid post, was always going to be this way. Saying nothing insightful was my point earlier. All of this was ALWAYS expected, let's bring it up for the millionth time.

Or, you could also chose to compare Ultron the box office of all the Phase 2 films that followed Avengers. In that sense, it's not unlike the Furious franchise. Admittedly, no tragedy to aid awareness for Ultron and spike the gross like Furious 7. Also, admittedly, one broke out while the other, given expectations, somewhat disappointed. Both essentially received the same marks with critics with a 6.7 average on RT out of 10 and 66/67 on metacritic.

You cannot compare phases when TA outgrossed the other phase 1 movies so handily. Even so TA2 is holding worse than other phase 2 sequels in comparison to phase 1.

Stupid post, was always going to be this way. Saying nothing insightful was my point earlier. All of this was ALWAYS expected, let's bring it up for the millionth time.

AOU was always going to be profitable, and make a shit ton of money.

1,000,001th time now.

• Like 2

You cannot compare phases when TA outgrossed the other phase 1 movies so handily. Even so TA2 is holding worse than other phase 2 sequels in comparison to phase 1.

I don't entirely disagree. But, again, sans the unfortunate death of Paul Walker, as many have discussed here over and over, Furious 7 is unlikely to see the spike in sales or the staying power it had. And even with all the amazing goodwill and enormous OW and the same lack of competition, if dropped a slightly greater % from weekend one to weekend two. We've already addressed that Ultron is somewhat disappointing while Furious 7 broke out beyond expectations. But, perspective is good too.

• Like 1

I don't entirely disagree. But, again, sans the unfortunate death of Paul Walker, as many have discussed here over and over, Furious 7 is unlikely to see the spike in sales or the staying power it had. And even with all the amazing goodwill and enormous OW and the same lack of competition, if dropped a slightly greater % from weekend one to weekend two. We've already addressed that Ultron is somewhat disappointing while Furious 7 broke out beyond expectations. But, perspective is good too.

Well said, Johnny. Good points, can't disagree.

I always come down on the skeptical side of the 'death greatly inflating box office' argument. Particularly as there's absolutely no way of quantifying it.

I'm usually with you on that one, but Walker was the face of the franchise. He was in every single movie except the third. We saw him grow up and people obviously wanted to see him one last time. The ending montage also definitely increased the attachment to the movie. His death added around 50m to the gross just as Heath Ledgers death added 50m to TDK.

• Like 2