kayumanggi

WEEKEND ESTIMATES | 05.08.15 - 05.10.15

and that's the issue. TA2's drop off from TA1 will be near 180M. Nobody saw that coming. It's disappointment no question about it.

But...but...it still has the second biggest OW and second weekend of any film. cry2.gif

But...but...it still has the second biggest OW and second weekend of any film. cry2.gif

I still think it's pretty impressive. I mean, movies like Deathly Hallows Part 2 followed a record breaking OW with a 72% drop to $47M in weekend number two. Movies like Catching Fire dropped 53% with a second weekend aided by falling on Thanksgiving weekend to boost sales. Dark Knight Rises dropped 61% with an OW that was $30M+ less than Ultron's. Mind you, I think all of the 2nd weekends mentioned, save maybe Potter 7.2, are pretty damn impressive. A second weekend approaching or just short of $80M is pretty awesome. The enormity of it just isn't what we box office nuts hoped for...

• Like 3

People say that every weekend. :lol:

TA2 has already passed the test, albeit in unremarkable fashion.

Yup. And, even though Ultron isn't as gargantuan as many had hoped, the fact that Furious 7's likely to grosss $350M+ DOM and Ultron $450M+ DOM just makes this box office year that much better than last. And, oh yeah, both will pull in $1.5B+ WW.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

I still think it's pretty impressive. I mean, movies like Deathly Hallows Part 2 followed a record breaking OW with a 72% drop to $47M in weekend number two. Movies like Catching Fire dropped 53% with a second weekend aided by falling on Thanksgiving weekend to boost sales. Dark Knight Rises dropped 61% with an OW that was $30M+ less than Ultron's. Mind you, I think all of the 2nd weekends mentioned, save maybe Potter 7.2, are pretty damn impressive. A second weekend approaching or just short of $80M is pretty awesome. The enormity of it just isn't what we box office nuts hoped for...

It's true. It's a good number, a normal drop. What people are describing as disappointing is the overall run and the would be final total. We can celebrate its OW and second weekend number as much as we want but at the end of the day, the possibility of this finishing with 450 M isn't really exciting relative to expectations. The run has become boring to be honest.

Yup. And, even though Ultron isn't as gargantuan as many had hoped, the fact that Furious 7's likely to grosss $350M+ DOM and Ultron $450M+ DOM just makes this box office year that much better than last. And, oh yeah, both will pull in $1.5B+ WW.

This year will definitely be better than the last.

• Like 1

You're making so much sense here. :arms:

You guys definitely have a point, this could be shaping up to be a more "boring" big year than we thought going in. That is, we do have breakout surprises, but at least one of the films which were hyped to be the big juggernauts of the year will end up performing below expectations while still being a moneymaking success.

Basically, this could turn into something like 2007. That had surprise overperformers (Transformers, 300, I Am Legend, Alvin), but the preordained big blockbusters mostly came in under expectations and just did big business instead of HUGE business. (I can't think of a month which has yielded more overhyped-but-underwhelming franchise sequel blockbusters - in terms of BO, critical reception and WOM - than May 2007. At the time, even though I wasn't following BO, it seemed like the triple-threat of Spidey 3/Shrek 3/Pirates 3 would combine to make it the biggest month in history, and it just didn't happen...)

Am I off the mark on this? Anybody else see it?

Edited by TServo2049

You guys definitely have a point, this could be shaping up to be a more "boring" big year than we thought going in. That is, we do have breakout surprises, but at least one of the films which were hyped to be the big juggernauts of the year will end up performing below expectations while still being a moneymaking success.

Basically, this could turn into something like 2007. That had surprise overperformers (Transformers, 300, I Am Legend, Alvin), but the preordained big blockbusters mostly came in under expectations and just did big business instead of HUGE business. (I can't think of a month which has yielded more overhyped-but-underwhelming franchise sequel blockbusters - in terms of BO, critical reception and WOM - than May 2007. At the time, even though I wasn't following BO, it seemed like the triple-threat of Spidey 3/Shrek 3/Pirates 3 would combine to make it the biggest month in history, and it just didn't happen...)

Am I off the mark on this? Anybody else see it?

It didn't happen because of their mediocre quality and the three movies cannibalizing each other. 2015 will definitely be bigger. MOCKINGJAY II and STAR WARS: TFA assure you that. Plus F7 and A: AOU will make more money than the big three of May 2007.

Basically, this could turn into something like 2007. That had surprise overperformers (Transformers, 300, I Am Legend, Alvin), but the preordained big blockbusters mostly came in under expectations and just did big business instead of HUGE business. (I can't think of a month which has yielded more overhyped-but-underwhelming franchise sequel blockbusters - in terms of BO, critical reception and WOM - than May 2007.)

May 2007 seems an apt comparison in some ways mostly with Spidey 3/Shrek 3/Pirates 3 are all kind of like Ultron in ways. All did pretty well but not quite as well as expected due the break out success of Spidey 2 and especially Shrek 2 and Pirates 2.

The AOU fanboys using "it's still the second highest opening, weekend" blah blah blah. It was ALWAYS going to be that way, anything short of that would've been a major fail. People need to separate the macro from micro here. Disney was ALWAYS going to make a lot off this film, again who cares?

• Like 1

People saying the drop "could've been worse" are silly. It can always be worse LOL it wasn't good at all that's the main point, esp bad considering the decline Saturday last weekend.

I just want to verify that you thought Furious 7 had a bad drop as well in its second weekend.

The AOU fanboys using "it's still the second highest opening, weekend" blah blah blah. It was ALWAYS going to be that way, anything short of that would've been a major fail. People need to separate the macro from micro here. Disney was ALWAYS going to make a lot off this film, again who cares?

Obviously you care. You have been complaining about other peoples' reactions to this movie's BO performance for over a week now.

• Like 3

Great news from China. 30M/$4.8M at midnight for TA2. Easily higher than TF4 and about 57% of FF7 and remember FF7 was Sunday while TA2 was Tuesday.

What is expected for the first six days?

Why would I? Totally different series & the OW outperformed everyone's even biggest expectations. It did NOT have a bad drop.

I don't think so either. But, that said, it dropped the same/greater % from weekend one to weekend two from an OW that was $44M less than Ultron's OW.