Alpha

Weekend Thread | Weekend Estimates: PP2 - $70.3M, MM:FR - $45.5M, TA2 - $38.84M

Will 70M be enough for top 5 OW?

AOU

JW

Minions

AOU is a given, can't see JW or Minions missing 70M.
Then you got Ant-Man which is a wildcard and MI5 which should to 75M+

Then you have wildcards like IO and Ted 2.

Top 5 there is a chance, but not a lock.

Theory holds right that female audience is untapped and unlike younger male audience will pay to watch films in theaters.

To get more female appealing movies we also need more females in starring roles and female directed movies.

Will 70M be enough for top 5 OW?

AOU

JW

Minions

AOU is a given, can't see JW or Minions missing 70M.

Then you got Ant-Man which is a wildcard and MI5 which should to 75M+

Then you have wildcards like IO and Ted 2.

Top 5 there is a chance, but not a lock.

I think Ted 2 will make at least 70M and potentially as much as 95M.

To get more female appealing movies we also need more females in starring roles and female directed movies.

The first yes but the second is not necessarily true. Many female appealing movies have been directed by men. Most of the Twilight's and the Sex and the City movies for example.

It s weird how the R Rating has become a " bad thing" for blockbusters.

Terminator 2 was Rated R and sold 50m tickets some 24 odd years ago.

Depends on the content in that R rating. If it's violence, cursing and maybe one or two butt shots, nobody will think nothing of it as long as the movie is good. But, if the movie is nothing more than tits and ass, you run the risk of shutting out a potential audience with the female viewers (which make up 70% of the box office these days). Only way that can work is if the nudity is equal between the males and females (like in Fifty Shades of Grey or Magic Mike)

Seated for PP2, 50% full so far. The weirdest Schick ad just played with women singing songs about shaving their legs and how leg hair is prickly like a porcupine. Strange tie-in.

Edited by grim22

Seated for PP2, 50% full so far. The weirdest Schick ad just played with women singing songs about shaving their legs and how leg hair is prickly like a porcupine. Strange tie-in.

I had the weirdest Orange is the new Black ad last night that kept trying to shoe horn itself in to being relevant to pitch perfect. Weird.

I think Ted 2 will make at least 70M and potentially as much as 95M.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. The first movie only opened at 54 million and this movie has had much less buzz. Not to mention the concept isn't as fun a second time around. Especially with a pretty generic plot it has. Even Fandango poll had Pitch Perfect 2 ranked ahead on the summer movies anticipated summer comedy. So I'd still be surprised if it opens above 60 million.

Edited by gb0708