Guy Cohen

Is the female demo stronger than the male one?

They put out a few movies a year that target, specifically, the female demo and they make money, sure, but compare that to how many movies they put out that target the male demo/primarily male demo.    Part of what makes the female demo seem so overwhelming is that they just plain don't have that large a selection.  Dudes saw Furious 7, Age of Ultron, and then Mad Max- all making tons of money.  In the same time span, women had... Pitch Perfect 2.  Of course it's going to rake it in from that demo.

I really doubt the female demo is any more powerful than the male one, but there's really no way to tell until we get a year where an equal number of films that appeal equally to each demo come out- and that ain't ever gonna happen.

Edited by Brilliant Dynamite Neon
  • Like 1

I guess it's just that there's less "tentpole" flicks for women. I mean this year we have 50 Shades, Insurgent, Pitch Perfect 2, and MJ2. Last year was Divergent, TFIOS, and MJ1. Plus I think women seem more unified on their favorite movies while guys are likely to be split on it.

Market movies toward women? Make movies starring women? Strong female characters?

What are you guys, nuts?

I think there's a difference between that and what TekkenGuy's talking about.  Mad Max: Fury Road stars women and features strong female characters... but it's not a film aimed at the female demographic.  As this weekend shows (damn it. :()

Plus I think women seem more unified on their favorite movies while guys are likely to be split on it.

k everyone's being sarcastic in here so I'll just say I really, really hope this is sarcasm too

It's so weird when people speak of women like they're some strange other with specific tendencies and groupthink.

You guys realize that, like, half of all people are women right? And they like different things just like dudes do. Crazy, I know

Yes, big movies starring women and comedies that target specific groups of women do tend to break out, because those are rare. They should be less rare

• Like 3

You know which movie I think has potential to open bigger than expected if marketed properly towards female...Fantastic Four.

If the trailer is any indication, Sue Strom is a smart scientist on par with Reed. She has invisibility powers, can project force fields that can knock stuff out of the way AND fly.

If the marketing department at fox can hammer the message to the female demo that Invisible Woman is actually a confident lady, strongest and most powerful of the four, and not your typical damsel in distress female character then I won't be surprised if it opens 60+ million.

Unfortunately, the marketing execs at fox and the producers on this film are sleeping.

Edited by marveldcfox

Also, there is far less competition for the movie industry when it comes to entertaining female demos, as opposed to male demos who also have the video games, sports etc. catering more specifically to them.

Usually, "entertainment media events" for women tend to be only movies, due to the lack of choice.

Edited by Spidey Freak