grim22

Wednesday photo finish: Fury Road 3.9M, PP2 3.8M, AoU 2.3M (rth)

Stripe why so high for PP2?

I am taking into acount the 69M OW, and I am being a bit generous with my predictions.

Even with an inflated 3day weekend with a 50% drop, this would mean 35M. I think something even bigger is possible for the 3day.

We could see a 10M - 15M - 13M.

Add in around 9-10M for Monday

If I had to change a prediction I would raise MMFR to mid 30s

Why the fuck would FR do only $1m more than AoU? That makes no sense.

maybe AoU has higher percentage of younger viewers, so MMFR has 2m more per weekday, but only 1m more per weekend?

Meanwhile in China...

:ph34r:

Wow.  Any idea what happened?  Was the dubbing/subtitling really that bad?  It even had a giant (well, big) robot.  The Chinese movie-going audience seem to love those.

Idk if anyone else is getting this sensation, but Mad Max feels like it's playing at a "piquing curiosity of the masses" level that few films a year get to (Guardians, Gone Girl and Sniper are a few of these in the past year, though obviously two of those opened at a much higher level of awareness/interest). This means I think it'll play pretty strongly over the next few weeks, even with more WB guy-oriented films opening. There's nothing else like it playing so I feel like no film can fill its specific niche in the marketplace. 

• Like 2

Wow.  Any idea what happened?  Was the dubbing/subtitling really that bad?  It even had a giant (well, big) robot.  The Chinese movie-going audience seem to love those.

Well, 200m+ in China is still a huge number, but it obviously pales in comparison to F7 or TF4. But it's still gonna end up as the third or fourth-biggest movie ever there, which is a very good result IMO.

What numbers are you expecting?

With mines, top 5 grosses 181M over the 4day

Tomorrowland 50M

PP2 48M

MMFR 31M

AOU 28M

Poltergeist 24M

Close enough to 200

Really, who gives a a fuck about this at this point when the movie has crossed 1 Billion Dollars???? Does it really matter at this point in trying to kick the movie as though it's down??? Hell Ed, at this rate, it's going to beat TDKR, so embrace it..

WW? Of course. Dom? Uh...who knows?

Even I have to say that finishing under 450 is a little disappointing.  Still, it should have been expected....but the optics of it make it look disappointing.