kayumanggi

Weekend Estimates (4-day): TL 41.7 M | PP II 38.5 M | MM: FR 32.1 M | A:AOU 27.8 M | POLTERGEIST 26.5 M

Mad Max really was Critics and this forum-hype only.

What a forgetable MD-weekend.

The Rock will save us (and all of California) next week with a surprising 60M debut.

More realistically, Jurassic World, Inside Out and Minions will be the only remaining big debuts this summer. We need a surprise breakout from somewhere.

• Like 1

The Rock will save us (and all of California) next week with a surprising 60M debut.

More realistically, Jurassic World, Inside Out and Minions will be the only remaining big debuts this summer. We need a surprise breakout from somewhere.

I expect ROGUE NATION to do well.

• Like 2

San Andreas could do much better than some are expecting, given its domestic nature and strong marketing.

Other big openers - Mission Impossible (60+), Ted 2 (60+), Ant-Man (85+), Minions (90+), Jurassic World (100+), Fantastic Four (60+), Inside Out (70+).

So it's not all doom and gloom :)

• Like 1

Pete Docter has always been my favourite and he is still pure. feels good. especially with that early inside out reception.

By that nature Docter's next big movie is going to be called Small World

• Like 1

San Andreas could do much better than some are expecting, given its domestic nature and strong marketing.

Other big openers - Mission Impossible (60+), Ted 2 (60+), Ant-Man (85+), Minions (90+), Jurassic World (100+), Fantastic Four (60+), Inside Out (70+).

So it's not all doom and gloom :)

You're under shooting M:I and over shooting Ant-Man

The main lead is a young woman isn't it and they haven't hidden in that in the TV spots.  I think it will probably be more 50/50 and family skewing.

But people are going to think of it as a George Clooney movie rather than a Britt Robertson movie, aren't they?

You're under shooting M:I and over shooting Ant-Man

Those are minimums imo. Not quite "locks" but I am personally extremely confident that they will all reach those targets to varying extents.

My actual predicts atm are more like:

Mission: Impossible - 66M

Ted 2 - 75M

Ant-Man - 93M

Minions - 105M

JW - 135M

FF - 71M

Inside Out - 78M

Wait, what is that second part from? Was there a Halloween special or something?

Yeah that's from the Halloween special. Much better than the Christmas special as far as I'm concerned.

Those are minimums imo. Not quite "locks" but I am personally extremely confident that they will all reach those targets to varying extents.

My actual predicts atm are more like:

Mission: Impossible - 66M

Ted 2 - 75M

Ant-Man - 93M

Minions - 105M

JW - 135M

FF - 71M

Inside Out - 78M

M:I : 93M

Ted 2: 85M

Ant-Man: 45M

Minions: 80M

JW: 89M

FF:63M

Inside Out: 71M

Mad Max is compelling, and it's one of my favorites this year so far, but I wouldn't call it deep. The closest to "deep" I've seen in a blockbuster is The Dark Knight. 

...I'm happy I'm not you. I can typically find one or two blockbusters a year that are profoundly made. This year is just Mad Max so far, but I'd give it last year to Edge of Tomorrow and The LEGO Movie. Heck, even Iron Man 1 is profound, Marvel-movies wise. We live in a great time of film in either genre; the cynicism in Birdman legit pisses me off

...I'm happy I'm not you. I can typically find one or two blockbusters a year that are profoundly made. This year is just Mad Max so far, but I'd give it last year to Edge of Tomorrow and The LEGO Movie. Heck, even Iron Man 1 is profound, Marvel-movies wise. We live in a great time of film in either genre; the cynicism in Birdman legit pisses me off

The LEGO Movie is unquestionably a thoughtful, layered film, but as much as I enjoy Edge of Tomorrow, I didn't see it as much more of a well-made action flick.

The gf said she wanted to see Tomorrowland tonight and I told her I had no interest in seeing it

So we're seeing Tomorrowland tonight

Lock yourself in a bunker and prevent yourselves from going.

eyOQ7Yy.gif

• Like 2

The gf said she wanted to see Tomorrowland tonight and I told her I had no interest in seeing it

So we're seeing Tomorrowland tonight

legitimately laughed out loud at this post, bravo Chewy

• Like 3

I think you and I just define "deep" differently. All of these movies you've listed are absolutely layered, inventive, thoughtful films with something on their mind other than soulless action, particularly Lego Movie. But with the exception of the latter, they're not "deep." I reserve that term for another level of filmmaking. Think There Will Be Blood or No Country for Old Men.