baumer

The Choice | Nicholas Sparks adaptation | Feb 5 2016

31 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Does anyone remember that this actually comes out this weekend? Strange release date, would have expected a Sparks movie next weekend for Valentine's Day.

Dear John opened on Super Bowl weekend (to record numbers for a non-concert movie released on that weekend I might add).

17 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Dear John opened on Super Bowl weekend (to record numbers for a non-concert movie released on that weekend I might add).

But that looked appealing and actually had a marketing campaign :ph34r:

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

But that looked appealing and actually had a marketing campaign :ph34r:

Not disagreeing. But this is gonna flop no matter where it opens. It looks like something that should be on Hallmark and the stars of this don't even elicit that classic shady "I don't know her" Mariah gif.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Not disagreeing. But this is gonna flop no matter where it opens. It looks like something that should be on Hallmark and the stars of this don't even elicit that classic shady "I don't know her" Mariah gif.

Even the posters look like from a direct to DVD release. Lionsgate curse continues. It will never stop.

3 hours ago, Sam said:

I like Teresa Palmer, but since The Notebook, Sparks movies casting has been going downhill huh.

That's not really true. More like after Safe Haven, the casting has gone downhill.  

Message in a Bottle (1999) Kevin Costner, Robin Wright Penn : 52.8m

A Walk to Remember (2002) Mandy Moore, Shane West : 41.2m

The Notebook (2004) Rachel McAdams, Ryan Gosling : 81m

Nights in Rodanthe (2008) Diane Lane, Richard Gere : 41.8m

Dear John (2010) Channing Tatum, Amanda Seyfried : 80m

The Last Song (2010) Miley Cyrus, Liam Hemsworth : 62.9m

The Lucky One (2012) Zac Efron, Taylor Schilling : 60m

Safe Haven (2013) Josh Duhamel, Julianne Hough : 71m

The Best of Me (2014) James Marsden, Michelle Monaghan 26.7m

The Longest Ride (2015) Britt Robertson, Scott Eastwood : 37.4m

I don't think the casting in The Best of Me was gonna make a difference, since Sparks movies are all particularly the same, and most of them are garbage regardless. His movies were eventually gonna decrease in box office.

Edited by Daniel Dylan Davis

1 hour ago, babz06 said:

That's not really true. More like after Safe Haven, the casting has gone downhill.  

Message in a Bottle (1999) Kevin Costner, Robin Wright Penn : 52.8m

A Walk to Remember (2002) Mandy Moore, Shane West : 41.2m

The Notebook (2004) Rachel McAdams, Ryan Gosling : 81m

Nights in Rodanthe (2008) Diane Lane, Richard Gere : 41.8m

Dear John (2010) Channing Tatum, Amanda Seyfried : 80m

The Last Song (2010) Miley Cyrus, Liam Hemsworth : 62.9m

The Lucky One (2012) Zac Efron, Taylor Schilling : 60m

Safe Haven (2013) Josh Duhamel, Julianne Hough : 71m

The Best of Me (2014) James Marsden, Michelle Monaghan 26.7m

The Longest Ride (2015) Britt Robertson, Scott Eastwood : 37.4m

Didn't realize that Dear John made almost as much as 'The Notebook'. I don't think anyone remembers the movie for any reason other than it being the movie to dethrone Avatar from the #1 position over its OW.

Tatum and McAdams actually grossed more in "The Vow", another forgotten Sparks-lite movie. The Notebook is to be commended for somehow surviving in pop culture to this day.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Sam said:

I like Teresa Palmer, but since The Notebook, Sparks movies casting has been going downhill huh.

I like Teresa Palmer also, but what's laughable about this film's casting is Alexandra Daddario playing support to her.

Edited by Jay Beezy

I just checked Fandango for this weekends showtimes and seeing what movies were being added/dropped and I see this movie. My first response is "WTH Is This Movie?" Now since I haven't heard of this movie or seen any advertisement I just assumed this was one of those rare indie movies that somehow sneaked into my local theater. I went and googled the film and was surprised to see this was a Nicolas Sparks film with a over 2,000 theater release. I haven't seen one piece of advertisement for this film. This is gonna bomb.  

38 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Are there any more movies based on his novels in the works? With a likely dismal opening in store I imagine this will be the last one if there aren't.

Like The Something?

Or The Something of Something? Or The Something Something?

In all seriousness, here are the ones that have screenplay rights:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/At_First_Sight_(novel)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/True_Believer_(Sparks_novel)

The lead characters of both novels have the same friggin' names.

Edited by Jay Beezy

3 minutes ago, CJohn said:

The lack of marketing for this one is kinda crazy. They could pull 15M this weekend with the right marketing campaign. Lionsgate is a sinking ship.

The only sinking ship is the Sparks brand. Like, any of the three main actresses in this could've swapped roles at random and it wouldn't have made a difference. 

39 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The only sinking ship is the Sparks brand. Like, any of the three main actresses in this could've swapped roles at random and it wouldn't have made a difference. 

Sparks brand is a sinking ship as well, but so is Lionsgate. Their movies not named Hunger Games or Divergent always open with 10M :ph34r: