Crazy, Stupid, Love.

23 members have voted

1. 1. Rate Crazy, Stupid, Love.

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

This was a pleasant surprise in that the best jokes in this movie were not in the trailer. It's very funny a lot of the time and the narrative twists were pretty clever. However, I think Emma Stone's character could've been given a better arc and some scenes went on too long without seeming to have a point to them.

B+

This was a pleasant surprise in that the best jokes in this movie were not in the trailer. It's very funny a lot of the time and the narrative twists were pretty clever. However, I think Emma Stone's character could've been given a better arc and some scenes went on too long without seeming to have a point to them.

B+

Stone and Gosling were given that one scene of honesty and then she turned into a third act plot twist.

The hatred I have for this movie knows no bounds.Steve Carrell, the most likable character in the movie, gets left by his wife and rather than spend time focusing on becoming a good father, he goes out and screws as many women as he can get (with the help of Ryan Gosling, of course). One of these women is, of course, Marisa Tomei, who is given a role that is so bizarrely immature and inappropriate that I really don't know what else to say... Simply all of these characters seem to give more of a shit about who they're f-ing than the children. Then we have Emma Stone, who gives off this "I'm not just another dumb slut" persona, in spite of the fact that she goes to bed with Gosling's character pretty lickety-split. Not to mention, her first boyfriend was obviously a total tool and the only reason she broke up with him was because he wouldn't marry her? I guess the fact that he was a jerk didn't turn her off...Whatever. I guess some people find these characters "relatable" and "smart," but I found them completely superficial and cliched. If this is what passes for a good romantic comedy these days, then I think I can officially kiss the genre good-bye.

I enjoyed this movie but didn't think it was anything special. Carrell and Gosling were good, Stone was... well, Stone which isn't a bad thing, but she's beginning to become the female version of Seth Rogen (odd voice and basically playing the same type of character from film to film). What I didn't really care for or fully bought was the part of the film when it's revealed that

Stone was Carrell's daughter. Really? In the time she and Gosling (their characters, of course) were dating, he never saw a picture of her parents? Also, I assume she has the same last name, right? I know L.A. is a big city and all, but it never occurred to him that's dating a chick with the same last name as the dude he's been helping/befriending?

I don't know, I found the twist to be a bit much. This is not to mention the cliched big speech towards the end in what was otherwise an unconventional romantic comedy.

****This such a great romantic film though romance is hitting a stride this year. Even though I give this four stars it still ranks third for the year in love plots behind Submarine and Like Crazy. Gosling shines as usual and Emma Stone is such a joy. Even the teen storyline wasn't too cliche or annoying which is rare these days.

• Like 1

Eh. I've been excited to see this but honestly I was expecting alot better after all the strong reactions this summer. I absolutely loathe child actors and the amount of screen time Carrel's son received was totally unnecessary and annoying. It had a few bright moments and funny scenes, but every time it went back to the kid and his "love story", which was often, it sucked the air out of the entire film. I was also a little annoyed that this movie broke the 4th wall at times to take digs at romantic-comedy cliches, only to use them itself in a completely straight way later on (meltdown-brawl-misunderstanding between all the guys, Carrel's graduation speech-love proclamation). Otherwise I enjoyed most of the ensemble cast- Carrel, Stone, Gosling, Moore, Tomei- and it's certainly a cut above many rom-coms but it's just too bad the movie didn't have a better script.7.0/10

• Like 1

Perhaps my favourite film of 2011. I loved every character and the journey they have to go through. Like life, there is no real bad guy in here, people have layers and reasons for doing what they did. You want to hate Emily for cheating on Cal, but then you learn more about her and it kind of makes sense. You like Cal, but you see how he got complacent and so on. Some have said that the twist at the end is unrealistic and that the speech at the end is corny and that may be true, but when you have a film where you love everyone and everything up until that point, you like the payoff. The Three's Company ending where everyone meets and all is revealed is hilarious so that contrived and unrealistic twist fits perfectly.10/10

• Like 2

Perhaps my favourite film of 2011. I loved every character and the journey they have to go through. Like life, there is no real bad guy in here, people have layers and reasons for doing what they did. You want to hate Emily for cheating on Cal, but then you learn more about her and it kind of makes sense. You like Cal, but you see how he got complacent and so on. Some have said that the twist at the end is unrealistic and that the speech at the end is corny and that may be true, but when you have a film where you love everyone and everything up until that point, you like the payoff. The Three's Company ending where everyone meets and all is revealed is hilarious so that contrived and unrealistic twist fits perfectly.10/10

I agree, this was one of my surprise movies of 2011 and I love it. Very funny and real and just a great movie all around.A-
  • Like 1

there's quite a big effort by the director and actors to make a better than average movie out of the half good and half horrible script, but at the end of the day it still is the old formulaic dramedy with the same tired dramatic beats. 

Shame. The cast is great and everyone gives an energetic and charismatic performance. The twist and the climax that follows is perfection. 70/100
Edited by Mad Goffe