CJohn

Weekend Estimates: TDI - 34.5M; MI4 - 20.5M; SH2 - 14M; DT - 11.4M; Alvin 3 - 9.5M; TTSS - 5.7M

If I had to guess some totals- MI4- 220m SH2- 185m Alvin- 145m Dragon Tattoo- 105m War Horse- 90m We Bought a Zoo- 85m Tintin- 80m Devil Inside- 65m New Year's Eve- 57m TTSS- 30m Keep in mind that some colleges are still out this week, so Devil Inside could have decent weekdays before dying next weekend.

Wow, absolutely phenomenal start for 2012. I'd love for this to be a sign that the B.O. slump is over this year, though that's probably just wishful thining. I can't stand that garbage like TDI of all things had to be the one to break out and beat the OW of so many good movies from this past Holiday season, but then again it's total won't be anywhere near most of those anyways. I'm in awe of Mission's run. Even as recently as last summer I had totally written that one off as a surefire bomb, and here it's the clear box office champ of the post summer season of 2011. Of course I had no clue it was going to be such an awesome film either. Totally desrves its success. Impresively enough it will be the first $200m film since My Big Fat Greek Wedding to never have a weekend of at least $30m.

Edited by MovieMan89

If I had to guess some totals- MI4- 220m SH2- 185m Alvin- 145m Dragon Tattoo- 105m War Horse- 90m We Bought a Zoo- 85m Tintin- 80m Devil Inside- 65m New Year's Eve- 57m TTSS- 30m Keep in mind that some colleges are still out this week, so Devil Inside could have decent weekdays before dying next weekend.

DT will only make 105 with oscars..

Why can't DT get to 110 or even more without Oscars?I mean if I compare this with It's Complicated they look very similar. Opened around Christmas and after the 3rd weekend both have 76 millions with basically the same amount in the 3rd weekend(if the estimates are correct). Also It's Complicated had some GG noms, but not a single Oscar one. And the drops for DT seems somewhat better.

Why can't DT get to 110 or even more without Oscars?I mean if I compare this with It's Complicated they look very similar. Opened around Christmas and after the 3rd weekend both have 76 millions with basically the same amount in the 3rd weekend(if the estimates are correct). Also It's Complicated had some GG noms, but not a single Oscar one. And the drops for DT seems somewhat better.

Although It's Complicated seems like a bit far out comparison, I agree DT has a shot at 110 with or without Oscar boost, especially if the actual stays above 11M. I mean, with good weekdays it's had so far and such great drops passing 100M is locked and loaded. Only question is how much more it will make.

Why can't DT get to 110 or even more without Oscars?

I mean if I compare this with It's Complicated they look very similar. Opened around Christmas and after the 3rd weekend both have 76 millions with basically the same amount in the 3rd weekend(if the estimates are correct). Also It's Complicated had some GG noms, but not a single Oscar one. And the drops for DT seems somewhat better.

The one thing that It's Complicated had that DT does not is a couple of beloved comic actors and a late-blooming box office star who not only was coming off a 600-million-dollar-grossing global smash but who also happens to be the most esteemed, iconic American actress of her generation. Edited by Cochofles

DT will only make 105 with oscars..

No. DT is on track to make $115-120 mio w/o Oscars. Next week is MLK so it`ll have another over $10 mio weekend. That`ll put it at over $90 mio. Do the math from there. Unless it magically loses over 1/2 of theaters and screens.

The one thing that It's Complicated had that DT does not is a couple of beloved comic actors and a late-blooming box office star who not only was coming off a 600-million-dollar-grossing global smash but who also happens to be the most esteemed, iconic American actress of her generation.

Streep is huge with adults. Huge. Edited by CJohn