K1stpierre

Jurassic World Weekend Thread | Official Est. 204.6M | 208.8M - Actuals

Depends: if this only gets to 130M, predicting a 55% drop would have it at 58.5 next weekend. If this does 160 that puts it at around 72M. I don't think JW's second weekend will fall 60% or higher, think it got a good enough audience love for it to have some good legs.

I don't know about that. I think it's entirely possible it could, especially with the massive marketing leading to the film overhyped.

Best of luck to both films.

Edited by Insidearcher

They are. They're building a "Universal Classic Monster Cinematic Universe."

See, that sounds stupid.

They need to make each film work on their own right.

A remiagining of the Black Lagoon with a bigger creature and perhaps some more things would work very well.

But Jaws isn't a property like Jurrasic Park is. JP was an established franchise well before 2015. There not very highly regarded but they were very big hits, big enough so people remember there were more than one JP back in the day.

Calling Jaws a franchise is like calling Psycho a franchise. It's one of the most famous movies of all time and a bunch of sequels no one remembers they even existed.

• Like 1

The next couple weekends are going to be huge.

Jurassic World doing $140 million+ OW

Inside Out doing $60 million+ OW ($70-80 million possible, too) 

Ted 2 doing $60 million+ OW 

Spy holding up well

Max potentially surprising 

July 2015 looks extremely well-rounded, too. A good summer so far, even if May was a mild setback. 

Nope, WOM is too good.

But Jaws isn't a property like Jurrasic Park is. JP was an established franchise well before 2015. There not very highly regarded but they were very big hits, big enough so people remember there were more than one JP back in the day.

Calling Jaws a franchise is like calling Psycho a franchise. It's one of the most famous movies of all time and a bunch of sequels no one remembers they even existed.

A JAWS would remake could work, but it would have to be very different and bigger than the original scale wise.

JAWS, like GODFATHER, CASABLANCA, EXORCIST, etc should never be remade.

Nostalgia is tough because it doesn't apply to every property. You have to be able to figure out which ones it will and will not apply to.

For example, nostalgia sure didn't help AMERICAN PIE 4 or SCREAM 4. Both of those properties were too "of their time" and their primary audience outgrew the concept & thusly didn't go see the new film.

Jurassic Park was perhaps the defining film brand of the 1990s. It's core audience at this point in time (2015) still goes to the movies frequently and likely has families to bring along in tow. As I pointed out in my KJ article, the 22 year gap betweem JP1 and JW is the same gap there was between A NEW HOPE and THE PHANTOM MENACE.

Both properties sat at these very specific point in peoples minds where they were old enough to feel fresh and exciting again once reintroduced, but not old enough to the point where to many they felt lame/date (think STAR TREK in the 2000s).

ID4-2 is the next big one. Another brand which you could see make a comeback and find major success in my opinion would be AUSTIN POWERS.

Jurassic Park was a huge part of childhood for a generation. This was always going to happen.

Yeah I expect to see more reboots and/or sequels to many 90's properties (you're certainly already seeing it as you point out). The past decade or so has a lot of 80's remakes for the same reasons you listed above.
  • Like 1

Yeah guys, Jaws isn't franchise like Jurassic Park is. Next to the original, the best remembered Jaws movie, is probably Jaws The Revenge, and that's only because it's considered a legendary bad movie, and also for it's easily mockable tagline.

Edited by Insidearcher
  • Like 1

It's not as though Jaws is like GWTW. Countless people who saw it in theaters upon release are still alive, many of them barely 50.

I think almost everyone who saw Jaws in theatres would now be over 50, I'd say most would be over 60 actually.

• Like 1

First "Jaws" is an Iconic Franchise. We are celebrating the 40th Anniversary this month.  And Yes it would be a "Nostalgia" brand in my opinion if they did another sequel cause it would relate to the past of a whole generation where are alot of people who experienced the first "Jaws" are alive and well today.   Yes the sequels never lived up to the original but they do have a cult fanbase on home video and they didn't do that bad when look at the grosses.  It's just "Jaws" 1 did so good, so revolutionary, none of the sequels could ever live up:

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $260,000,000    55.2%Foreign:  $210,653,000    44.8% = Worldwide:  $470,653,000  

JAWS 1 1975

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $81,766,007    43.5%Foreign:  $106,118,000    56.5% = Worldwide:  $187,884,007  

JAWS 2 1978

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $45,517,055    51.7%Foreign:  $42,470,000    48.3% = Worldwide:  $87,987,055

JAWS 3-D 1983

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $20,763,013    40.0%Foreign:  $31,118,000    60.0% = Worldwide:  $51,881,013

JAWS 4 1987

That's 800 Worldwide for a "Shark" franchise.  I think "Jaws 5" would definitely have people interested.  I just don't know if they are thinking about doing it.   LOL @ "Jaws 19" in "Back to the future II". 

Edited by filmscholar
  • Like 1