K1stpierre

Jurassic World Weekend Thread | Official Est. 204.6M | 208.8M - Actuals

Not sure if anyone ever answered this but:

1989(within less than a month of one another, then Batman destroyed them both just a week later):

2 7 Ghostbusters II Col. $112,494,738 2,410 $29,472,894 2,410 6/16

3 2 Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade Par. $197,171,806 2,327 $29,355,021 2,327 5/24

Ghostbusters 2 caught a break there with Indy opening on a Wednesday. Likely would have been a mid-30's weekend if it opened on a Friday. Still, B89's 3-day beat Indy's 5-day. Batmania was enormous.

• Like 2

It'd be the first time since 1979 a weekend record has been set in December.

Of the 27 times the record has been set, 10 of them happened in June, 8 in May, 4 in July, 3 in December, and 1 each in August and November.

That's interesting though. I would've guessed May is the record-holder, and it seemed to me like a new OW record in June is almost unheard of, but apparently it's not.

That's interesting though. I would've guessed May is the record-holder, and it seemed to me like a new OW record in June is almost unheard of, but apparently it's not.

5 straight record breakers were June releases:

1989 - Ghostbusters 2

1989 - Batman

1992 - Batman Returns

1993 - Jurassic Park

1995 - Batman Forever

Somewhere along the way Hollywood decided it wasn't that great of a month for a big opener.

Lol at James for thinking Fantastic Beasts will top DH2's OS OW.

DH2's $314m was topped only by a million. How the FUCK will Beasts do that even with China? Get over yourself. $200m-ish.

• Like 3

DH2's $314m was topped only by a million. How the FUCK will Beasts do that even with China? Get over yourself. $200m-ish.

On the perspective plus side it'll probably have excellent numbers for a spin off.

Ghostbusters 2 caught a break there with Indy opening on a Wednesday. Likely would have been a mid-30's weekend if it opened on a Friday. Still, B89's 3-day beat Indy's 5-day. Batmania was enormous.

That's interesting. I never realized Indy3 opened on a Wed. Pretty amazing it broke the old OW by around 3m(over 10%) after burning off demand for two days(well two evenings anyway). But, yeah, Batman 89 was a game-changer.

• Like 1

I expect it to fall 80ish m from the rest of the territories and open to around 85m in China. That's how. With 3D and inflation, that is around an ordinary Potter number, so yeah, think before you comment. 

Aso, a 200m-ish OS OW with China would be horrible. Are you kiddin me. There's no way it opens under 70M there. That would mean 130-150m from the rest of the world, which would be an uber-massive drop.

Edited by James

I expect it to fall 80ish m from the rest of the territories and open to around 85m in China. That's how. With 3D and inflation, that is around an ordinary Potter number, so yeah, think before you comment. 

Aso, a 200m-ish OS OW with China would be horrible. Are you kiddin me. There's no way it opens under 70M there. That would mean 130-150m from the rest of the world, which would be an uber-massive drop.

A HP spinoff without any of the HP characters in it, including the title character.

E.T. had two re-release:

Lifetime Gross: $435,110,554

Date Title (click to view) Gross 06/11/1982 E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial $359,197,037 07/19/1985 E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial (Re-issue) $40,607,502 03/22/2002 E.T. (20th Anniversary) $35,306,015

had a re release in 1983 or 84. Still iys nothinh to one run king titanic that mesmorized the world

yep Jack got the biggest film deal for one movie in history thanks to that mania red. Holy shit 60-70m, which would be 130-140m today

It will crash if it doesn't break the record too.

keep fingers crossed no storms. I want to see whst sws can do on dec. Same with the mighty Avatar 2. These films can break dec restraints if ideal conditions occur. Jpworld already proves rules are made to be broken. Going to be insane this mth watching the run of jpworld and sw7 Edited by Superman001
  • Like 1

5 straight record breakers were June releases:

1989 - Ghostbusters 2

1989 - Batman

1992 - Batman Returns

1993 - Jurassic Park

1995 - Batman Forever

Somewhere along the way Hollywood decided it wasn't that great of a month for a big opener.

The traditional start of summer used to be Memorial Day weekend. Sometime in the 90s (Twister?) they started pushing for earlier in the month, and it seems to have settled on the first weekend of May.

In some ways, the weekend records happening there make sense. April has traditionally been a weak month, so a film that releases there has very little competition to worry about, and it can get a large share of theaters and screens. Once you get to Memorial Day or the preceding weekend, there's more films that are vying for attention.

But any film that sets the weekend record mostly does so by tapping into the general audience interest. JW might have had a bit of an advantage from a few weeks of slightly down business, but it's mostly that big based on how much people want the dinosaur action.

The traditional start of summer used to be Memorial Day weekend. Sometime in the 90s (Twister?) they started pushing for earlier in the month, and it seems to have settled on the first weekend of May.

In some ways, the weekend records happening there make sense. April has traditionally been a weak month, so a film that releases there has very little competition to worry about, and it can get a large share of theaters and screens. Once you get to Memorial Day or the preceding weekend, there's more films that are vying for attention.

But any film that sets the weekend record mostly does so by tapping into the general audience interest. JW might have had a bit of an advantage from a few weeks of slightly down business, but it's mostly that big based on how much people want the dinosaur action.

Yeah, JW just happened to be the perfect storm. Avengers 2 didn't grab the pop culture consciousness like the first movie did. May was good but not great from a box office perspective. Memorial Day downright sucked, San Andreas did well but not the all encompassing monster kind of opening, and last weekend performed below expectations. Plenty of pent up demand for an entertaining movie across all quadrants just came together for JW. Still didn't think it would hit these highs though.

Even me the biggest Jurassic Park fan had no idea Jurassic World would be so massive and break the opening weekend record. So proud.

take a bow jay hwood buddy us jp park fans came together and shut this mf down! Avengers 2 officially going to get the bronze booby prize domestically this yr as well. And gets no prize where it matters its look like, as im pretty sure sw7 beats it ww.
  • Like 1