K1stpierre

Jurassic World Weekend Thread | Official Est. 204.6M | 208.8M - Actuals

Fury Road did ok. I think you can get ready for underperformance from Antman, Terminator 5, Fantastic 4 reboot.

Fury is showing NO LEGS though

it fell off the CLIFF this weekend with virtually no competition in the "R" club other than INSIDIOUS

I liked your post, but at the same time, I don't necessarily agree with it.  No one has made a really good shark attack movie in years.  At least not a main stream one.  There was the Reef and a couple of others that were good, but not great.  JAWS redux could be really good.  And it would basically market itself.  If Spielberg was to EP it, I think it would do really really well.

Deep Blue Sea did 73m in 1999, so yeah, it may not be destined to bomb, but there's no way I could see a Shark-Attack movie come anywhere close to Jaws unadjusted in todays horror-standards.

Fury is showing NO LEGS though

it fell off the CLIFF this weekend with virtually no competition in the "R" club other than INSIDIOUS

There's no competition this weekend?

How about a film that makes 200 million dollars?  That's plenty of competition.

And falling off a cliff?  REally?

May 15–17 2 $45,428,128 - 3,702 - $12,271 $45,438,128 1
May 22–24 3 $24,639,262 -45.8% 3,722 +20 $6,620 $88,079,541 2
May 22–25 3 $31,287,441 -31.1% 3,722 +20 $8,406 $94,727,720 2
May 29–31 4 $14,178,236 -42.5% 3,255 -467 $4,356 $116,467,770 3
Jun 5–7 5 $7,831,453 -44.8% 2,720 -535 $2,879 $130,665,718 4
Edited by baumer

I really wonder how much Inside Out's opening will be hurt by this. Pixar has a fanbase, but it looks like JW will hit the zeitgeist in a big way, especially with all the 200M OW reports on TV shows on Monday, and kids love dinosaurs so there is a big chance parents will go to JW next week instead of Inside Out, could hurt it by 5-10M or more.
I'm probably colored by my cousin's reaction (he's very excited for IO and doesn't want to see JW), but I think the "zeitgeist" effect is being seriously overestimated. Even if kids do want to see it I just can't imagine parents giving in so easily when a non-worrisome option that is still very much worth their time is a few theaters down. Edited by tribefan695

Deep Blue Sea did 73m in 1999, so yeah, it may not be destined to bomb, but there's no way I could see a Shark-Attack movie come anywhere close to Jaws unadjusted in todays horror-standards.

That guy from Hung & LLcoolJ with a cameo from Samuel L Jackson. How didn't it beat Titanic again?

You don't like Safety Not Guaranteed?? :(

Of course I liked it, but that doesn't mean I think he did anything in that film to make them trust him with a large budget film.

The main issue would obviously be salaries. Reeves and Bullock would both probably demand 15-20M for it. Even if they do, it may be worth it to pay both of them provided the script is as good as early rumors suggested. I can see it be a big hit, especially if they ignore Speed 2 similar to what Jurassic World did.

True, but I don't know, a 75M budget could be doable and it'd be sweet I imagine. What studio is that at?

I know we're speaking of different things here, but Keanu really doesn't need anything.  He's gone on the record as saying that he's made more money than he would need for 50 lifetimes.  I think he makes the movies he wants to make now.  He doesn't need a studio hit, he just needs to be happy with what he's doing.  My bet is, however, that if the Wachowski's asked him to do a 4th Matrix, he would.  

I agree with what you're saying; but all I meant is I want a mainstream Keanu popularity return because he's such an awesome guy. I want him to be famous again, although he doesn't care about it. :P

• Like 1