grim22

JURASSIC WORLD WEEKEND ACTUALS | TRIPLE RECORD!!!! (DOM - 208.8M; OS - 315.3M; WW - 524.1M). DOWN GOES AVENGERS.

500 million is almost certainly the floor. Movies don't just open huge in June out of nowhere and get under a 2.5x multiplier.

Would require under 2.4 to miss 500. Not likely given how backloaded the weekend was and the 3rd act of the film is a real crowd-pleaser.

2.5 = $522m

2.6 = $543m

2.7 = $564m

2.8 = $585m

Somewhere a gathering of hipster movie bloggers is lamenting this Hat Trick of a weekend coupled with the tanking of Tomorrowland.

Their mantra and cry for originality over franchises is dashed yet again thanks to Jurassic World. 

Mind you Tomorrowland is based on a Disney theme park attraction just like POTC.

The hipster blogs like IndieWIRE have been all over JW since Thursday. Vulture even plastered Facebook with an article about how JW sucks because there's not enough feminism in it.

Holy Jesus fucking christ.... this is literally the most exciting weekend at the box office I have witnessed in my 10+ years of following the BO.

sw7, b vs supes and the mighty one next. The return of jake sully and nefeteri.. Wow baum, i wonder if id4 ii will make a huge splash as well. Lol return of the 90s heydays lol?

I lau

@60%, your Margin of Victory OW King was the 1st OW record holder I saw:

Return_of_the_jedi_old.jpg

Yeah, that 60% boost is crazy huge. And I believe RotJ still has the adjusted wide opening per theater average well in hand to this day. Which is more impressive when you consider how many fewer screens theaters had back then.

Holy Jesus fucking christ.... this is literally the most exciting weekend at the box office I have witnessed in my 10+ years of following the BO.

And sadly, I didn't really followed it, I was absorbed by Orange is the new black AND the Steam sales games I bought. I saw JW Thursday night though. Add GoT finale yesterday night (today for me) and E3. This week-end and week is quite huge on the entertainment side.

Edited by Shaldun
  • Like 1

Tele and his displeasure for animated cinema is unhealthy.

I agree with this. I'm gonna have a talk with him later. Straighten him up.  :angry:

• Like 1

@60%, your Margin of Victory OW King was the 1st OW record holder I saw:

Return_of_the_jedi_old.jpg

Yes, from what I understand (not born until '87) Jedi was insane. The Fri-Sun portion of its Wed-Mon extended opening is still the highest per-theater admissions for a wide 3-day. It only opened in 1,000 theaters, but there were fewer theaters overall in the country, movies didn't generally open in 1,000 locations, and legs actually existed, so even though many, many people didn't see the movie that weekend, that was a huge opening for the time. I bet that every location in North America that was playing it on OW was playing practically to capacity all weekend. Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1

Universal is having a great year. Pending SW7 potential gross, JW is looking to be on top Domestically after a record breaking OW, while FF7 will win OS after being only the 3rd movie in history to make over $1B OS.

Yes, from what I understand (not born until '87) Jedi was insane. The Fri-Sun portion of its Wed-Mon extended opening is still the highest per-theater admissions for a wide 3-day. It only opened in 1,000 theaters, but that was a huge opening for the time. I bet that every location in North America that was playing it on OW was playing practically to capacity all weekend.

I remember Jedi very well.  The theater near me always had a mile or longer line for pretty much all showings.  It was nuts

• Like 2