grim22

JURASSIC WORLD WEEKEND ACTUALS | TRIPLE RECORD!!!! (DOM - 208.8M; OS - 315.3M; WW - 524.1M). DOWN GOES AVENGERS.

BvS? Could be doable.

ID4 P2? I dunno yet.

glad they threw that ahole will smith out of id sequel. Dude wanted way more than golblum. Greed hurt him on this one bigtime, as no way sucide squad beats id42. Lol will yur an idiot. He may not be the mega ah now that hes into law of attraction when i worked with him in 1997, but he seems to still be arrogant and greedy. Id4 didnt makr money because of you alone will. Jeff gpldblum was bigger. A pity jeff didnt choose his scripts well after headlining jp, jp2 and id4. Jeff could have been bigger than anyone. He was the god of the 90s. Hope id4 on his shoulders with much of the orginal cast breaks the bo piggy bank right in will smiths face. Edited by Superman001

Independence Day 2 for the new opening weekend record! 90's nostalgia lives!

The thing though is that there have been no dinosaur movies in quite a long time, where as we see the earth being threatened and famous landmarks being destroyed roughly 5 times every summer. It will have the nostalgia appeal, but not as much as JW did.

• Like 2

He's right, though. The Minions are super manufactured:

http://www.jasonporath.com/2014/12/the-rise-of-the-hashgag/

I agree with a lot of what this article says but where it begins talking about the "hastag effect" or whatever and the recurring jokes within animated films I can't help but disagree with.

This is something that has always existed in comedy called the "Rule of 3s" which is that when an inside joke is repeated around 3 times evenly spaced throughout a film, or an act, a show, it will usually have it's maximum effect

• Like 1

So many people are so sure Star Wars will take this record back.

I'll be checking the box office that weekend in a secure bunker far away in the event the movie doesn't make the record.

The fallout will probably destroy civilization as we know it.

If the movie is shit and it gets out before release that may be the only thing that takes the record away from it. And/or maybe even SW won't be able to override the December OW restraint.

I'm just gonna post this on every JW thread. LOL

Get all the money! Whooohooo!

YiXpISj.gif

So happy I was here for this weekend. Historic!

quoting because I laughed pretty hard at that gif

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Like 3

This is where I saw Return of the Jedi...once the grandest most awesome theater in Windsor Ontario:

918b.jpg

awesome b! Wait what has it become now baumerman?

I hope sws shskes us up ow wise, even though that puts a lil pressure on the juggernaut to take the oe record back come dec 2017 lol. I dont think any film will hold as epic as avatar 2 did domestically for its ow. Though us sws fans sjould make the hold sweet none the less

http://photos.marinij.com/2014/09/29/photos-a-history-of-star-wars-screening-at-the-century-cinema-theater/#10

This is where I camped out for Episode 1. Lucas personally renovated the single-screen theater (it's close to where he lives) and was known on occasion to use it for special and/or test screenings.

Prepare for December. :lol:

• Like 1

I agree with a lot of what this article says but where it begins talking about the "hastag effect" or whatever and the recurring jokes within animated films I can't help but disagree with.

This is something that has always existed in comedy called the "Rule of 3s" which is that when an inside joke is repeated around 3 times evenly spaced throughout a film, or an act, a show, it will usually have it's maximum effect

The key difference being organically driven by the story (as created by the writers, artists, etc) versus inserted and repeated at the request of Marketing.

Pitch Perfect has an outside shot at 190 mill.

And $290 million globally. On a $29 million production cost. For many studios that would be their biggest (investment to gross ratio) success story of the year, but Universal already had 50SOG gross over $560 million globally on a $40 million production cost this year.

Yes, but there are ways of "manufacturing" where you let your artists tell a story and then figure out a way to market it, not the reverse.

But this has been going on for decades. Why are we getting a new Star Wars? It's not because Disney loves the material so much that they think new stories can be told for eons and they want artistic vision. They realized people still buy those plastic lightsabers and other Star Wars paraphernalia like hot cakes, and Star Wars still holds a place in hearts. Just the name markets itself. It's all for money. 

Its evident by their plan to pretty much have a Star Wars movie every year. And isn't a cartoon coming? They're going to end up over saturating it if that happens. They did the same thing to Pixar. They pushed these sequels onto Pixar. They realized Cars is a $1 billion brand, and wanted to keep it relevant. They don't care what story Pixar makes, as long as it keeps parents buying Cars bedspreads. Same goes with Marvel. Feige may say otherwise, but Disney is basically assembly lining Marvel movies now. They're making all these movies from their themepark rides because its self promotion to them. When you're pitching something to them now, you have to guarantee it can sell some toys. And its not just Disney, all studios and corporations are guilty. 

We're not going to get JW2 because theres more story to be told, we're getting it because of the opening and the clear audience attraction. And what will Uni do next? Install a Jurassic section in the theme park. That's just how we are today. I don't see why we should fault the Minions for being money printers, when most everything we have now is made to print money and synergize, to in turn print even more money. I hope we get good stories along the way, but money will always be the main motive for any corporation, and marketing will always play a big role.

• Like 2

This is where I saw Return of the Jedi...once the grandest most awesome theater in Windsor Ontario:

918b.jpg

It just recently reopened  but this was the theater where I saw films in the 80's.  Back to the Future, Jedi, Empire, ET, Raiders, Top Gun, Ghostbusters, you name it I saw it.

avalon_theatre_012.jpg

• Like 6

Different world now.. There's no reason to camp out when we have the ability to purchase tickets online, not to mention showing the movie on the hour, by the hour, around the clock in some areas.. I remember in 1999, I stood in line all day.. Great time and all, then when the line began moving, I get to the ticket window, only to be handed, get this: A LINE TICKET to get back in line after standing in line for several hours just to purchase tickets to this god awful movie.. Yeah, I went there: EPISODE 1 Sucked donkey balls after the 1st 10 minutes of the movie, you knew something was terribly wrong...

There's no reason to but people probably will anyway. :lol:

• Like 2

If the movie is shit and it gets out before release that may be the only thing that takes the record away from it. And/or maybe even SW won't be able to override the December OW restraint.

the ow dec restraint can be broken, but its going to be tuff. I think either sws or camerons mega sequel could pull it off. Folks could be worn down a bit with all thesr movie giants eating up cash tho. Hope sws shows us magic, but stay away from my avatar domestically and ww lol.