grim22

Monday #s: Jurassic World 25.34M | DOWN GOES TDK MONDAY

Yup, fastest to $250m - 5 days, old record Avengers at 6 days

Fastest to $300m - est 8 days, old record Avengers at 9 days

Fastest to $350m - est 9 days, old record Avengers at 10 days

Fastest to $400m - est 12 days, old record Avengers at 14 days

Depending on how this weekend holds up for JW, I think it will be the fastest to $450m as well, around 16 days (maybe 15).

Avengers has the record to $450m (17 days), $500m (23 days), $550m (31 days)  

Avatar has the record for $600m at 47 days, and the records for $650m and $700m as no other movie has reached those in their unadjusted first-runs.

Thanks. Should be fun counting down to those up coming records. :D  :D

What about fastest to 1b WW? I know FF7 got that record. Can JW beat that too?

Some additional numbers from The-Numbers.com:

Movie Distributor Genre Gross Change Thtrs. Per Thtr. Total Gross Days
- (1) Jurassic World Universal Action $25,344,820 -56% 4,274 $5,930   $234,151,090 4
- (2) Spy! 20th Century Fox Comedy $1,737,916 -60% 3,715 $468   $58,288,846 11
- (5) Pitch Perfect 2 Universal Comedy $724,025 -53% 2,677 $270   $171,837,740 32
- (12) Home 20th Century Fox Adventure $126,524 -43% 584 $217   $173,378,923 81
- (13) Poltergeist 20th Century Fox Horror $95,184 -40% 1,069 $89   $46,213,376 25
- (15) Far from the Madding Crowd Fox Searchlight Drama $62,383 -48% 366 $170   $10,811,995 46
- (14) Furious 7 Universal Action $44,625 -64% 357 $125   $350,872,260 74
- (-) Me and Earl and the Dying Girl Fox Searchlight Drama $26,100 -49% 15 $1,740   $222,596 4
- (-) The Longest Ride 20th Century Fox Drama $7,934 -52% 116 $68   $37,356,393 67
- (-) Kingsman: The Secret Service 20th Century Fox Action $4,603 -57% 75 $61   $128,202,333 123
- (-) Little Boy Open Road Drama $3,913 -59% 56 $70   $6,472,793 53
  • Like 3

Ok i was one if those heartily believing Ultron to be a disappointment and preaching the difference between flop and disappointment back then even though its numbers were huge. But there's no way in hell this monday number can be considered a disapppintment by any standards. Record breaking number by a movie expected to make half of this...how is this anything but super-extreme success?

Edited by Infernus

btw, Shawn just gave me a little tidbit of news: the forum set a new record for number of posts in a day on Saturday (4,721 posts). The old record was 4,117 posts, set on May 6, 2012.... AVENGERS' first Sunday. Another little benchmark for the dinos. :)

• Like 25

LOL I just saw that Feige tweet and sure enough it's already here. Also loved how he singled out Chris Pratt in his tweet... wonder if they'll make a point of including Star-Lord in more movies now.

Nice of Fiege but I love the Pratt is front in center.

btw, Shawn just gave me a little tidbit of news: the forum set a new record for number of posts in a day on Saturday (4,721 posts). The old record was 4,117 posts, set on May 6, 2012.... AVENGERS' first Sunday. Another little benchmark for the dinos. :)

5,000 posts on December 20? 

• Like 3

As much as I'd love a g7, I do hope GSW finishes, because I'm sick of this rubbish LeBron MVP talk.

Since he's far and away the best player on the floor for this series, sounds legit to me.   He's the only reason it's been interesting at all.   Without him, GS would have swept in 4 by a 20 point margin every night.

What I don't get is what the hell parents are thinking bringing kids to JW. Talk about a movie that is NOT family friendly... unless one enjoys children who suffer from night terrors. This film has a solid PG-13 rating and I wouldn't go below 11. Yet there were insane parents who had kids as young as 2... TWO!!!!.... in the showing I went to. 

I saw two instances of parents having to console distressed 5 year olds in my showing on Friday.   The little girl next to me refused to look at the screen for about 5 minutes at one point.    The mom never budged from her seat though.  :)      The other mother took the poor kid out into the lobby for a few minutes and then returned.    So not sure it will effect the box office....parents want to see it pretty bad.

LOL I just saw that Feige tweet and sure enough it's already here. Also loved how he singled out Chris Pratt in his tweet... wonder if they'll make a point of including Star-Lord in more movies now.

Seems like they earned that right by being the ones who took a chance on him in the first place and made him a star.   They actually contributed to a portion of the JW box office by making Pratt a name before it was released.   

Don't think there will be a Game 7. Both the NHL and NBA playoffs followed the same pattern:

Favorites won game 1, Underdogs somehow came back to win the next 2 games and take an improbably 2-1 lead in the series, favorites cam back and won the next 3 games to wrap up the series.

I agree.   GS is the far superior team.   This should have been an easy sweep if not for the epic Lebron performance.   I just read that the Cavs only shoot 18% from the field during the few times Lebron isn't on the floor.    He can put up more amazing numbers tonight and it won't matter since no player can do it alone.

Ok i was one if those heartily believing Ultron to be a disappointment and preaching the difference between flop and disappointment back then even though its numbers were huge. But there's no way in hell this monday number can be considered a disapppintment by any standards. Record breaking number by a movie expected to make half of this...how is this anything but super-extreme success?

"Expectations".    The numbers never change, just the perception of the numbers.   So it's all in the mind of the person looking at the number.    For instance, JW just set the OW record....shouldn't that mean it should pass Avengers total?    Isn't it a "disappointment" if it falls short of that mark?    It all depends upon the perspective you use.

TDK is still impressive as hell as it had no 3d, but glad JW is kicking ass. Batman and JP are the best franchise in movie history.

There it is.    I didn't notice any Nolan fans bringing up any ticket price stuff when JW beat TA's OW record....but now it's time to bring it up again.    ;)

• Like 1

Agreed.   I've gone to see this twice in non-peak showings and the theaters were still packed.    JW is legit.

43.8% is TDK's drop, not JW's (55.7%). My point is you always bitch about the Batman fans bringing up inflation, but inflation isn't even the issue with TDK's Monday. It's the percentage drop that was so crazy.

You don't even need to bring up ticket price inflation. 43.8% Monday drop is insane even in July.

It was very reasonable as well to think the Titanic and the total gross record was going down. 43.8% drop after a record weekend and at that time the record was at 601.  That Monday was nuts.

• Like 1

You can bring it up because admission is the king of tracking, but there's no sour grapes, these are mere facts. I'm glad JW is doing well, was a fun ride.

With all due respect, this is an overseas attitude. There's no way to get anywhere close to specific admission numbers here in the US, so while it's informative in a general sense for us box-office wonks, it doesn't really work for anything accurate. Adjusting dollar amounts isn't precise either... a good way to approach it is like baseball: there are different eras, and you can't really ever equalize them in a perfect, equitable way, so acknowledge the differences.

• Like 7

It was very reasonable as well to think the Titanic and the total gross record was going down. 43.8% drop after a record weekend and at that time the record was at 601.  That Monday was nuts.

And that's exactly why I wanted to see JW hit 28+ yesterday because it would have given pretty strong indication of a run to 600+ at the very least, just like TDK's Monday pretty much locked up a 500+ total. I'm kinda thinking JW is borderline for 600 right now, maybe 575-580. Fucking incredible total but I'm greedy, I want a nice even milestone like 600.