jb007

Tuesday Actuals: JW 24.3M | DOWN GOES TDK TUESDAY | Not the Spielberg, Cameron, or Nolan thread!

Spielberg would never let that happen.

Tele just explained Jurassic World already carried a production budget between $180M and $190M... You really don't believe Spielberg wouldn't allow the production costs of the sequel to mega earner approach/exceed $250M? Not unlike Jurassic World, Spielberg's an executive producer on Transformers 2 and Transformers 3, no?

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

Find me one cinephile, movie historian or film critic that thinks TA is among the greatest films ever made and I'll find you a unicorn.

It's all about genre and TA is considered to be one of the greatest superhero movies ever made. There aren't top critics, as far as I know, who claim the Matrix is the greatest film ever made. But it hailed as one of the greatest sci fi films. Again, all about genre.

Edited by Clavius

Tele just explained Jurassic World already carried a production budget between $180M and $190M... You really don't believe Spielberg wouldn't allow the production costs of the sequel to mega earner approach/exceed $250M? Not unlike Jurassic World, Spielberg's an executive producer on Transformers 2 and Transformers 3 too, no?

None of those even pushed $300 million tough.

70M+ if I had to guess. Sunday gross will hold really well.

Sounds reasonable. 

Now the question is that whether JW affects IO or vice versa and whether that impact is severe. May be they will coexist without hurting each other much.

Spielberg is very budget conscious. War of the World had the highest approved budget in history at the time, but I don't think he went beyond $130m or so. He is a very responsible filmmaker when it comes to budgets.

Exactly, if you start going down the "deserves" rabbit hole then none of the mega blockbusters deserved what they made.

LOTR earned every penny, to be honest it should have crossed the 1B mark DOM for every movie :D

Spielberg is very budget conscious. War of the World had the highest approved budget in history at the time, but I don't think he went beyond $130m or so. He is a very responsible filmmaker when it comes to budgets.

But who says their opinions are right? Generally I agree with RT, but there are movies I like and they don't and vice versa.

Obviously one wouldn't always agree. But they are still experts. There's no one better to look at that come closer to giving a perfect view of films/ quality of visual effects/ CGI etc etc...

People really need to divorce their personal opinions when talking about the box office.  There will always be movies that one considers to be terrible that will make big money.

For what it's worth, movies with record breaking opening weekends had mixed receptions more often than not.  Like:

Jaws 2

Every Which Way But Loose

Star Trek: The Motion Picture

Return of the Jedi

Temple of Doom

Beverly Hills Cop II

Ghostbusters II

Batman Returns

Batman Forever

Dead Man's Chest

Spiderman 3

I'm sure some of these films some of you absolutely love and some you absolutely hate.

Edited by Tubes
  • Like 1

Obviously one wouldn't always agree. But they are still experts. There's no one better to look at that come closer to giving a perfect view of films/ quality of visual effects/ CGI etc etc...

Oh come on. Critics can be so picky and hard to please, and they can be known to over analyze. To me theyre no better than audience opinions. My personal opinion is #1. Not the critics.

Edited by Jandrew
  • Like 1

SW OT, Jaws, JP, ROTK, Close Encounters, Ttianic, T2, Alien/Aliens, Saving Private Ryan, some of the Indiana Jones films and some animated films are pretty much the only modern age "blockbusters" you see on All Time lists.

Exactly, if you start going down the "deserves" rabbit hole then none of the mega blockbusters deserved what they made.

I am not talking about deserving in any particular aspect. I am jUST saying that the very top grossers should be exceptional in one way or the other just like they always have been.

Edited by Infernus

Sounds reasonable. 

Now the question is that whether JW affects IO or vice versa and whether that impact is severe. May be they will coexist without hurting each other much.

It would be like there's another 160M+ opener this week. Busy theaters this weekend for sure. Lots of kids.

That's over-rated calling them an "expert". It's stupid because again its just their opinion. What makes them an expert? Because they watched more films than me? Because they went to school? Anyone with eyeballs and some sense of a brain can do what they do. Sometimes critics can be so full of themselves and really nit pick a movie.

• Like 3

But, he's an executive producer. Trust me, I'd love it if he decided to direct the next one. He was executive producer for...

Transformers 2 - $200M+

Transformers 3 - $190M+

Transformers 4 - $210M+

...At the very least, I expect a $210M+ production budget for the next Jurassic.

I am not talking about deserving in any particular aspect. I am jUST saying that the very top grossers should be exceptional just like they always have been.

But the point is that most (if not all) of the previous record-holders weren't considered exceptional (by either some or many). It's just the way things go.

That's what i am stressing. Its not about personal opinions I am talking about!! Its the opinions of critics and experts that i am stating and not personal opinions.

Avengers did win any awards, did not make the AFI top films of 2012. AFI look for good films that also have culture impact.