jb007

Tuesday Actuals: JW 24.3M | DOWN GOES TDK TUESDAY | Not the Spielberg, Cameron, or Nolan thread!

I am not talking about deserving in any particular aspect. I am jUST saying that the very top grossers should be exceptional in one way or the other just like they always have been.

And Jurassic World is exceptional in terms of summer entertainment. The last act of this movie is every bit as crowd-pleasing as The Avengers' final act. And for whatever reason, Universal seems to have a monopoly on putting out live action dinosaur movies. So that factor does make it exceptional among the typical summer fare.

It would be like there's another 160M+ opener this week. Busy theaters this weekend for sure. Lots of kids.

+1

I noticed Corona in your profile pic. Now the only time I get Corona is at the airports at ridiculous prices of Rs. 600 per bottle (almost $10). Thankfully I fly every week. So I get my 2 coronas per week.

I miss the 12 packs.

• Like 1

I am not talking about deserving in any particular aspect. I am jUST saying that the very top grossers should be exceptional in one way or the other just like they always have been.

JW made $524 million in 5 days, without Japan and some small markets. It could have started to collapse in its 2nd day in markets around the world, it did not.

Obviously lots of people think JW is exceptional in one way or another.

JW made $524 million in 5 days, without Japan and some small markets. It could have started to collapse in its 2nd day in markets around the world, it did not.

Obviously lots of people think JW is exceptional in one way or another.

That's really largely a function of marketing at this point. One may be somewhat related to the other, but not necessarily so.

Or, to put it another way: your last sentence may be true, but not because of your first two sentences.

That's really largely a function of marketing at this point. One may be somewhat related to the other, but not necessarily so.

Or, to put it another way: your last sentence may be true, but not because of your first two sentences.

I'm saying it's already holding up too well to not be a film that a good number of people think highly of. Bad or even mixed WOM kills fast in the social networking age, i.e. Godzilla.

I'm saying it's already holding up too well to not be a film that a good number of people think highly of. Bad or even mixed WOM kills fast in the social networking age, i.e. Godzilla.

Yes, of course. It has good WOM. I don't necessarily agree that means most think it's "exceptional", but perhaps I'm just parsing words too closely. To offer a counter-example: TF2 was making giant globs of money hand over fist for its first week or two. Do you think most thought it was "exceptional"?

Edited by Telemachos

Yes, of course. It has good WOM. I don't necessarily agree that means most think it's "exceptional", but perhaps I'm just parsing words too closely.

Well of course we wont know that for sure until we see the 2nd weekend drop lol. But someone here posted that Rentrak reported JW got one of their highest "Would you recommend..." percentages ever for a blockbuster.

Yes, of course. It has good WOM. I don't necessarily agree that means most think it's "exceptional", but perhaps I'm just parsing words too closely. To offer a counter-example: TF2 was making giant globs of money hand over fist for its first week or two. Do you think most thought it was "exceptional"?

I would say most of the general audience probably thinks it was a great time. They are not nearly as nitpicky or cynical about this stuff as we are. They think Transformers 1 is exceptional for instance (just look at the enormous home video sales). And I would say most people who see JP4 probably feel the third act is exceptional by blockbuster standards.

Everyone I know who has seen it has loved it. WOM is strong as far as I can tell, and obviously the fantastic Monday and Tuesday numbers support that line of thinking. I'm beginning to think some of the users on the forum live in caves in the middle of a desert.

• Like 6